• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 6

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football Week 6

Penn State is on Bye so there's not much point in watching any games this week. But if you're really bored here's the rundown of games to hold you over until next week's epic Penn State vs UMass clash.

12 Oklahoma vs 3 Texas 12:00 ABC at Cotton Bowl Tex-5
The Red River SHOOTOUT from the Texas state fair. Big Tex. Fried food on sticks. Burnt Orange and Burnt Ends. And a huge game with playoff implications.

The winner has the inside track on the Big 12 Champ game and a playoff spot. The Big 12 does not have divisions. The 2 best teams play in the Champ game so this could be part 1 of this matchup.

Texas had the big win vs Bama and a win vs a good Kansas team. Oklahoma hasn't played a ranked team yet.

Maryland at 4 Ohio State 12:00 FOX OSU-20
battle of unbeatens. Maryland has a good offense with QB Taulia Tagovailoa and some really good WR. They haven't faced a defense like OSU. And the OSU defense hasn't faced a dynamic offense yet. Could be exciting early but i doubt MD can hang for 60 minutes

23 LSU at 21 Missouri 12:00 ESPN LSU-4

MIzz is undefeated but hasn't played anybody yet. LSU lost to the only 2 good teams they've played. This is only the 4th meeting between them and one of those was the 78 Liberty Bowl. LSu's offense has been really good and probably more than Mizz can handle

13 Wash State at UCLA 3:00 PAC12 Network UCLA-3

no respect for the 13th ranked Wazzu. Wash St is coming off a big win vs 15th ranked Oregon State. UCLA coming off a loss to Utah whose offense may be worse than Iowa's. UCLA's freshman QB looked awful vs Utah and they only scored 7 points.

11 Alabama at Texas A&M 3:30 CBS ALA-1
why is 2 loss LSU ranked and 1 loss TAM is not? TAM's only loss is to 17 Miami. Tenn got handily beat by a bad Florida team and they're ranked too. Seems odd that TAM has been left for dead. Bama is struggling on offense but their defense is legit. Game will probably be decided by which QB makes more mistakes

20 Kentucky at 1 Georgia 7:00 ESPN UGA-14.5

another battle of unbeatens. UK is flying high after beting up on Florida. But Florida sucks. Georgia had another sleepwalk win vs Auburn. Georgia's defense is not the shutdown defense of the last few years. Their run defense is suspect and kentucky is a good run team. If Georgia keeps up the sluggish play, the're going to come up short one of these weeks.

10 Notre Dame at 25 Louisville 7:30 ABC ND-6.5

ND;s offense has not looked good vs the only 2 ranked teams they've played. They probably should have beaten OSU and lost to Duke. In any case, they've had back to back gut check games and they have USC next week. Classic setup for a letdown. I don't think Louisville is physical enough to pull it off.

Arizona at 9 USC 10:30 ESPN USC-21.5
USC's offense is great but their defense is crap. They travel to Notre Dame next week so this could be a letdown game.

I’ve got Maryland pulling the upset. OSU looks vulnerable this year. It will be ugly regardless.

Thanks Tape, I like reading these . Draws me into the college a little bit more.

Salute the nation

I’ve got Maryland pulling the upset. OSU looks vulnerable this year. It will be ugly regardless.
Same Sarge. OSU's will lose one or more against Maryland, PSU, or Michigan. Michigan is another one, they aren't a come from behind type of team and can be beaten. Penn State is also a team that isn't built to come from behind. Drew Allar is Shakey and has signs of Hackenberg syndrome. Pribula is their best QB IMO, a true dual threat

Same Sarge. OSU's will lose one or more against Maryland, PSU, or Michigan. Michigan is another one, they aren't a come from behind type of team and can be beaten. Penn State is also a team that isn't built to come from behind. Drew Allar is Shakey and has signs of Hackenberg syndrome. Pribula is their best QB IMO, a true dual threat
When OSU plays PSU it won't matter who the QB is. Franklin can't beat Day. The Lions can't run like they were expected to and OSU will run through PSU's lightweight DL. Another disappointing season at Happy Valley as long as JF is the HC.

When OSU plays PSU it won't matter who the QB is. Franklin can't beat Day. The Lions can't run like they were expected to and OSU will run through PSU's lightweight DL. Another disappointing season at Happy Valley as long as JF is the HC.
Sounds similar to the Steelers situation with HCMT....ugh I hate that this is where we are

I would lean closer to the next big ben vs next Hackenburg. He is young and the inexperience shows but you can't deny the talent. I don't see Penn State playing for a championship game this year but we will have a shot next and then Allar probably goes pro and Pribula gets his shot to keep the train moving.

Hopefully, PSU is learning how to run block during this off week. They sure will need that and big chunk plays during Ohio State and Michigan.

Notre Dame playing another undefeated team for the 3rd week in a row....and another one next week!

Dont expect Louisville to be as challenging as the Ohio St or Duke....but their on the road again and will be a tough out for them.

Go Irish!

I expect Ohio State to beat Maryland, but Maryland will put up some points. Why is Maryland unranked?

I expect Ohio State to beat Maryland, but Maryland will put up some points. Why is Maryland unranked?
They haven’t played anybody. I mean, they haven’t played ANYBODY.

Who is this mythical team that's just crushing it vs Ohio State? Harbaugh lost 5 straight to OSU and probably would have lost 6 in a row if the 202 game wasn't cancelled due to covid. Harbaugh finally turned it around and won the last 2. Funny thing is Harbaugh's average score vs Ohio State is a 9 point loss. Same as Franklin.

I don't understand why so many PSU fans just completely disregard the huge talent gap between OSU and Penn State over Frankiln's tenure. Ohio State has a huge talent advantage over every single team except Bama, and Georgia.

Ohio State has lost only 10 games total (not including bowls) since Franklin has been at PSU (9 years). OSU has only lost 6 Big Ten games in that time.

The games vs OSU have been competitive. Last year, penn state was winning vs OSU until they sustained multipe OL injuries and had to have a 3rd string RT who got destroyed and turned the game.

I'm frustrated too, but I'm also realistic about the talent deficit. Franklin has been slowly building up the depth. This year is the first year where PSU is even close on talent.

I support Franklin because the recruiting is getting better. He's making aggressive coaching changes, unlike Tomlin. Franklin fired his first OC after a few seasons and brought in Joe Moorehead from Fordham. That was a GREAT hire. Moorehead left for the head coach job at Miss State. They had Justin Fields committed and lost him when Moorehead left.

He lost another OC to a head job and hired Ciroca from Minnesota. Franklin fired him after 1 season and brough in the current OC who is doing a great job. He lost the DC to a head coaching gig and went out and got Manny Diaz which was an absolute home run. Diaz said he wanted a year off from coaching but Franklin was relentless.

I see a coach doing all he can. Franklin wouldn't let Matt Canada stick around.

I hope OSU is unbeaten for the matchup with Penn State. Maryland's offense is good but i just can't see their defense holding up the whole game.

I fully expect Bama to win by at least 14…

TAM has a good run defense. Miami beat them by repeatedly throwing deep. Is Milroe up to that? I think this will be a close game. I'm probably going to bet the under.

Big 10 just released the future schedule for the new expanded conference. No More divisions. USC, UCLA, Wash and Oregon included. Big 10 finally figured out what the SEC knew years ago. It's stupid to have your best teams play each other every single year.

Some teams have "protected rivals" Like OSU vs Michigan. Penn State has no protected rival. That screws PSU slightly because if they had a protected rival, it would have to be MD or Rutgers which is usually a win.

PSU does not play Michigan next year. Penn State will be USC's featured home game.

2024 home: Illinois, Maryland, Ohio State, UCLA, Washington.
2024 away: Minnesota, Purdue, USC, Wisconsin.

2025 home: Indiana, Nebraska, Northwestern, Oregon.
2025 away: Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State, Rutgers, UCLA.

2026 home: Minnesota, Purdue, Rutgers, USC, Wisconsin.
2026 away: Maryland, Michigan, Northwestern, Washington.

2027 home: Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Washington.
2027 away: Illinois, Indiana, Oregon, Purdue, Wisconsin.

2028 home: Indiana, Iowa, Ohio State, Oregon, UCLA.
2028 away: Michigan State, Nebraska, Rutgers, USC.

Big 10 just released the future schedule for the new expanded conference. No More divisions. USC, UCLA, Wash and Oregon included. Big 10 finally figured out what the SEC knew years ago. It's stupid to have your best teams play each other every single year.

Some teams have "protected rivals" Like OSU vs Michigan. Penn State has no protected rival. That screws PSU slightly because if they had a protected rival, it would have to be MD or Rutgers which is usually a win.

PSU does not play Michigan next year. Penn State will be USC's featured home game.

2024 home: Illinois, Maryland, Ohio State, UCLA, Washington.
2024 away: Minnesota, Purdue, USC, Wisconsin.

2025 home: Indiana, Nebraska, Northwestern, Oregon.
2025 away: Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State, Rutgers, UCLA.

2026 home: Minnesota, Purdue, Rutgers, USC, Wisconsin.
2026 away: Maryland, Michigan, Northwestern, Washington.

2027 home: Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Washington.
2027 away: Illinois, Indiana, Oregon, Purdue, Wisconsin.

2028 home: Indiana, Iowa, Ohio State, Oregon, UCLA.
2028 away: Michigan State, Nebraska, Rutgers, USC.
The Big 10 will have a lot of potentially good teams in it every year. Looks like they will get 2 games outside the conference to warm up at the beginning of the season. At least, that's what it looks like. I can't see them playing anyone of significance in those 2 games as there are too many conference games that are more important. With no divisions, that means no conference championship at the end of the season which I am good with especially when they expand the playoffs.

The Big 10 will have a lot of potentially good teams in it every year. Looks like they will get 2 games outside the conference to warm up at the beginning of the season. At least, that's what it looks like. I can't see them playing anyone of significance in those 2 games as there are too many conference games that are more important. With no divisions, that means no conference championship at the end of the season which I am good with especially when they expand the playoffs.
Conference championship between the top two teams, right?

I don't know but I wouldn't. If there are playoffs, adding another game to 3 or 4 you may have to play in a playoffs doesn't make sense.
I just looked it up and they will still have a championship game. They aren't going to give up that money and the winner and probably loser will get in regardless.

ESPN2 has split screen coverage with McAfee on the sideline. Who the hell cares to watch split screen coverage of commentators standing on the sideline?