• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...............vs Patriots.....Week 2

Chicoman

Reaction score
Let the excuses begin.............Looking back on this game your sports casters will say the Steelers sufferred a let down this week after a tough game last week. The reality of it all is that last week shouldn't have even been close considering our opponent had 5 turnovers and their QB was crushed under a Steelers pass rush that had 7 sacks. The 600 lb gorilla in the room right now is our starting QB Mitch Trubisky. IMO he shouldn't be our starting QB! He shouldn't even be our #2 QB. He can't read defenses pre-snap....watch his INT today....all the proof you need. He can't go through his progressions because if he could he would have seen a wide open George Pickens for an easy TD in the 3rd QTR on 2nd down & 8 but instead threw it to Pat Freirmuth on the same side for a gain of 3 yds. His footwork and mechanics are god awful....watching him hopping around back in the pocket with good protection and throwing most of his passes off his back foot. The guy has no arm strength either! If you watched the pathetic Hail Marry at the end of the first half....he had to toss the ball 55 yds to the endzone to give his receivers a chance and he couldn't even get it to the 10 yd line despite no pressure. I swear to god if the receiver is not working his way back to the football Trubisky struggles to complete the pass. So far in 2 games I've seen him throw one pass over the middle of the field and that was today before the half to Pat Freirmuth with two minutes to go before the half into Triple Coverage on a ball he had no chance to catch. I know people are criticising Matt Canada but I don't think play calling was as big of an issue today as it has been under Canada last year. This loss is strictly on Mitch Trubisky........in today's NFL you can't have a QB who can't throw for more than 200 yds in today's NFL. The O-line in 2 games has given Trubisky plenty of protection to throw the football also. I see nothing from this guy to show me that he has imrpoved at all since his time in Chicago. If you ask me he actually looks worse! This offense has had 511 yds of total offense in 2 games.....Mitch Trubisky in the 4th Quarter today led two 3 & OUT drives today with the game on the line. If you can't see that it's time to give Kenny Pickett the starting job you are really in denial about Trubisky he is just GOD AWFUL!

I guess the other question everyone is wondering is it Matt Canada's play calling? I don't know....Ben Roethlisberger had his worst year as a pro under Matt Canada last year but Ben also had six 4th Quarter comebacks last season. We will never seen that from Trubisky but last season Ben averaged 234 YPG throwing the football last season. Before I render judgement on Matt Canada....I'd like to see how Kenny Pickett does as our starting QB. Canada has definitely called some god awful games but I think some of that might have had to do with our O-line last season......Mitch has had time to throw the football in his first 2 games and he looks terrible! I know Trubisky tossed some shade at Matt Canada with his Post Game comments when asked about throwing to the middle of the field or lack of it he said "Call concepts to get receivers there". Now earlier this week Canada was asked the same question and he said "Then throw it there!". Who knows but it sure sounds like there's a rift between our Offense and our OC. So maybe Canada deserves equal blame...that's not an excuse for Trubisky's piss poor play.

Defensively this team really missed TJ Watt today (Steelers are winless without him starting) and failed to get pressure on Mac Jones and has 0 sacks today. Perhaps Defensively they just wore down at the end of the game but they'll need to step it up for Thursday night as they will face a real challenge trying to stop Cleveland's running game. We saw the Steelers Defense struggle today especially late in the game to stop the run allowingh almost 5 YPC today vs New England.

This team could be staring at a 1-2 start after Thursday in Cleveland because I think this offense might actually get shut out in Cleveland Thursday night after seeing how pathetic they have looked the first 2 weeks.

One thing is for certain....Ben Roethlisberger wasn't the problem last season!

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Devin Bush - Foot Injury in 3rd Quarter being evaluated....he didn't finish the game.

Game Balls:
Minkah Fitzpatrick - 1 INT, 6 tackles, 1 Pass Defensed
Myles Jack - 13 tackles
Terrell Edmunds - 4 tackles, 1 Pass Defensed
DeMarvin Leal - Stats won't show it but he's disruptive when he's in there....almost had an INT today on a pass defensed....Cam's heir apparent on the DL.

Game Goats:
Mitch Trubisky - I've seen enough of this bum! The guy is worse than he was in Chicago! Give me Kordell Stewart over this bum anyday and twice on Sunday! 42 for 71 for 362 yds 2 TD's 1 INT
Akhello Witherspoon - FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT! KNOCK IT DOWN KID!
Gunner Olzewski - Muffed Punt....really ****** US HARD!
Cam Sutton - Gotta make the INT especially when it's thrown right in your hands like Mac Jones threw today.

FU's:
Mike Tomlin - You don't live in your fears! Then start Kenny Pickett! If he struggles then maybe we can point more blame on Matt Canada as our OC because Pickett knows his offense from college.

Last edited:
F.U. to this offensive game plan. Ben wasn’t his former self, but he obviously wasn’t the problem either. It fools nobody and is an awful lot of fluff that doesn’t lead to anything.

Game balls
Jack
Fitz
Mitch....stood up for himself when asked after game about no calls long or in middle...answer when the play will be called upstairs, we will run it. Canada has shown in two games that last year was no fluke and Ben not able to move around why we looked bad was completely wrong by Tomlin Cilbert.

Goats
Defense that did nothing all day especially second half. No pressure, got beat over and over with the over-the-top short pass, poor coverage and tackling
Bill saw first half it worked, and he beat it to death second half .
Canada and this new offense. When you run two yards on first down and throw under the sticks you will never average more than 16 a game.
Nothing long nothing across middle. As Batch said on radio.. Mitch cannot change play with what is called with this offense. Asked if Mitch is not seeing players open down field.. Batch said no..the call is underneath and that is where it goes. Batch said does not matter what QB is in the same calls leads to the same outcome.
Tomlin outcoached once more and cannot for sake of himself make any changes at half time.

Big Goat to Heyward with his crap action on two kneel downs ..use that energy an anger during the game to actually stop someone.

Fu to officials that seemed lost most of the day especially on the no interference call

Chicoman

Well-known member​

JoinedApr 20, 2014Messages2,764Reaction score2,462Points113
I hate seeing Trubisky suceed. It means we will have a SUCK A$$ QB for another week! Some Defender please take his knees out! BOTH OF THEM!

I always like reading your after game interpretation. But after reading your comments in the game day thread,especially the one above,I have to give you the Mr Irrelevant today. Who the **** wishes his own player to get his knees taken out. You’re right with what you started out with on this thread. NO Excuses.

Chicoman

Well-known member​

JoinedApr 20, 2014Messages2,764Reaction score2,462Points113
I hate seeing Trubisky suceed. It means we will have a SUCK A$$ QB for another week! Some Defender please take his knees out! BOTH OF THEM!

I always like reading your after game interpretation. But after reading your comments in the game day thread,especially the one above,I have to give you the Mr Irrelevant today. Who the **** wishes his own player to get his knees taken out. You’re right with what you started out with on this thread. NO Excuses.
I'm a passionate Steelers fan! Yeah I say st00pid ****! I ******* HATE Trubisky! He's GARBAGE! Take it for whatever the **** you want! HE SUCKS! Canada SUCKS! Pickett is the future! THE FUTURE IS NOW!

Everyone wanted to blame Big Ben (A FUTURE HOF QB) for last year's poor performance on offense! Can we put that baby to bed? Ben was not the problem! OBVIOUSLY!

When the line can't block, it doesn't matter much who the QB is.
$0.02.

I'm a passionate Steelers fan! Yeah I say st00pid ****! I ******* HATE Trubisky! He's GARBAGE! Take it for whatever the **** you want! HE SUCKS! Canada SUCKS! Pickett is the future! THE FUTURE IS NOW!

Everyone wanted to blame Big Ben (A FUTURE HOF QB) for last year's poor performance on offense! Can we put that baby to bed? Ben was not the problem! OBVIOUSLY!
Correct, and unfortunately Tomlinson take away will be the one drive Mitch had and think there is something to grow from offensively.

dial your bullshit back or I will rethink the punishment for post in the game thread

you have a bug up your *** over Mitch and that has been obvious since he was signed

I guess the other question everyone is wondering is it Matt Canada's play calling? I don't know....Ben Roethlisberger had his worst year as a pro under Matt Canada last year but Ben also had six 4th Quarter comebacks last season.

Query: Weren't Ben's comebacks basically when Canada, due to time and no huddle, was taken out of the game? If so, that is just another condemnation of Canada. Also, I agree they don't trust Trubisky over Ben. But, oddly, our one TD came today in pseudo rush time ... where Canada was likely out of the game.

Give me Pickett, I am now ok with that. But if Canada is the O Coordinator does it matter?

the no passes over the middle are the play calls

when have you seen any Steeler receiver running a route over the middle?

it is canada's ****** play calling

yes mitch needs to get better but he is not the only thing holding the offense back

Query: Weren't Ben's comebacks basically when Canada, due to time and no huddle, was taken out of the game? If so, that is just another condemnation of Canada. Also, I agree they don't trust Trubisky over Ben. But, oddly, our one TD came today in pseudo rush time ... where Canada was likely out of the game.

Give me Pickett, I am now ok with that. But if Canada is the O Coordinator does it matter?
Good point.....I'm no Canada fan. We will see the Canada effect as long as he's our OC but I'm ready to start Kenny Pickett!

Gotta dump Canada's offense/Fichtner's offense. Four years of this crap. Tomlin absolutely has a hand in this mess and he needs to quit living in his fears and allow this offense to be aggressive. I can live with the mistakes if you're trying to score because this conservative stuff isn't putting up more than 17 points per game anyway.

Game ball to our punter.

Fu to refs that can't see a false start
Not really. He is the same as last year too, 1 great punt followed by a 39 yard pathetic kick giving the pats the ball at the 50

Gotta dump Canada's offense/Fichtner's offense. Four years of this crap. Tomlin absolutely has a hand in this mess and he needs to quit living in his fears and allow this offense to be aggressive. I can live with the mistakes if you're trying to score because this conservative stuff isn't putting up more than 17 points per game anyway.
Tomlin loves Canada's out of the box thinking when it comes to offensive scheme

I was waiting for this thread and since you opened the door...

Mitch is a serviceable QB. He and (we) are being dis-serviced by the inept playcalling from our OC.

I believe it's time for Coach Tomlin to call this man on the red carpet and demand more play action and throws of 15 yards or more...

Mitch did not muff a punt.

Mitch did not miss a sure INT.

Mitch did not miss the MOST OBVIOUS false start in modern football.

Mitch DID throw an ill-advised high-ball that resulted in an INT.

Oh, Mitch was not the reason we couldn't stop the in-cut patterns on 3rd down most of the day.

And finally, Mitch was not the reason we didn't have one sack all day...

Not a fan of his play style but sheesh give the kid a break.

It's the whining for Pickett and wishing that somebody who is just out there trying to do his job to the best of his ability would get hurt for me.
But, I will say that I am glad Chico has finally found the "return" key on the keyboard so that he can post in paragraphs now.

Mitch is a serviceable QB. He and (we) are being dis-serviced by the inept playcalling from our OC.

I believe it's time for Coach Tomlin to call this man on the red carpet and demand more play action and throws of 15 yards or more...

Oh, Mitch was not the reason we couldn't stop the in-cut patterns on 3rd down most of the day.

Yes Mitch is serviceable.....I would be ok with him serving me dinner....not as the starting QB for my Pittsburgh Steelers!

You can't win with a QB who can't make plays! We almost witnessed that last week despite 5 turnovers and 7 sacks and a balls out performance by our Defense!

If you were building a football team would you make Mitch Trubisky your starting QB? I mean really you've had 4+ years of game footage of the guy.....have you seen anything that would convince you he was the best guy for the job? Hell he wasn't even the best QB statisically in the pre-season!

Mitch was responsible for missed throws.....he had George Pickens behind the Defense on the same side of the field as he was rolling to when he tossed a 3 yd completion to Muth. If he throws it to Pickens there it's an easy TD!

Come to the realization that Trubisky is not the answer or the future at QB. You have Kenny Pickett waiting for his chance.....He has shown enough in the pre-season to show that the stage in not too big for him. LET HIM START!

So true.
It's been said that Mitch is a game manager at best. But for that strategy to be effective all other aspects of the game need to be top notch.
Thats just not happening.

Don't recall seeing 1 pressure on Mac Jones all day he had way too much freedom - Get well soon TJ
The underneath stuff was there all day for *ats. We didn't adjust and the tackling is still horrendous. Is there a rule against knocking someone on their ***?

Mitch didn't lose this game but he didn't win it either. The boos had as much to do with play calling as they did Mitch. I think the happy feet mentioned has as much to do with his trust in this OLine as it does in his poor mechanics.

I'm 50/50 on Pickett today just to see. He can't do much worse.

But knee-jerk reactions in the nfl seldom pay dividends.

Yes Mitch is serviceable.....I would be ok with him serving me dinner....not as the starting QB for my Pittsburgh Steelers!

You can't win with a QB who can't make plays! We almost witnessed that last week despite 5 turnovers and 7 sacks and a balls out performance by our Defense!

If you were building a football team would you make Mitch Trubisky your starting QB? I mean really you've had 4+ years of game footage of the guy.....have you seen anything that would convince you he was the best guy for the job? Hell he wasn't even the best QB statisically in the pre-season!

Mitch was responsible for missed throws.....he had George Pickens behind the Defense on the same side of the field as he was rolling to when he tossed a 3 yd completion to Muth. If he throws it to Pickens there it's an easy TD!

Come to the realization that Trubisky is not the answer or the future at QB. You have Kenny Pickett waiting for his chance.....He has shown enough in the pre-season to show that the stage in not too big for him. LET HIM START!
Whether people wanted to admit it or not this was going to be a transition year or two from Ben. Pick your bottom of the barrel players at QB to do this with... Either except it for what it is and suffer through or put in Pickett and see if he is the guy or the next Mitch.