• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.........week 13 @ Bungles.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
I'll call today's game a small step in the right direction. This was the first game in a long time that our offense actually looked like an NFL offense with 421 yard total offense. The first time since Week 2 2020 vs the Broncos that the Steelers have gained over 400 yds total offense. The big difference today was the use of the middle of the football field and 3rd down conversions for the Steelers offense. Kenny Pickett was efficient today 24 for 33 278 yds for a QBR of 97.8. I thought Kenny did a better job today (15 first downs via pass) of pushing the football down the field 8.42 YPA which is a big improvement vs his usual 4.5-5.0 YPA. The running game today was once again excellent and Najee's running today was excellent 99 yds 6.6 YPC.....he ran hard today and finished his runs strong. Time of Possession today for the Steelers was 37 minutes to 23 minutes and you could see the Steelers wear down the Bungles front 7 late in the game. I would have liked to see the Steelers offense put up more points especially when you gain 421 yards on offense but Pickett was very accurate throwing the football today and seeing the offense use the entire football field was refreshing to say the least. if there was any downside in this game I saw several plays where I saw a lack of effort from Dionte Johnson...especially on Warren's fumble in the red zone Dionte didn't even react to it and you watch his eyes see the fumble and he did nothing. That's the type of **** that really gets under my skin. Can you imagine him doing that if Chuck Noll was the Head Coach?

Defensively the Steelers Defense really capitalized on Browning making his first NFL start. They were able to keep pressure on him the entire game. The Defense held the Bengals running game in check as Mixon had 8 carries for 16 yds the entire game putting all the pressure on Browning to deliver and he couldn't get it done. If not for 2 tipped balls caught by Jamarr Chase the Bengals really only had a screen pass that Mixon took 40 yds into Steeler territory to setup their final FG to make it 16-10.

I felt that this game could have been a blowout for the Steelers, perhaps it should have been a blowout but I'll take the win as the Steelers improve to 7-4 on the season and head home to take on the Arizona Cardinals next Sunday.

A few random thought.....I wish the Steelers could hit Darnell Washington out there in stride on a wheel route over the middle of the field. My god I just want to see it happen! Nick Herbig is too dynamic of a football player to not be out there for a majority of snaps. He's a player but can this kid play ILB?

What does everyone think of this performance by Kenny Pickett? One some of his deep throws he had a real nice touch on his passes downfield. I was pleased.....he's still a work in progress but he seemed quite a bit more comfortable out there than I can ever remember him being in his brief NFL career as QB. Seeing him enganged on the sidelines with Eddie Faulkner discussing the offense was night & day vs seeing him on the sidelines last week with Matt Canada.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
George Pickens - Wind knocked out of him
Calvin Austin - Hurt ankle late in the game not sure of the severity of it

Game Balls:
Kenny Pickett - 24 for 33 278 yds - Good performance on the road with pressure on him to perform better and he delivered. Congrats to the longest streak for a Steelers QB without an INT.
Najee Harris - 15 car 99 yds 1 TD. He ran hard today and finished his runs with power
Pat Freiermuth - 9 rec 120 yds....his best game of his career as a Steeler
TJ Watt - 5 tackles, 2 sacks.....he was all over the field today
Chris Boswell - Hopefully there will come a time where we won't need to rely on Boswell's leg for points but we are lucky to have him. He's having a great year!
Trenton Thompson - 5 tackles, 1 INT......who is this guy?

Game Goats:
Dionte Johnson - I can overlook the dropped TD throw but I can't overlook the No Effort performance Dionte showed on Jaylen Warren's fumble. I mean the ball bounced right towards him and he looked at it and didn't even move.....even after the Defender picked it up and ran with it....he didn't even pursue the ball carrier. Man that is bush league crap.....the guy would have been cut if Chuck Noll was the Head Coach.

FU's:
Matt Canada - **** MATT CANADA because he ******* SUCKS! I'm glad he's gone!

Pickett made a great throw to Pickens down the sidelines, he also missed Pickens twice for at least long gains and possibly touchdowns. Calling him a work in progress is one way of saying it, calling him a below average QB until proven otherwise is another.

Maybe he improves more with Canada gone, but commence the homer slobbering over him this week from Big Deke and other homers

I’ll give Najee credit for showing up after running his mouth last week, let’s see more, he also remains below average player.

Game balls to our new offensive 2 man brain trust, I suspect those plays we saw today were in the playbook and Canada refused to call them

Game ball to our front 7, it was nice to see Nixon stuffed for once

Game ball to Trenton Thompson, a pick today and a solid game last week, they might have a gem here

Last edited:
Pickett made a great throw to Pickens down the sidelines, he also missed Pickens twice for at least long gains and possibly touchdowns. Calling him a work in progress is one way of saying it, calling him a below average QB until proven otherwise is another.

Maybe he improves more with Canada gone, but commence the homer slobbering over him this week from Big Deke and other homers

I’ll give Najee credit for showing up after running his mouth last week, let’s see more, he also remains below average player.

Game balls to our new offensive 2 man brain trust, I suspect those plays we saw today were in the playbook and Canada refused to call them

Game ball to Trenton Thompson, a pick today and a solid game last week, they might have a gem here
He didn't play like a below average QB today. That is what matters. There isn't a QB that doesn't miss throws. But when you get a 72 percentage completion percentage on the day, and have a TE over 100 yards on the day for the first time since Vance McDonald while simultaneously breaking a Steelers lack of Int record you will get a better than average QB play for the day rating.

If that makes me a homer so be it.

Nixon??? Who's that???

I appreciate the new zest on the offensive side of the ball. I'd bet $1000 that the defense could say "we knew what was coming" today.

There were still some missed throws but I am not complaining because, overall, the output was light years ahead of Maple Syrup's playcalling.

George is still under utilized and I think Warren was used 'just a bit' too much today because the Bungals were ready for him (pretty much)...

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but Coach Tomlin sounded off on DJ late in the game. DJ, you, production-wise, are not AB. The dropped TD wasn't really a drop and NO ONE can figure out what a catch is so there's that; but your complacent attitude on the fumble was atrocious. I'd bench you for the 1st quarter next week, if it were me.

Defensively, the middle LB spot is still a sore spot and Levi needs to sit - I'd rather see Pierre play on the outside w/ JPJ2.

We're moving in the right direction...

He didn't play like a below average QB today. That is what matters. There isn't a QB that doesn't miss throws. But when you get a 72 percentage completion percentage on the day, and have a TE over 100 yards on the day for the first time since Vance McDonald while simultaneously breaking a Steelers lack of Int record you will get a better than average QB play for the day rating.

If that makes me a homer so be it.

Rate your Kenny ******* Pickett’s performance over the past calendar year as a starter: above average, below average, poor, great?

Would you draft him again in the first round?

Would you consider him to have NFL accuracy? NFL pocket presence? Is it fair to judge him on that 1 calendar year in?

Do you think he will be a franchise QB based on what you’ve seen so far?

I’ll grade him above average today, but who cares about 1 game

Rate your Kenny ******* Pickett’s performance over the past calendar year as a starter: above average, below average, poor, great?

Would you consider him to have NFL accuracy? NFL pocket presence? Is it fair to judge him on that 1 calendar year in?

I care about 1 game because the difference is Canada is out. That is no coincidence.

I will say we have to see more sure. But what I saw today was a light switch up from what we saw under Canada. It is relevant until shown otherwise.

Nixon??? Who's that???

I appreciate the new zest on the offensive side of the ball. I'd bet $1000 that the defense could say "we knew what was coming" today.

There were still some missed throws but I am not complaining because, overall, the output was light years ahead of Maple Syrup's playcalling.

George is still under utilized and I think Warren was used 'just a bit' too much today because the Bungals were ready for him (pretty much)...

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but Coach Tomlin sounded off on DJ late in the game. DJ, you, production-wise, are not AB. The dropped TD wasn't really a drop and NO ONE can figure out what a catch is so there's that; but your complacent attitude on the fumble was atrocious. I'd bench you for the 1st quarter next week, if it were me.

Defensively, the middle LB spot is still a sore spot and Levi needs to sit - I'd rather see Pierre play on the outside w/ JPJ2.

So sorry grammar police, Joe Mixon, the Bengals RB, but you knew that

Nixon??? Who's that???

Yeah we took a double wammy hit at ILber hard to overcome that. I think DJ is a hard sit as he does make plays. But yeah there is some things to be coached up.

The offense looked like a different team. Seriously. For those whining about the lack of points ... Jesus ******* Christ, did you watch the game? The Steelers were gyped out of a TD, clearly played for a field goal in the red zone to go up 9, and moved the ball up and down the field. The idea that the 16 points reflects an ongoing problem with the offensive approach is absurd.

Below average.
It's too early to ask that question.
No, it is not fair to judge him one calendar year in, rendering the prior two questions moot.
Too early to ask that question.
How many good games would it take to be convinced that he is an NFL caliber QB?

Below average.

It's too early to ask that question.

No, it is not fair to judge him one calendar year in, rendering the prior two questions moot.

Too early to ask that question.

How many good games would it take to be convinced that he is an NFL caliber QB?
Don't feed the animals!!!

I don't assume anything based on your normal feedback. Buy a bigger keyboard...

You be you criticize my spelling instead of acknowledging your precious Pickett is more likely a bust than a franchise QB and Tomlin hasn’t won a playoff game in years, your defensiveness isn’t showing at all….

You be you criticize my spelling instead of acknowledging your precious Pickett is more likely a bust than a franchise QB and Tomlin hasn’t won a playoff game in years, your defensiveness isn’t showing at all….
NOW...I'll be the grammar police...

You're ebonics (you be criticize my spelling) is an embarrassment.

Since, you've haven't been here long, you don't know that I give the hardest time but I still support him because he's a Steeler. You'd also know that I've given Coach Tomlin a 2 year leash to fix the mediocrity.

Now that you're up to speed, Lloyd, sit your *** down and learn something...

Deflect and sling personal insults like a 14 year old all day if it makes you feel better

You’ve been seduced by Tomlins mediocrity and now defend a head coach and 1st round QB that scored 16 points today and sling insults at anyone who points that out.

To play your I’ve been here longer card, I’ve been here a while too, long enough to remember you defending Kordell Stewart like this too, how’d that play out?

I couldn’t disagree more, a 1st round QB hits those throws and puts games away, Canada sucks but Picketts poor accuracy is a consistent thing and on Pickett

3 years ago anyone criticizing Canada was a hater, but you keep your head in the sand on Pickett and Tomlin and GO PITT!!!
Your ridiculous posts are everywhere so I had to go to the Game Day thread to find this one - the one you chose to ignore my response. So, I'll give it to you again, here:

Ryan Leaf says, "hi". JaMarcus Russell says, "hola"...