• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...................week 14..................vs Ratbirds!

Chicoman

Reaction score
Someone in the game thread said this will go down as one of those Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda games.....and they couldn't have been more right about the outcome of this one. I know Pickett went down early...I didn't see the sack until a replay at halftime where I saw his head fall back and smack the field turf....yup it didn't look bad initially but it was worse than what they showed on TV. Hopefully he can return next week so we can continue to get him reps the rest of the season. The offense wasn't terrible this game but the man at QB couldn't have been much worse. Trubisky struggled all day with poor decision making and showing hesitancy to throw the football which led to 3 INTERCEPTIONS all 3 turnovers in the Endzone or Redzone essentially killing 3 drives and taking a potential 9 points off the Steelers scoreboard. Sorry Mitch supporters he was absolutely the reason the Steelers lost this game. I thought the Steelers play calling should have spread out the Ravens Defense a bit more today......not sure what Canada was thinking but then again he's just not a good OC.

As for the Steelers Defense today they had no answers and John Harbaugh completely outcoached Mike Tomlin and Teryl Austin in this game. On their 2nd drive the Rats started to use their FB Ricard in motion to the left or right matching him up on Highsmith or Watt and taking one of them out of the play.....preventing backside pursuit running away from him or running it right at them behind the blocking of Ricard. The Rats continued to use Ricard as the lead blocker even more effectively up the middle getting blocks on Myles Jack & Devin Bush on 2 consecutive plays as the Rats scored an easy TD to go up 10-0 first quarter. Tomlin and the Steelers had no solution for Ricard who was a GameWrecker today and we saw it on the Rats final drive of the game as they continued to use Ricard as the lead blocker and Tomlin & Austin has no answer to stop him. They let Ricard repeatedly blow holes open in our Defense throughout the game! Even after Huntley went out with a concussion and they had to use their 3rd strong rookie QB the Steelers couldn't stop a one dimensional offense. I'm telling you right now Teryl Austin is a worse DC than Matt Canada is as an OC. Today the Steelers Defense allowed JK Dobbins 120 yds averaging 8.0 YPC. He had more yardage than both Huntley & Brown combined for passing.

Special teams again was a sore spot for our Steelers again today. Highlighted by a dismal 17 yard punt by Pressley Harvin that gave the Rats the ball on our side of the field and 2 plays later they scored a TD to go up 10. How the hell have they allowed Pressley Harvin to remain the Steelers punter for 2 seasons when he continually under performs is something I will never understand!

Looking ahead to next week I hope that Kenny Pickett can return as the starting QB but if he's still in the protocol my next question is do you turn to Mason Rudolph instead of Trubisky? Mitch was absolutely awful today. Any playoff hopes Steelers fans had today died out there after losing to the Ratbirds. If Kenny can't go do you go with Mitch or Mason? I say if Kenny can't go lets see what Rudolph can do. He can't be any worse than Trubisky was today!

Per Tomlin's Post Gam
Kenny Pickett - Concussion, he's in the protocol
Chris Wormley - Knee Injury that's being evaluated

Game Balls:
George Pickens - 3 rec 78 yds....yes Mr. Pickens...the Steelers just need to throw the ball your way a minimum 10 times per game. 3 targets is just not enough!
Dionte Johnson - 6 rec 82 yds on 8 targets.....I think he did good with the opportunities he had today.
Minkah Fitzpatrick - 11 tackles today....he was all over the field today but when your safety has this many tackles it's never a good sign

Game Goats:
Mitch Trubisky - 22 for 30 276 yds 1 TD 3 INT's - 3 INT's 2 in the redzone and 1 in the endzone...taking a potential 9 points off the scoreboard. He cost us this game!
Pressley Harvin - 17 yd punt today.....Someone tell me why he still has a job? Does he have nudes of Tomlin showering with Canada?
Steelers Defensive Front 7 - Terrible run defense today....220 yds given up....no adjustments Defensively at Halftime to take Ricard out of the run game. He was a big factor they ran for 220 yds.
Kevin Dotson - Would have been nice he could have at least gotten a hand on the guy on the play that led to Pickett getting concussed! He was untouched!

FU's:
Mike Tomlin - Coach T was outcoached today by John Harbaugh! No answers for Ricard just blowing holes in the Steelers run D the entire game right to the last first down run! OBVIOUSLY!
Teryl Austin - No adjustments in the 2nd Half to take Ricard the Rats FB out of the game....Ricard really blew up the Steelers run D the entire game and Tomlin & Austin has no answers for it. He is a worse DC than Matt Canada is an OC. PATHETIC!

The game was certainly no fun to listen to on Steelers radio. My local CBS that ALWAYS broadcasts Steelers games decided to go with the Bengals -Shitstains game instead. It's becoming quite apparent this entire team from top to bottom has major problems. Then, there's Harvin, who's in the NFL, punts a 17 yarder was about all I needed to hear on the radio, and the rest was just as bad. Whatever, it doesn't matter until certain things change.

Game Balls
Pickens
DJ
Minkah

Goats
Harvin w/ honorable mention to Mitch. The first INT I would not place the blame on Mitch, the 2nd INT was bad, and the 3rd INT was an overthrown deep shot. We need a combo of Mitch / Kenny. Mitch takes too many risks and Kenny doesnt make enough.
Bush should be on this list he seems to be standing around when guys are running by him.

FUs
Tomlin everything should run through him. When the Ravens lost Huntley we should have been able to shut down the run. We also had a lot of blown coverages today. The defense is a concern

The OC continues to go away from the run in the second half of games. There was no reason to get so pass happy in the 3rd quarter and the first part of the 4th. The Rats were in striking distance.
And when he does run, it's run, run, pass. No variety or adaptation to his play calling.

TJ is hurt. He shouldn't be playing. Bush was nonexistent. They ran all over us. We can't stop the run.

Nice write up Chico!
I’ll say this for the umteenth time. The Pittsburgh Steelers will never be a championship team under Mike Tomlin.
2008 was an anomaly having a veteran team led by veteran leaders, a young franchise QB, playmakers, good OL and running game, excellent defense. Did I mention all in place when Tomlin arrived on the scene.
Since the last SB appearance primarily built prior to him arriving, providing him with very good coordinators and coaches, what has he done the last twelve years?
When he makes the playoffs they always fail and get embarrassed or they don’t make the playoffs and finish 500.
We’ve become the epitome of mediocrity in this league under Tomlin and he has no excuses any longer.
These are ALL his players, coordinators and coaches so it must fall directly on him.
The guy is extremely arrogant, egotistical, thinks he the smartest guy in the room type, and has entirely far too much influence and authority within this organization.
He got outcoached by a coach down to his third string undrafted rookie QB and is clueless when it comes to making adjustments and scheming game plans.
I so wish this guy would move on and go into one of these cushy network jobs so we can start fresh with a new coach with fresh and innovative ideas.
I don’t like where this team is and headed under his direction and think it’s far past time to move on.

Call the elephant out in the room. TJ sucked.
He is still not 100 percent. This team has way more problems than his lack of health.

The true elephant in the room is lack of adjustments besides poor decision making.

He is still not 100 percent. This team has way more problems than his lack of health.

The true elephant in the room is lack of adjustments besides poor decision making.
The whole failing to have the run game involved in the second half of every close game thing is really working a nerve.

The whole failing to have the run game involved in the second half of every close game thing is really working a nerve.
Canada just has no feel for the pro game. I am surprised the guy hasn't overdosed on whatever component makes up crayons.

When a team has 4 trips to the positive side of the field and come away with nothing, you lose.
Even though the D was getting gashed with the run, they still only gave up 16.
Field position with the Harvin punt didn't help.
And the play where KP got concussed looked like something from The Longest Yard.

This was an exasperating game. Why the ******* **** fuckity **** ******* **** ****-a-luck ******* fuckity ****-**** would the defense not put the entire ******* defense in the box and challenge ... whatever ******* lame-**** guy of the street QBing the Ravens to beat them?????????????????????????????????????

The season officially ended today. We need a new OC and DC, a new LT, best avail ILB, Javon Hargrave and a true slot receiver in 2023 or we will remain in the bottom of the North….

This was an exasperating game. Why the ******* **** fuckity **** ******* **** ****-a-luck ******* fuckity ****-**** would the defense not put the entire ******* defense in the box and challenge ... whatever ******* lame-**** guy of the street QBing the Ravens to beat them?????????????????????????????????????
What? 😂

The season officially ended today. We need a new OC and DC, a new LT, best avail ILB, Javon Hargrave and a true slot receiver in 2023 or we will remain in the bottom of the North….
One thing that we don't need is another defensive lineman who can rush the passer but is weak against the run.

You know the answer...or should. It's because we don't deviate from the plan. It's like when someone hits you in the nose, and then comes back to do it again and you refuse to duck.

You know the answer...or should. It's because we don't deviate from the plan. It's like when someone hits you in the nose, and then comes back to do it again and you refuse to duck.

"We just need to execute better, above the line, blink and I cut off your eyelids because the plan is not working so you stick with the plan because if it ain't broke don't fix it and if it's broke then break it again and all that."
- Name that Coach