• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.....................week 16..............vs Raiders

Chicoman

Reaction score
This week will go down in history as bittersweet for the Steeler Nation. It all started with the heartbreaking passing of my boyhood idol & Steelers legend Franco Harris and it ended with a 4th Quarter comeback from our starting QB and victory for our Pittsburgh Steelers. Pickett seemed rusty as he appeared hesitant and struggled tonight missing throws all over the field to Johnson, Freiermuth, Harris & Warren. In the end against all odds he delivered the victory for the Pittsburgh Steelers closing out one emotional week for every Steeler fan and especially all of us who grew up watching Franco Harris. Throughout the season I can't help but notice how great of a blocker Jaylen Warren is and how I'd like to see him more involved in the running game using him and Najee in a tandem backfield. I think he would make a great lead blocker for Najee to help him get to the second level untouched. I think that would add another dimension to our offense and something any Defense needs to acount for out there. Dionte Johnson really does get good seperation out there as a Wide Receiver....perhaps as good as any WR in the league. On offense I'll say this about Kenny Pickett he's improving and tonight was another step in the right direction by not folding after throwing that interception in the 3rd Quarter He's continuing to grow up right before our eyes and he grew up a little bit more tonight as he looked poised on that final drive going 7 for 9 for 75 yds capping it off with a nice TD pass to George Pickens for the victory. Pickett continues to impress me....the arrow is definitely pointing up for Kenny Pickett and the Pittsburgh offense. For the record that's Kenny Pickett's 2nd 4th Quarter comeback. I think we all feel like Matt Canada has worn out his welcome as our OC but I'm wondering if he's going to be brought back next season based on the improvement of Kenny Pickett as our starting QB.

Defensively the defense started out letting the Raiders march right down the field. Their opening drive was 14 plays and took up over 8 minutes for an easy Raiders TD to go up 7-0. They managed to make the necessary adjustments on Defense holding the NFL rushing leader Josh Jacobs to 44 total yards rushing on 15 carries averaging just 2.9 YPC. Cam Heyward was an absolute monster out there getting pressure on Derek Carr and sacking him twice. Robert Spillane might take alot of **** too but he was all over the field tonight with 12 tackles. Derek Carr didn't seem to have good zip on his throws today floating some passes the wind seemed to grab ahold of as the Steelers intercepted him 3 times tonight. I'm still not thrilled with Teryl Austin as our DC but tonight the Defense did a great job after the Raiders scored on their opening drive.

All in all a great ending to a bittersweet week.....For you people who were too young to remember Franco Harris I can tell you he was an amazing football player and an even better human being. If everyone could try to be a little more like Franco Harris this world would be a better place. I think Mean Joe Greene said it best when he said "We had some people together before Franco came, but we didn't win anything. We didn't win any Super Bowls before Franco, and we didn't win anything after him." RIP Franco you will always be loved and cherished and spoken of in the highest regard......A LEGENDARY NFL SUPERSTAR!

That's All Folks......MERRY CHRISTMAS to each and every one of you Steeler fanatics! I hope you have a Great One! Cya next week as we visit the Ratbirds! Lets hope Pickett tears them up!

Per Mike Tomlin Post Game:
Tre Norwood - Hamstring injury
Marcus Allen - Bicep being evaluated

Game Balls:
Cam Heyward - He blew holes in that Raider O-line all night applying pressure. 7 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 pass blocked.
Robert Spillane - 12 tackles tonight he was all over the field.
Pat Freiermuth - 7 rec, 66 yds - clutch catches tonight by Muth....especially on the final scoring drive
Dionte Johnson - 5 for 64 - Should have had 2 more catches but Pickett was off the mark on the throws
George Pickens - 5 rec, 57 yds, 1 TD - Pickett to Pickens for the TD....man I think we will get use to hearing that more and more
Cam Sutton - quietly had a good night 3 tackles, 1 INT, 2 Passes Defended
Kenny Pickett - He showed poise on that final drive tonight...going 7 for 9 for 75 yds and TD. For the game he was 26 for 39 244 yds 1TD, 1 INT. He is growing up right before our eyes. His 2nd 4th QTR comeback this season. First one was @ Indy.

Game Goats:
Mike Tomlin - We know he doesn't live in his fears....Famous last words. Trotting out Chris Boswell to attempt a 52 yd FG in that weather was just dumb! Either go for it or punt it there. No chance in hell with weather conditions like we saw tonight!

FU's:
FU to NFL Network for not showing the Jumbotron footage of Franco Harris and going to commercial. Franco was an Ambassador for the NFL for almost 50 years. He deserves more respec than what they gave him tonight!
FU to the Steeler fans in the game thread after Pickett's INT in the 3rd Quarter calling for ***** Trubisky to come in. How quickly do you forget that he tossed 3 friggin INT's 2 weeks ago vs the Ratbirds. A game which we should have won easily against a 3rd string QB who couldn't even complete a pass!

Man, when Mean Joe wiped his tears with that Terrible Towel….

I found the full ceremony here

Also, it may be Kenny’s 3rd comeback. I seem to remember it mentioned on the broadcast. Would have to look it up. No big deal either way.

Agreed on all points, though.

God bless 32

An ugly win is still a win.
I was reminded that 6 of Franco's 1000 yard seasons came when they played a 14 game season.
Back in the day if Franco had LESS than a 100 yard game it was a bad day.
Steeler fans be like, "Franco only had 86 yards today? WTF?"

Najee's hurdle over that defender untouched was freakin' sweet! I can't think of another RB that does that nearly as well as he does.

Good call. THAT hurdle led to a first down. He is 100% short without the hurdle.

It's hard to see a team that can come back so well, be held back by coach retardo calling stupid plays.

Anyway it's a W, and the stains are eliminated again.

Game Ball to the late great Franco Harris. His immaculate reception was the catalyst for the change of fortune for the franchise. The previous 40 years were abysmal and not very successful. Sometimes a spark is all that is needed to lift someone or something. That one moment forever changed the Pittsburgh Steelers into becoming one of the winningest franchises since the merger.

Secondly- game ball to the team. This was a win that was collective and I applaud these men for not blinking when there was adversity. They smiled in the face of it, cut their eyelids off and did what was needed to come away with the W. There was no true individual style points to be awarded. For this one night, this one game- nobody is the GOAT even thought there are a few, I will give it a pass due to the holiday and what night this game meant to the organization.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Disappointment category: Where was Bradshaw? I realize he has broadcast commitments, but I think the network would understand.
They showed his recorded video he did for the Immaculate Reception and then a piece about Franco not being there. I believe he may have recorded that earlier in the day as well but it may have been live. I think it was during the 15 minutes or so before the game started.

Game Ball to the late great Franco Harris. His immaculate reception was the catalyst for the change of fortune for the franchise. The previous 40 years were abysmal and not very successful. Sometimes a spark is all that is needed to lift someone or something. That one moment forever changed the Pittsburgh Steelers into becoming one of the winningest franchises since the merger.

Secondly- game ball to the team. This was a win that was collective and I applaud these men for not blinking when there was adversity. They smiled in the face of it, cut their eyelids off and did what was needed to come away with the W. There was no true individual style points to be awarded. For this one night, this one game- nobody is the GOAT even thought there are a few, I will give it a pass due to the holiday and what night this game meant to the organization.

Merry Christmas

Najee said on NFL Network post game that the team gave a game ball to Harris's wife.

Game ball to all and what a Christmas gift for Steeler nation. God bless Mrs. Harris and Doc. Steelers did us proud at half time. The defense kept us in the game, Cam had his best game this year he was in it from the beginning. Kenny and the offense were not very good tonight but the drive with a little over two minutes was great. The route and throw were perfect. The effort of some of the players was great. The fans all night were in it, wanting a victory so bad, putting up with the cold, outstanding.

The NFL network should be ashamed at half time going to commercial during dedication of Franco.

They showed his recorded video he did for the Immaculate Reception and then a piece about Franco not being there. I believe he may have recorded that earlier in the day as well but it may have been live. I think it was during the 15 minutes or so before the game started.
I did see that, but with so many former players on the field at half-time, it was sad not to see him there.

An ugly win is still a win.
I was reminded that 6 of Franco's 1000 yard seasons came when they played a 14 game season.
Back in the day if Franco had LESS than a 100 yard game it was a bad day.
Steeler fans be like, "Franco only had 86 yards today? WTF?"
That’s right Ron. Two things Steelernation was adamant about.
Franco gets his 100 yards.
Defense holds opponent to under 100 yards rushing which happened every week.
Oh, a third. How many shutouts the defense can pitch. That was a norm for those Steeler defenses of the 70’s.

I did see that, but with so many former players on the field at half-time, it was sad not to see him there.
I dont think Terry is in the best of health himself and if he would have had to go back and forth with the way the weather was might have been too much to handle. I wonder what Madden would have said if he were still around?

I dont think Terry is in the best of health himself and if he would have had to go back and forth with the way the weather was might have been too much to handle. I wonder what Madden would have said if he were still around?
he would say that play would bother him till the day he dies

Madden would say : it was not a catch! Boom! *draws circles here and there trying to talk physics* then he’d say RIP Franco.

Then boom! Brett favre

Special goat mention to the Steeler player that gave them a 15 yard penalty after the interception that could have given the Raiders some life if they would have had to punt. Anyone know who it was?

Yet one more of those games where the Steelers come out on top against a bad team with the help of winning the turnover battle.
Game ball goes to the defense. 201 total yards allowed, and only 58 on the ground, plus 3 INTs. Heyward was outstanding. I notice people aren't complaining about them as much anymore -- that's five straight games they've allowed 17 points or less.

Clutch drive from Kenny, but he was erratic for much of the night.

Another questionable in-game decision from Tomlin, attempting a 52-yard field goal instead of going for it on 4th-and-4. Boswell had already missed from 43 on a frigid night. Foolish to risk another 8 yards in field position there, and still be trailing by more than 3 even if the kicker makes it.