• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on Charger Game

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
the defense is pretty good

except for the stupid pass that was picked....Fields played well

Nice to see some other WR make plays. Miller and CAIII - especially CAIII

Herbig is going to be really good - hell of game in replae of highsmith

the OL is not getting any push on running plays - Harris is constantly hit in the backfield or right on the LOS (until that last drive)

Damn the defense is good

CAIII and Herbig came up HUGE

nice to see a last minute clock killing drive running the ball down their throat

nice to see the offense actually improve in the second half

the defense is ******* tough as hell

******* love victory formation

The OL is a work in progress and improved as the game went on against a physical team. That's all I ask.

I have a new theory.

In the beginning of the Tomlin era , it was Cowher's team. I honestly believe that. However, as Cowher's players were phased out, it turned into Colbert's team. Soft as hell. Now that the Khan man has taken over, the team has become more physical. Old fashioned Steelers football. Now we may see the real Tomlin 🤞

It's tough to cook if you don't have the ingredients.

I'm not disappointed on that pick play. Once it bounces off the guys hands and goes that high in the air, someone is going to get to it. Fields looked very good and should probably keep the starting position moving forward.

The OL got better when McCormick came in for the injured Spencer. McCormick was a beast. Another steal in the draft.

I was calling for passes over the middle to CAIII and they finally did it and he took it to the house.

Nice to see Tomlin/Smith open up the offense. Even when in the 4th we all thought they would turtle....we get the Fields to Austin TD.

First Broderick was quiet= win

Fields made some throws that I wasn’t expecting. Nice.

I thought it was two good teams grinding it out.

How about Smiths play calling? They could have finished with 27.

The Steelers run D gets an A from me.

The running game started to come on. We have a rookie C that is special.

Herbig has a little more speed than Highsmith( probably a unpopular opinion)

Thought Austin has done a decent job so far this year he deserves kudos as well.

3 and 0 ! 1 2 3 win!

Last edited:
What can you say? They got better and better as the game progressed. That tells me they are adjusting, which in seasons past was nearly nonexistent. Pleasantly surprised by Fields play. His arrow is trending up, and I think you stay with him whether Russ is healthy or not. They are building toward something bigger. No sense fixing what isn’t broken.

If Fields keeps playing like that, you obviously keep him as the starter. If he can be more consistent in the intermediate game to go with his deep ball ability, they might have something, but he needs to show it more from week to week.

It was not a great game by the OL, but the Chargers have a tough defensive front and the Steelers seemed to wear them down as the game progressed.

Herbig is probably a better pass rusher than Highsmith, which is no slight toward Highsmith. He's good, but Herbig is just a lot more explosive.

Have to give the coaching staff a lot of credit, considering they outgained the Chargers by about 250 yards in the second half.

It was a physical beating, with the Chargers' QB1 and top two OTs knocked out of the game.

The OL is a work in progress and improved as the game went on against a physical team. That's all I ask.

I have a new theory.

In the beginning of the Tomlin era , it was Cowher's team. I honestly believe that. However, as Cowher's players were phased out, it turned into Colbert's team. Soft as hell. Now that the Khan man has taken over, the team has become more physical. Old fashioned Steelers football. Now we may see the real Tomlin 🤞

It's tough to cook if you don't have the ingredients.
Berm's theory...

Always wear your Steeler gold sneakers for game days!!! I started w/ my white Nike's and changed up after the first 3 and out for us...

So I am thrilled we are 3-0... if we can beat the colts next week we will have one third of the road games done without a loss... thatt would make the super tough second half more manageable

Also, Clevelands HC is a moron... a little over 4 minutes left and a 4th and 1 on their own 39 and he goes for it... the Giants missed the FG after, but those kinds of choices are why they wont ever win anything

I’m gonna take complete credit for the CA3 tuddy
Right before that play I asked my waitress “if I tip ya $7 on this beer we get seven right?”

Then blammo, tuddy over the middle!!!

Fields looked good, good reads, accurate and zippin’ the ball. The work in progress keeps improving…that’s all you can ask. He may just become an actual QB1!

Queen was a presence today

Woulda liked to see em punch that last one in just for fun. But can’t complain about taking the victory plays.

Solid win.

Where the trolls at hahaha

Good job today by the Steelers. I think Smith did a good job with what he had on offense vs the 2nd overall defense in the NFL and the first real test of the offense. They passed.
I was waiting to see Fields go after the win, he did and he got it.
Fields is being a damn good game manager and is learning when to take his shots. He’s also learning to become efficient.
Cam. He is earning and that Steelers D is eating. Stop Watt, send Highsmith or Herbig.
Looking forward to next weekend.
Let’s go Giants, let’s go dare I say it? Let’s go Cowboys

Great way to finish! Those 6 or so negative yard plays by the offense have to get cleaned up, other than that what a way to close it out.

I picked Herbig for 1.5 sacks and he got 2. That guy is special.

Fields has been hitting throws top notch quarterbacks make. In all three games!It's unfortunate for penalties in the first two.

He's showing some things I didn't think he had. Keep rocking!

Fields played a good game. nice to see some other wrs stepping up. our defense is ridiculous. kept pounding the rock and it paid off. this is the Fields i hoped to see when we needed to keep playing after halftime for once this year, and not just playing turtle ball the whole second half.

The OL definitely had it's problems but they were playing a very good D. There were too many plays where Najee got the ball and multiple D players were right there for the handoff. One in the 3rd quarter, Fields pitched the ball to Naj and there were literally 3 defenders there when the ball arrived and another 1 step behind them. I don't. know if that is poor OL or they knew the play or both.

Nice to see Tomlin/Smith open up the offense. Even when in the 4th we all thought they would turtle....we get the Fields to Austin TD.
That was for me the biggest surprise of the game. They are up by three, you think they turtle with the run to eat off time. Last thing at that moment I am expecting pass backed up deep on the field.

I just felt really good about the Smith hiring. So many people point to his HC resume but not his solid Tennessee showing.

That guy is capable…

I’m gonna take complete credit for the CA3 tuddy
Right before that play I asked my waitress “if I tip ya $7 on this beer we get seven right?”

Then blammo, tuddy over the middle!!!

Fields looked good, good reads, accurate and zippin’ the ball. The work in progress keeps improving…that’s all you can ask. He may just become an actual QB1!

Queen was a presence today

Woulda liked to see em punch that last one in just for fun. But can’t complain about taking the victory plays.

Solid win.

Where the trolls at hahaha
Romo all game was praising Fields reads......still had a few watching from the TV view that said he was struggling. I give props for Tomlin to get Fields to play with in the game plan. This game they opened it up a bunch on offense today. Nice to see. Nice to see Fields do well.

Fields grew up a little bit today! Nice game for him!

This Defense is better than most people think!
In the second half the Chargers had what negative yards? A dominant performance. We might not always see that but so far the D is starting well.

Justin imo is actually learning how to play QB with some good coaching. Patience and taking what the defense gives him. He’s learning to scan the field and he’s not forcing things, thus very little mistakes.
He’s always had the talent now he’s learning to play QB.
Also, Nick Herbig is the real deal. Been saying it since last year, I like him better than Highsmith. He’s much more explosive and gets to the QB with lightning speed.
One last thing. If Miami is interested I’d dangle Ole’ Russ out there. See what you can get for him.