• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on lions game

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
1st drive TD? is that allowed? nice enough drive by the 1st team (mostly) running game until the30 yard TD dash was not impressive, but nice pass by Wilson to Pickens prior to that

3 straight sacks by the defense including the strip sack....very nice start for the defense

nice throw by Fields to set up the short TD run. some decent running by some guys who might not be around next week.

was watching on my phone so hard to judge the OL play. will have to rewatch the first quarter.

Herbig is a Player. Benton brought good pressue and the other LBs played well. some good plays by WRs not named Pickens but we likely still need another guy

the group that was in from midway through the 2nd quarter on...how could you describe them...pretty sure someone in the game thread hit it on the head with porous

nice to see all three QBs go more than 10 yards downfield with passes. Allen threw a few nice ones (Jenkins reallt soud have gotten both feet down on his) Plumlee even had one but it was called back on a penalty.

sucked to see that late injury, so glad he got up and walked off the field

was forced to listen to the lions announcers and they kept saying how impressive it was for hooker and how he ""came alive" late in the 2nd quarter. the fact that scrubs were in by that point made no difference

I'm disappointed that Wilson was pulled so early. The #1s looked good. Looking forward to what Heribg is for us. Dude is a stud.

Im 95% sure that Arthur Smiths biggest goal this preseason was to give nothing on film for the rat ******** that fired him in Atlanta to game-plan with... so i am not surprised we saw little out of the O...

It was nice to see some scoring and takeaways for the good guys.

Herbig is indeed a stud.
Frazier looks the part. definitely an upgrade over what was there last year
Patterson still has something left.
Scotty Miller is deceivably fast.
did Muth play?
1st team def looked great considering TJ and Cam still not playing

Herbig really pops looking at the highlights.

So Pickens is absolutely WR1
Van Jefferson is WR2
Calvin Austin 3 is WR3
Then until Roman Wilson is ready, I think Miller is WR 4..

Now the question is do they keep 5 or 6
Roman Wilson is WR5 for now...

That leaves Watkins, Fitzpatrick and Jenkins fighting for one spot that may or may not be there......

My guess Dez makes it because of ST play and Jenkins goes to the PS

They need to get another receiver. Van Jefferson should be the 2-but I’m going to pay attention to that injury to his back. Hopefully it’s nothing major

1st drive TD? is that allowed? nice enough drive by the 1st team (mostly) running game until the30 yard TD dash was not impressive, but nice pass by Wilson to Pickens prior to that

3 straight sacks by the defense including the strip sack....very nice start for the defense

nice throw by Fields to set up the short TD run. some decent running by some guys who might not be around next week.

was watching on my phone so hard to judge the OL play. will have to rewatch the first quarter.

Herbig is a Player. Benton brought good pressue and the other LBs played well. some good plays by WRs not named Pickens but we likely still need another guy

the group that was in from midway through the 2nd quarter on...how could you describe them...pretty sure someone in the game thread hit it on the head with porous

nice to see all three QBs go more than 10 yards downfield with passes. Allen threw a few nice ones (Jenkins reallt soud have gotten both feet down on his) Plumlee even had one but it was called back on a penalty.

sucked to see that late injury, so glad he got up and walked off the field

was forced to listen to the lions announcers and they kept saying how impressive it was for hooker and how he ""came alive" late in the 2nd quarter. the fact that scrubs were in by that point made no difference
Thanks 🙏🏾 for the recap @CoolieMan I wasn’t able to watch live. I’m listening to postgame and I heard MT didn’t challenge when he needed to? 😡

The best players this preseason have been Herbig, Benton, and Ogunjobi.

First-team offense did what they needed to do against the backups and looked good.

Jones had a nice game after last week's dud of a performance.

I love the interior OL between the starting 3 and what they have with Anderson and McCormick as backups.

I still think if this defense performs to expectations and Wilson has a year similar to last year, the Steelers will be a better and more entertaining team to watch this season. I know the end-of-season schedule is tough, but in a way that gives the OL half the year to get it together since that's how long it takes Meyer to get his unit on the same page.

Herbig is indeed a stud.
Frazier looks the part. definitely an upgrade over what was there last year
Patterson still has something left.
Scotty Miller is deceivably fast.
did Muth play?
1st team def looked great considering TJ and Cam still not playing
I watched until it was 14-0, I had work I wanted to do. But on one of the run TDs, pretty sure the second, Muth had a nice block. Pretty sure I saw an 88. After that I have no idea what happened.

I watched until it was 14-0, I had work I wanted to do. But on one of the run TDs, pretty sure the second, Muth had a nice block. Pretty sure I saw an 88. After that I have no idea what happened.
yes 88 drove his guy to the the center of the OL

So Pickens is absolutely WR1
Van Jefferson is WR2
Calvin Austin 3 is WR3
Then until Roman Wilson is ready, I think Miller is WR 4..

Now the question is do they keep 5 or 6
Roman Wilson is WR5 for now...

That leaves Watkins, Fitzpatrick and Jenkins fighting for one spot that may or may not be there......

My guess Dez makes it because of ST play and Jenkins goes to the PS
I think they keep 6 but with 1 or 2 not in the roster. A number 2 WR and or a WR that can take on the gunner role.

The best players this preseason have been Herbig, Benton, and Ogunjobi.

First-team offense did what they needed to do against the backups and looked good.

Jones had a nice game after last week's dud of a performance.

I love the interior OL between the starting 3 and what they have with Anderson and McCormick as backups.

I still think if this defense performs to expectations and Wilson has a year similar to last year, the Steelers will be a better and more entertaining team to watch this season. I know the end-of-season schedule is tough, but in a way that gives the OL half the year to get it together since that's how long it takes Meyer to get his unit on the same page.
I think they will bring in an inside corner. And a gunner and or a number 2 or 3 WR. Possibly a backup C. I think the team will still make some moves….

I'm disappointed that Wilson was pulled so early. The #1s looked good. Looking forward to what Heribg is for us. Dude is a stud.
I’d estimate that NFL starters are now getting <50% of the preseason snaps that they did not so long ago. It’s hard to get a feel for what the team will actually look like in the regular season.

Iff they could allow 54 guys on the roster, It would be interesting to see them keep Plumlee and just use him as KR with Patterson as well as just using him all over the place in offense. He had descent command of the offense in the 4th quarter. It’s fun to watch a pure football player that can just play anything

I think they need to find a way to keep Plumlee. That kid has playmaker written all over him
Im guessing he will make the PS... the steelers will get a PS exemption for that German OLB, assuming he doesnt make the 53... that gives them an extra spot to use on a QB

Im guessing he will make the PS... the steelers will get a PS exemption for that German OLB, assuming he doesnt make the 53... that gives them an extra spot to use on a QB
I don’t doubt they try to stash him on the PS. My concern is does he stick.

Reactions: xjx