• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Joe Montana Football is Back

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Just saw a link on IGN that says the Joe Montana football game will be making a return. Only info out right now is just the cover picture. I remember playing the game back in the day. I could recover onsides kicks almost everytime....Throw a bomb to rice TD rinse and repeat, but it was fun...I think sports talk was the first game to use play by play commentary. Only thing I am hoping for is that the new one is available on PC and you can mod it so people can make real players / teams.

Yippee!!!! Skippee!!!

The best football game ever invited was call "Paydirt" back in the 70's...

Pre-computer....but used cards for offense & defense that determined each play's result. The info on the cards simulated actual results from NFL teams based on previous years performance. Because of this you and the person you played against had to strategizes based on game's situation.

It was actually a "precursor" to all the more techy stuff that would come out in later years, when the PC boom hit!

But it was very fun....wish I still had the game today.

Have any of other "old-timers" heard of it?

I had a card based game but can not remember the name or much about it at all...I was born in 77

I had a card based game but can not remember the name or much about it at all...I was born in 77

Young buck.

Here is the REAL football game for kids:

electronic football.JPG

We had a game called "Monday Night Football" . Similar to previous poster, used cards etc. game situation. My best friend & I would always fight over who was going to be the STEELERS, when we played. Eventually, the non-steeler would get to pick his players off all the other teams (all star) to play. Usually who ever had the STEELERS (between us) always won. We just knew that team so well. Good O'l days.

Salute the nation

I remember a game that was a board game plus a VCR tape. You would draw cards that determined the result of each play. Some cards would ask you to play the tape and it would show a highlight (fumble, TD etc.). I just found the box...it was called The VCR Quarterback Game.

My favorite game was this one where there was a mini-record player, and these small vinyl disks that you inserted into it. One side of the disk was offense and one defense. I think each disk represented a different offensive play. After partially inserting the disk vertically like in a toaster, the other player would rotate the disk to choose the defense. Then you had to listen to the record to see what happened on the play. Wish I could remember the name but it was awesome.

I remember a game that was a board game plus a VCR tape. You would draw cards that determined the result of each play. Some cards would ask you to play the tape and it would show a highlight (fumble, TD etc.). I just found the box...it was called The VCR Quarterback Game.

I had the basketball version of this game, circa 1987.

the big vibrating football board was the best, but this was a close second
Mattel-Football.jpg

I had all of these and loved them:

footbal-games.jpg