• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Just back from Steelers-Falcons game

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Attended the preseason game because my Steelers won't be back in my area for quite some time. Very enjoyable game, but wow - the traffic shutdowns and backups were a pain even with the stadium almost half empty. Probably 60% of those in attendance were, like yours truly, wearing Black & Gold. Some game observations:
  • Nick Herbig is football fast. On one kickoff, he was the FIRST guy down the field but whiffed on the tackle. He also beat the LT around the edge 2-3x, setting up his awesome inside move. The LT was getting wider and wider to handle the speed rush and Herbig said, "Thanks, bye" by taking one step outside, planting his left foot and going inside. He was on the QB in about 1.5 seconds.
  • Kenny dropped two absolute dimes on the first possession. The one to Johnson was a thing of beauty. Johnson beat the CB while the ball was in the air, turned around and kept running full speed and the ball was directly on his hands.
  • The pass to Pickens was arguably better since it was thrown all the way across the field. Robinson was in the same area as Pickens for some reason, bringing the extra defender a few yards away, but Pickett simply dropped the ball right onto Pickens' hands.
  • And you remember how color commentators would praise Russell Wilson's deep ball because he put air under it to give the receiver room to catch the pass? Kenny's two deep balls were very high, dropped right down the chimney.
  • Running game looked good with the 1st team. Najee rambled for 10 yards off LG, Warren with the TD run soon after.
  • The Falcons are supposed to have a good running game and got NOTHING on the ground. I recall maybe one run of more than 5 yards. Really impressed with Steelers run defense.
  • TJ showed who is boss by absolutely blowing past the RT on the sack in the Falcons first possession.
  • Highsmith was unblocked on the Falcons first play, a run to the right, and he FLEW to the ball carrier to log the TFL.
  • The first two possessions with the 1st team defense, I was watching the receivers as they left the LOS and seeing how good the coverage was. The coverage was very good. Minkah was darting towards the slot receiver, trying to bait the Falcons QB into throwing in that area.
  • JPJ is so much bigger than most WR's. The Falcons split a TE out wide to try and get a physical advantage but JPJ shoved the TE towards the sideline and took him out of the play. The Falcons QB then found a guy over the middle for about 12 yards and the in-stadium halftime "highlights" for the Falcons featured that play like it was Montana to Clark.
  • The special teams for the Steelers are good - REALLY good. On one punt return after the penalty on the Falcons for the guy running out of bounds, the Steelers knew that the Falcons were going to try and pin Austin to the left side of the field. They doubled the gunner on that side and the two blockers worked in tandem to negate the gunner. The first guy pushed him out of bounds, and then immediately stopped contact since blocking the guy OOB is a no-no. The first guy goes back on the field, and the gunner moves back into play as well, at which point the 2nd guy shoves him OOB again and he is out of the play. Austin catches the punt and has room to return, gains about 15 yards up the left sideline.
  • Harvin's punt was perfect, with the backspin, caught in the air and downed at the 3-yard line.
  • Bosworth was hitting from 57 warming up for the 2nd half and had a little to spare. Again, the special teams are VERY good.
  • Really impressive outing by the first team, somewhat impressive by second time ... but Trubisky needs to avoid taking sacks in FG range.
Enjoyable night. First night game for me since the 2015 MNF game against the Chargers.

Great observations, perhaps we need to get you to each regular season game.

We have to take this game with a grain of salt as the Falcons were shelving their starters. Still the throws were as you described and the standouts were pretty much the same against stiffer preseason matchups.

Kenny is showing more confidence, the O-line is showing better. What an improvement at LG can do for you. Herbig has silenced the ILber crowd, showing future starter potential.

Benton looks like he will eventually be a beast.

A lot to be excited for.

One word of caution…. Never ever ever ever put any stock in preseason special teams… its an utter smokeshow. They are utilizing so many guys who won’t make the roster in key roles which can bias it really good because of special teams aces that won’t ultimately make the team…and sometimes keeping some aces who will make the team off of special teams to give others a look there.

Like for instance there was a game Killabrew got a zillion defensive snaps but nothing on special teams because they knew what he could do on special teams but wanted to gauge him at safety more… conversely only one of Kwiatkowski and Muse will make the roster despite both being really good at special teams… or like if they do bring in a guy like WJ3 to replace pierre… WJ3 isn’t playing special teams and they lose a valuable coverage guy there…

Never ever ever ever put any stock in preseason special teams…
Fact, but I think we can say Calvin Austin has some wheels, and Harvin has found a groove.

For me, there’s so much to take away from this preseason, but I guess I would list my top 3 as:
1. I’m trying to convince myself there’s no way Kenny is THAT accurate. His ball placement so far this preseason, and going into last year has been nearly perfect. His passes to Dionte and Pickens last night…neither one had to extend their arms. He threw open Mutth last week, Pickens TD week one….going back to last year the TD to Najee against the Ravens and many others….all PERFECTLY placed. I keep thinking…he’s getting lucky, if you throw the ball in the receivers direction, some are bound to be perfectly placed, and at some point his throws will revert to the norm. We’re talking Joe Montana / Tom Brady accuracy...putting it on a dime. If this truly is what KP is capable of consistently, there is no window he can’t fit that ball into, and YAC should improve…
2. The LBs both inside and out have improved. I thought the Steelers would at least keep Spillane for continuity, but this ILB group…I think…has made the biggest leap from last year. And I’m a little less worried about losing TJ to an injury now that Herbig has displayed his potential.
3. The Heywards know a thing or two about how to play football.

Last edited:
Fact, but I think one thing we can take away is Calvin Austin has some wheels.

For me, there’s so much to take away from this preseason, but I guess I would list my top 3 as:
1. I’m trying to convince myself there’s no way Kenny is THAT accurate. His ball placement so far this preseason, and going into last year has been nearly perfect. His passes to Dionte and Pickens last night…neither one had to extend their arms. He threw open Mutth last week, Pickens TD week one….going back to last year the TD to Najee against the Ravens and many others….all PERFECTLY placed. I keep thinking…he’s getting lucky, if you throw the ball in the receivers direction, some are bound to be perfectly placed, and at some point his throws will revert to the norm. We’re talking Joe Montana / Tom Brady accuracy...putting it on a dime. If this truly is what KP is capable of consistently, there is no window he can’t fit that ball into, and YAC should improve…
2. The LBs both inside and out have improved. I thought the Steelers would at least keep Spillane for continuity, but this ILB group…I think…has made the biggest leap from last year. And I’m a little less worried about losing TJ to an injury now that Herbig has displayed his potential.
I couldn't agree with you more on all of your points. I was verbally giving rick flair Whoooos seeing ILB actually accelerate through gaps. They are firing out of a cannon. Love it! One other observation I had is Washington's ability to block. wow. He consistently engaged, hinged, and sealed the edge. Absolute text book blocking from the big man. I hope they throw the ball to him more often.

Great observations, perhaps we need to get you to each regular season game.

You, sir, are correct!! The Steelers are 5-0 in regular season with me in attendance, now 1-0 in preseason. Oh, and this is the first time the Steelers had the same QB for any of those games.

We have to take this game with a grain of salt as the Falcons were shelving their starters. Still the throws were as you described and the standouts were pretty much the same against stiffer preseason matchups.

No doubt. Did not have a scorecard and line-ups not announced before the game, so I had no idea who #11 for the Falcons was.

Really, really, really dumb idea by the Falcons to sit their starters, IMO. Holy hell, it's 17 freaking days before a meaningful game - how the hell is the team going to compete for 60 minutes on September 10?

Kenny is showing more confidence, the O-line is showing better. What an improvement at LG can do for you. Herbig has silenced the ILber crowd, showing future starter potential.

Herbig did a pretty good job against the run. Thinking back, he played a lot of LOLB, didn't he?

Benton looks like he will eventually be a beast.

Benton is a very large individual. So is Loudermilk. I noticed that when Loudermilk was in the game, he blew up running plays.

Attended the preseason game because my Steelers won't be back in my area for quite some time. Very enjoyable game, but wow - the traffic shutdowns and backups were a pain even with the stadium almost half empty. Probably 60% of those in attendance were, like yours truly, wearing Black & Gold. Some game observations:
  • Nick Herbig is football fast. On one kickoff, he was the FIRST guy down the field but whiffed on the tackle. He also beat the LT around the edge 2-3x, setting up his awesome inside move. The LT was getting wider and wider to handle the speed rush and Herbig said, "Thanks, bye" by taking one step outside, planting his left foot and going inside. He was on the QB in about 1.5 seconds.
  • Kenny dropped two absolute dimes on the first possession. The one to Johnson was a thing of beauty. Johnson beat the CB while the ball was in the air, turned around and kept running full speed and the ball was directly on his hands.
  • The pass to Pickens was arguably better since it was thrown all the way across the field. Robinson was in the same area as Pickens for some reason, bringing the extra defender a few yards away, but Pickett simply dropped the ball right onto Pickens' hands.
  • And you remember how color commentators would praise Russell Wilson's deep ball because he put air under it to give the receiver room to catch the pass? Kenny's two deep balls were very high, dropped right down the chimney.
  • Running game looked good with the 1st team. Najee rambled for 10 yards off LG, Warren with the TD run soon after.
  • The Falcons are supposed to have a good running game and got NOTHING on the ground. I recall maybe one run of more than 5 yards. Really impressed with Steelers run defense.
  • TJ showed who is boss by absolutely blowing past the RT on the sack in the Falcons first possession.
  • Highsmith was unblocked on the Falcons first play, a run to the right, and he FLEW to the ball carrier to log the TFL.
  • The first two possessions with the 1st team defense, I was watching the receivers as they left the LOS and seeing how good the coverage was. The coverage was very good. Minkah was darting towards the slot receiver, trying to bait the Falcons QB into throwing in that area.
  • JPJ is so much bigger than most WR's. The Falcons split a TE out wide to try and get a physical advantage but JPJ shoved the TE towards the sideline and took him out of the play. The Falcons QB then found a guy over the middle for about 12 yards and the in-stadium halftime "highlights" for the Falcons featured that play like it was Montana to Clark.
  • The special teams for the Steelers are good - REALLY good. On one punt return after the penalty on the Falcons for the guy running out of bounds, the Steelers knew that the Falcons were going to try and pin Austin to the left side of the field. They doubled the gunner on that side and the two blockers worked in tandem to negate the gunner. The first guy pushed him out of bounds, and then immediately stopped contact since blocking the guy OOB is a no-no. The first guy goes back on the field, and the gunner moves back into play as well, at which point the 2nd guy shoves him OOB again and he is out of the play. Austin catches the punt and has room to return, gains about 15 yards up the left sideline.
  • Harvin's punt was perfect, with the backspin, caught in the air and downed at the 3-yard line.
  • Bosworth was hitting from 57 warming up for the 2nd half and had a little to spare. Again, the special teams are VERY good.
  • Really impressive outing by the first team, somewhat impressive by second time ... but Trubisky needs to avoid taking sacks in FG range.
Enjoyable night. First night game for me since the 2015 MNF game against the Chargers.

DANG strait Steeltime, thanks for posting your experience there. You seen first hand what I had to scrape together through media means.

Thanks again

Salute the nation

You, sir, are correct!! The Steelers are 5-0 in regular season with me in attendance, now 1-0 in preseason. Oh, and this is the first time the Steelers had the same QB for any of those games.

No doubt. Did not have a scorecard and line-ups not announced before the game, so I had no idea who #11 for the Falcons was.

Really, really, really dumb idea by the Falcons to sit their starters, IMO. Holy hell, it's 17 freaking days before a meaningful game - how the hell is the team going to compete for 60 minutes on September 10?

Herbig did a pretty good job against the run. Thinking back, he played a lot of LOLB, didn't he?

Benton is a very large individual. So is Loudermilk. I noticed that when Loudermilk was in the game, he blew up running plays.
Yeah that D-line room. Glad I am not making the GM/HC decisions. To cut or not cut Loudermilk. I wish there was a way to keep each one of those DLs in question as they all bring something to the field.

Loudermilk didn't give Stryker an interview and we aren't going to accept that kind of behavior around here. I am going to have to let him go.

One other observation I had is Washington's ability to block. wow. He consistently engaged, hinged, and sealed the edge. Absolute text book blocking from the big man. I hope they throw the ball to him more often.

Agreed on both points. One play with Trubisky at QB near the end of the 1st quarter, Washington lines up on the left side, takes the DE and just stands him up. The play did not get much but through no fault of Washington.

What I saw last night.

QB-
Kenny Pickett threw two perfect deep balls to the outside. The commentators made mention of this was the Falcons second unit. It wouldn't have mattered if that was against Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson. Can't defend a perfect pass. This is much improved over KP's rookie season. He was still throwing the deep ball like he was in college. If you look at that first deep pass to Claypool last year it was a throw it up and hope my guy can get it. That was a lot of his deep balls in College. Not saying you never do that in the NFL but when you do there's consequences a lot of the time. So far this preseason KP has stepped up his ball placement and you can see he understands the importance of it.

Mitch has showed he is a serviceable backup and spot starter. He still has the legs and athleticism to keep drives moving. He showed much better command and touch on his throws. Mason Rudolph showed good poise and accuracy in the pocket. I feel like we probably have the deepest QB room in the league. I keep all three and when you look at the Cards trading for the likes of Dobbs I feel like there's plenty of teams that might only be one or at best two deep at QB. I feel like we can use the fact we don't need to trade anyone as ammo that if or when a QB room in the NFL is riddled with injuries that we can put the screws to that team and get more than fair compensation if we choose to trade Mitch or Rudolph. I keep looking at the Packers QB room and Love is going to get every opportunity but behind him is Sean Clifford who has showed a little something this preseason. But if Love gets hurt that is a very very thin QB room. I look at the Rams and an aging and bad shouldered Stafford. Bennett has looked good in the preseason but if Stafford goes down they will need a veteran in that locker room. And there's a half a dozen other teams that fit that bill as well. We could definitely be holding a couple of aces in terms of trade bait.

Morgan Tanner is no where near NFL ready. Might stick on the PS or the team might release him and if they make a trade bring him on the PS.

RB-
I liked what we did with our three headed monster this game. Gave both Najee and Jaylen lots of snaps and still sprinkled in a little McFarland. All these RB's might want 20+ million a year but in reality having 2-3 guys who can all bring something to the table is way better for your team. The NFL is too pass happy to make a RB a priority in free agency. I think the Miles Sanders deal is about the max I personally would offer a RB anymore. Because for 10 million I can get three good backs with all different strengths and skill sets.

WR/TE-
How are teams going to stop DJ and GP? Then you throw in some A-Rob and CA3 eating up the middle. Oh, but wait you have Freiermuth and Washington at tight end. Oh, but we have Heyward playing H-Back. We have so many skill players my biggest concern is there going to be enough balls to go around? It is important to keep everyone involved and that might end up being a challenge for the team. DJ and GP definitely will get bent out of shape without enough touches but you can't forget about Pat, A-Rob, and CA3. Because those weapons will keep DJ and GP open. Good problem to have I just hope we can manage and keep this offense looking golden.

OL-
Moore has looked rocked solid at LT. This again is good problem to have. We can develop Broderick Jones on our own time and not rush him. Depending how things play out we could have Moore and Jones as our bookends next year saving some cash and having two guys locked up for the next five years for our QB. Our interior line imo is better pass protection than run blocking. But the skill set is there. I think they just haven't gelled quite yet but did flash more the last two games. I feel like when the regular season starts they will get rocking and rolling quickly. Depth I feel is very good at the interior line as well and not shabby having a guy likes Jones as your top backup and having Dylan Cook or a veteran like Clark to choose from for your 4th OT spot.

DL-
Once again we have depth. Heyward, Ogunjobi, Benton, and Leal are locks. But do we keep 2 or 3 more? I feel Loudermilk, Watts and Fehoko all have earned a spot. Not sure the coaches feel like that though. If they do cut one it might be Fehoko as I feel he would probably land on the practice squad and could always be called up in case of injury.

OLB-
Big D___ Nick really has impressed. Having a guy like that who can spell TJ and Highsmith without a huge drop in production is going to be HUGE. Keeping all three fresh will give us a defense like when the Giants had JPP, Osi Umenyiora, and Justin Tuck. All three were just studs and they never let up on your offensive line. Then on top of that we have Markus Golden who is no slouch either. We are so deep a guy like Quincy Roche probably gets sent packing or at least only offered a PS spot. I love it.

ILB-
Again this reminds me of our running back situation. We have a lots of guys who all do things well. It will be our defensive coordinator job to put these guys on the field in the right situations and let them do their thing. Roberts, Holcomb, Alexander, Robinson and even Muse have all flashed. It will be tough to cut Muse so we will see what happens here.

CB-
This might be a little concerning if we had a weakness on defense I would say CB is it. I feel we have good depth with Patrick Peterson, Levi Wallace and Joey Porter Jr. I think in nickel Pate Pete should move inside or move to safety keeping defenses off balance. I think the rookie learns by fire come September and even though he has impressed in camp we will have growing pains. Levi Wallace is very solid. No complaints from his signing. He is a good starter. Not great but a guy you plug in and know what you are going to get. And right now that is important. Sullivan and Riley are both intriguing guys at nickel. Both more physical than fast. I think they have good short area speed but neither have great long speed. I feel like we will be blitzing more like we did with Hilton this year.

S-
Another deep room. One stud in Fitzmagic but we have a lot of guys who do somethings very well. Kazee is more physical than you would think for a guy his size. I think Neal will be more of your in the box safety. And I think if Robinson makes the 53 man his center field coverage mimics Fitz and that would be his role. Insurance if Fitz gets banged up and we need a ballhawk covering center field.

ST-
Bos is lock solid.
PH3 had some good punts the last couple games. I would not hesitate to sign another punter if he starts shanking stuff again.

"Rudolph showed good poise and accuracy in the pocket. "

😅

Mason should hire his biggest fan as his agent.

Rudolph had one of his worst camps that I can remember. Throwing INTs left and right, but he was poised and accurate while doing it!

Fact, but I think we can say Calvin Austin has some wheels, and Harvin has found a groove.

Great poast Pittbull, thanks for the many of them.

They showed Hayward could fill the FB role, making GREEN’s departure more eminent.

You nailed the LB corps improvement, the OLBs improvement hasn’t shocked me at all. I’ve been keeping an eye on Highsmith and see he is progressing what I thought was going to (although he is exceeding my expectations).

I realize this is PRE-season and take it for what it is, but it sure is nice seeing the arrow trending upwards.

Salute then nation

Great poast Pittbull, thanks for the many of them.

They showed Hayward could fill the FB role, making GREEN’s departure more eminent.

You nailed the LB corps improvement, the OLBs improvement hasn’t shocked me at all. I’ve been keeping an eye on Highsmith and see he is progressing what I thought was going to (although he is exceeding my expectations).

I realize this is PRE-season and take it for what it is, but it sure is nice seeing the arrow trending upwards.

Salute then nation
Thanks. As long as they keep winning the posts write themselves. It's not winning that drives me to blame everyone, including the kitchen staff at St Vincents, and drive my car off a cliff defending my idiotic opinions. :p

Preseason, yes...but I think we all agree they're executing, and that's what Steelers fans see that outsiders maybe do not. Every big play so far this year has been executed to perfection with the intended result. None that I can think of was a breakdown in coverage, or the running back breaking 3 tackles and changing directions...no, the passes come out when they are suppose to come out and placed where they need to be placed, the recivers are running great routes, and the running backs are running through the holes that are designed to be there. It's almost like they planned it that way.

My biggest concern moving forward is still Canaduh. So far, our 1st team O has looked very good with no game planning on either side. Canaduh said he doesn't game plan. I honestly don't know how that can be possible in the NFL but it was said last year. If they don't game plan and go up against D's that are game planning, this could be another long season on O. The last two years, teams knew what plays we were running. That just won't work in the NFL. I sure hope Canaduh is ready to step up in 2 weeks and for the remainder of the season.

What I saw last night.

QB-
Kenny Pickett threw two perfect deep balls to the outside. The commentators made mention of this was the Falcons second unit. It wouldn't have mattered if that was against Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson. Can't defend a perfect pass. This is much improved over KP's rookie season. He was still throwing the deep ball like he was in college. If you look at that first deep pass to Claypool last year it was a throw it up and hope my guy can get it. That was a lot of his deep balls in College. Not saying you never do that in the NFL but when you do there's consequences a lot of the time. So far this preseason KP has stepped up his ball placement and you can see he understands the importance of it.

Mitch has showed he is a serviceable backup and spot starter. He still has the legs and athleticism to keep drives moving. He showed much better command and touch on his throws. Mason Rudolph showed good poise and accuracy in the pocket. I feel like we probably have the deepest QB room in the league. I keep all three and when you look at the Cards trading for the likes of Dobbs I feel like there's plenty of teams that might only be one or at best two deep at QB. I feel like we can use the fact we don't need to trade anyone as ammo that if or when a QB room in the NFL is riddled with injuries that we can put the screws to that team and get more than fair compensation if we choose to trade Mitch or Rudolph. I keep looking at the Packers QB room and Love is going to get every opportunity but behind him is Sean Clifford who has showed a little something this preseason. But if Love gets hurt that is a very very thin QB room. I look at the Rams and an aging and bad shouldered Stafford. Bennett has looked good in the preseason but if Stafford goes down they will need a veteran in that locker room. And there's a half a dozen other teams that fit that bill as well. We could definitely be holding a couple of aces in terms of trade bait.

Morgan Tanner is no where near NFL ready. Might stick on the PS or the team might release him and if they make a trade bring him on the PS.

RB-
I liked what we did with our three headed monster this game. Gave both Najee and Jaylen lots of snaps and still sprinkled in a little McFarland. All these RB's might want 20+ million a year but in reality having 2-3 guys who can all bring something to the table is way better for your team. The NFL is too pass happy to make a RB a priority in free agency. I think the Miles Sanders deal is about the max I personally would offer a RB anymore. Because for 10 million I can get three good backs with all different strengths and skill sets.

WR/TE-
How are teams going to stop DJ and GP? Then you throw in some A-Rob and CA3 eating up the middle. Oh, but wait you have Freiermuth and Washington at tight end. Oh, but we have Heyward playing H-Back. We have so many skill players my biggest concern is there going to be enough balls to go around? It is important to keep everyone involved and that might end up being a challenge for the team. DJ and GP definitely will get bent out of shape without enough touches but you can't forget about Pat, A-Rob, and CA3. Because those weapons will keep DJ and GP open. Good problem to have I just hope we can manage and keep this offense looking golden.

OL-
Moore has looked rocked solid at LT. This again is good problem to have. We can develop Broderick Jones on our own time and not rush him. Depending how things play out we could have Moore and Jones as our bookends next year saving some cash and having two guys locked up for the next five years for our QB. Our interior line imo is better pass protection than run blocking. But the skill set is there. I think they just haven't gelled quite yet but did flash more the last two games. I feel like when the regular season starts they will get rocking and rolling quickly. Depth I feel is very good at the interior line as well and not shabby having a guy likes Jones as your top backup and having Dylan Cook or a veteran like Clark to choose from for your 4th OT spot.

DL-
Once again we have depth. Heyward, Ogunjobi, Benton, and Leal are locks. But do we keep 2 or 3 more? I feel Loudermilk, Watts and Fehoko all have earned a spot. Not sure the coaches feel like that though. If they do cut one it might be Fehoko as I feel he would probably land on the practice squad and could always be called up in case of injury.

OLB-
Big D___ Nick really has impressed. Having a guy like that who can spell TJ and Highsmith without a huge drop in production is going to be HUGE. Keeping all three fresh will give us a defense like when the Giants had JPP, Osi Umenyiora, and Justin Tuck. All three were just studs and they never let up on your offensive line. Then on top of that we have Markus Golden who is no slouch either. We are so deep a guy like Quincy Roche probably gets sent packing or at least only offered a PS spot. I love it.

ILB-
Again this reminds me of our running back situation. We have a lots of guys who all do things well. It will be our defensive coordinator job to put these guys on the field in the right situations and let them do their thing. Roberts, Holcomb, Alexander, Robinson and even Muse have all flashed. It will be tough to cut Muse so we will see what happens here.

CB-
This might be a little concerning if we had a weakness on defense I would say CB is it. I feel we have good depth with Patrick Peterson, Levi Wallace and Joey Porter Jr. I think in nickel Pate Pete should move inside or move to safety keeping defenses off balance. I think the rookie learns by fire come September and even though he has impressed in camp we will have growing pains. Levi Wallace is very solid. No complaints from his signing. He is a good starter. Not great but a guy you plug in and know what you are going to get. And right now that is important. Sullivan and Riley are both intriguing guys at nickel. Both more physical than fast. I think they have good short area speed but neither have great long speed. I feel like we will be blitzing more like we did with Hilton this year.

S-
Another deep room. One stud in Fitzmagic but we have a lot of guys who do somethings very well. Kazee is more physical than you would think for a guy his size. I think Neal will be more of your in the box safety. And I think if Robinson makes the 53 man his center field coverage mimics Fitz and that would be his role. Insurance if Fitz gets banged up and we need a ballhawk covering center field.

ST-
Bos is lock solid.
PH3 had some good punts the last couple games. I would not hesitate to sign another punter if he starts shanking stuff again.
I was thinking about our roster last night and how good our draft was. We may have none of our draft picks as starters which is a great thing. A lot of them will get plenty of playing time and are ready to take over. Omar Kahn has really done a great job putting this roster together in less than one year.

Preseason is preseason so I am not going to freak out based on what the Steelers did against 2nd teamers. Got it. However, they also run up a 14-0 lead against the Bills' 1st team, no? Also, if Kenny Pickett's preseason passer rating is 76.5 and he has thrown 3 picks and 1 TD, would commentators say, "Who cares, it's preseason"? Yeah, we know the answer to that, don't we?

So when Kenny has a perfect passer rating preseason - 13-15, 199 yards, 2 TD, 0 picks, 13.3 YPA - I take that to mean he is feeling very comfortable and the weapons around him present problems to the defense. That's a good thing.

The offensive limitations of 2022 have been addressed. Calvin Austin III returning punts is a new weapon; Kenny's deep game is a new weapon; Washington blowing up DE's is a new weapon; Seumalo opening up holes on the left side like he did on Najee's 14-yard scamper is a new weapon. This could be a very, VERY good team.

Preseason is preseason so I am not going to freak out based on what the Steelers did against 2nd teamers. Got it. However, they also run up a 14-0 lead against the Bills' 1st team, no? Also, if Kenny Pickett's preseason passer rating is 76.5 and he has thrown 3 picks and 1 TD, would commentators say, "Who cares, it's preseason"? Yeah, we know the answer to that, don't we?

So when Kenny has a perfect passer rating preseason - 13-15, 199 yards, 2 TD, 0 picks, 13.3 YPA - I take that to mean he is feeling very comfortable and the weapons around him present problems to the defense. That's a good thing.

The offensive limitations of 2022 have been addressed. Calvin Austin III returning punts is a new weapon; Kenny's deep game is a new weapon; Washington blowing up DE's is a new weapon; Seumalo opening up holes on the left side like he did on Najee's 14-yard scamper is a new weapon. This could be a very, VERY good team.
Seumalo is my favorite off-season pickup. I wanted the trenches upgraded and was really surprised with the signing. Then they attacked both sides of the trenches in the draft. The future is looking bright.

People failed to realize that the past two seasons the offense was incredibly young and inexperienced. Guys rarely have their best seasons as rookies or second year guys. They start peaking in a lot of positions around year 3 or 4… some even year 5… we had no cohesion in the oline. A super young receiver and rb group and last year a rookie qb… all in a system and blocking scheme that was rather new.
They added a little experience and the offensive starters were mostly together all offseason… it makes sense that they just are more effective so far

People failed to realize that the past two seasons the offense was incredibly young and inexperienced. Guys rarely have their best seasons as rookies or second year guys. They start peaking in a lot of positions around year 3 or 4… some even year 5… we had no cohesion in the oline. A super young receiver and rb group and last year a rookie qb… all in a system and blocking scheme that was rather new.
They added a little experience and the offensive starters were mostly together all offseason… it makes sense that they just are more effective so far
They did a great job adding competition across the board outside of QB who we knew who was getting the nod. Can't say enough good things about their approach...

One thing I didn't mention - the next play after Herbig beat the RT inside, Falcons pass. Herbig is by the RT on a speed rush in the blink of an eye as the RT says, "Wow, can't get beat inside again," leaving the outside rush open for Herbig.

Dude can rush the passer.

I was thinking about our roster last night and how good our draft was. We may have none of our draft picks as starters which is a great thing. A lot of them will get plenty of playing time and are ready to take over. Omar Kahn has really done a great job putting this roster together in less than one year.
Probably the only one who starts is Benton. Great issue to have. Levi Wallace is an URFA next year so starting him this year and sprinkling in JPJ in nickel to play outside gives him snaps but not so many to be worrisome. Jones has two solid starters in front of him and learning in practice vs TJ Watt, Highsmith and Herbig should be huge in his Devlopment. Darnell Washington imo will be a great #2 TE for years to come. I don't see him over taking Freiermuth at any given point but a guy like that as the second TE is huge. Literally and figuratively. Herbig won't be starting in front of Watt or Highsmith but Watt's contract is through 2025. Herbig is through 2026. This might be a situation where the team lets Watt walk if he demands too much at 31 and lock up the (in 2025) the 24 year old pass rusher. Trice should have a full year to get healthy and by all accounts was on par with JPJ. Could be a nice duo when Pat Pete's contract is up. And I wouldn't give up on Spencer Anderson as after 2024 Cole is an URFA and Anderson will still have two years left on his deal. This could end up being a perfect draft in terms of getting quality players in each spot and perhaps a few long term starters.