• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Post it here. What are your thoughts on Mason Rudolph being the starter

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I don’t want to hijack any threads so lets just put your feelings here for all to see.

My thoughts are this.

Rudolph will be the starter in 2022. His future 100% determined by his improvement. Is he better in October vs September? Did he play better in week 12 vs week 4? Then wins and stats. Do we win 4 games? Do we win 12? Does he throw 1:1 td:int or 2:1 or 1:2 or 3:1. Does he average 200 yards a game or 250?

What he does determines if he’s starting for us in December. If he hasn’t shown improvement we probably kick the tires on Haskins and likely go QB early 2023.

I would guess 1/3 shot at him becoming our next QB. My guess ceiling is 3900 yards, 31 tds, 13 ints. 9-8 record.

My guess for floor is (15 games) 2700 yards, 20 tds, 17 ints, 5-10 record. Benched in December.

I already said it in the other thread. Mason Rudolph is not a starting QB in the NFL. At best he is a #2, but on some teams he would be practice squad.

That doesn't mean the Steelers won't try and make him a starter. This is a franchise that has had a pretty big list of guys under center that had no business being there.

I am like many times in the minority and think IF we address the line and resign JuJu to go with Chase, DJ and Muth He could be effective. Boring, but effective. He will most likely never carry a team on his back or make us forget Ben but I think he has yet to prove he can't do it considering the **** show of play calling he has had to deal with and ****** line play. He throws a decent deep ball and surprised me with his escapability in the last game. I would give him a chance and address the bug uglies on the both lines this year and maybe take a flier on someone at QB in mid to later rounds.

I don’t think Rudy is the starter in 2022. I really think they go after either Trubisky or Marriotta who are both free agents. And if you look at their stats they aren’t bad. Both have good TD to int ratio. Also Trubisky has a pro bowl selection and a playoff appearance and Mariotta has two playoff appearances. Both much better options than Mason and don’t have to give up anything to sign them, free agents. Possibly with new team and better surroundings could do well here. Must add talent to OL though but that can be done with draft and free agency.

The guy can not fit passes consistently within tight windows. Which limits TD production which limits wins. I think it is never a good idea to go into a season trying to squeeze a backup QB into a starting role. Well unless you would like to cocksword battle with the browns to see who feeds on the scum on the bottom of the pond.

UNLESS high investment into the OL & DL happens,..... everything else is MUTE. There is NO take a luxury pick here or there, first 4 picks OL or DL or FA start value not depth signings.

MASON will only be a stepping stone to future QB. If they waste a 1st on a QB this year it will be just that,........ a wasted pick .

Salute the nation

UNLESS high investment into the OL & DL happens,..... everything else is MUTE. There is NO take a luxury pick here or there, first 4 picks OL or DL or FA start value not depth signings.

MASON will only be a stepping stone to future QB. If they waste a 1st on a QB this year it will be just that,........ a wasted pick .

Salute the nation

Agreed. I feel like 3 of the first 4 picks, have to be O and D line. And ILB is a big need as well. A lot of work is needed on the trenches.

Agreed. I feel like 3 of the first 4 picks, have to be O and D line. And ILB is a big need as well. A lot of work is needed on the trenches.

I hear yaz, I left room for if they bring in "starter" quality FAs" to reflect in 1st four draft picks.

Salute the nation

Salute the nation
So you say Rudolph will be stepping...

Some of us believe there really isn't a first round QB to pick in this draft. Doing so not only ignores our huge line needs but might be a wasted pick even if we didn't have line needs. I hope they bring in some mid tier vet with potential upside (to "battle" with Mason) and use the picks on the trenches.

Rudolph is a solid backup and decent spot starter. With a good defense and strong ground game he can get you 8-9 wins. The problem is that is an ideal circumstance and it leads you to mediocrity at best. He is not the Steelers long-term option at the position.

Rudolph has flaws and potential… people writing him off ignore the multitude of decent things he showed especially early in his year starting… its hard to say what he is or isn’t yet… his arm was just ok coming out, but thats better than several high profile qbs that had straight noodle arms at first… having a natural super arm is great, but if you don’t you can rectify that… just ask Brady or Brees…

Its really tough to judge a qb in a crap offense … a lot of tge first takes on Rudolph were really tied to Fitchner turning the o into a dink and dunk that season, not the qb running it…

He is good at not taking sacks behind a suspect line but not truly mobile… he hasn’t showed a penchant for improvising, but runs an o the way it is designed well… he still needs to show he is better at presnap reads …

All in all id rather have him starting than Haskins…

Look sure there is a chance that he could be a starter for is, but i think he will be at best a stopgap guy… maybe we will luck out and the switch will turn on next season and he will take off, but as is i tend to think that he deserves a chance to start, but won’t be better than a Neil odonnel type

I guess the question asked in the thread title is "will Rudolph be the starter" rather than "should he be the starter".

I think he'll be the starter, as well he should be.

Too bad we couldn't have found that out this year and got it the **** over with.

I don't like our chances with him as our starter. He was a flash in the pan when Ben got hurt but scouts quickly found his weaknesses and frankly hasn't been the same player since he was mauled and replaced by Duck for a few games.

If we develop a dominating running offense then maybe he can be our future Neil O Donnell and he'd only be called on to make easy passes when the opposing team crams 8+ in the box.

I hope Ben comes back next year and we draft his replacement this Spring.

Mason, will be QB1 during OTAs and mini camp. Haskins will probably be tendered exclusive restricte, so relatively cheap. No doubt a FA will be brought in. Carr seems like a good risk and a change in scenery will do him well. Mariota is a decent player, but gets injured to often, so pass. Trubisky would be interesting but he needs stability in offensive line and game plan. He also might be a FA commodity to DEN, NYG, WAS and NO.

A-N-D

The decision on Tuitt needs to be made before draft day. He needs to be evaluated and decided so as it's not a surprise on how he will be handled should he not return. Appropriations need to be made whether through the draft or FA.

Can our current staff manage this properly ?

Salute the nation

Last edited: