• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So he's gay...does anyone care?

I like how Nassib and Goodell both come out and say "hopefully in the future statements like this don't need to be made." They don't need to be made now!
Stop making nothing into something. No one cares.

It's the same reason a lot of people want politics out of sports. Most fans are tuning in for the game of football, not who the players are dating or who they vote for.

Bravo, sir. Well said.

I'll quote Carl himself on why we should care,
“As I mentioned in my video message, I am partnering with the Trevor Project. I was immediately drawn to the Trevor Project when I learned about their mission to provide suicide prevention services to the LGBTQ community. Young LGBTQ kids are over 5x more likely than their straight friends to commit suicide. For someone like me, who has been so lucky and cherishes every day, it brings me incredible sadness to think that our LGBTQ youth are at such an elevated risk for suicide. I feel an immense responsibility to help in any way I can — and you can, too. Studies have shown that all it takes is one accepting adult to decrease the risk of an LGBTQ kid attempting suicide by 40%. Whether you’re a friend, a parent, a coach, or a teammate — you can be that person.

“As I mentioned in my video message, I am partnering with the Trevor Project. I was immediately drawn to the Trevor Project when I learned about their mission to provide suicide prevention services to the LGBTQ community. Young LGBTQ kids are over 5x more likely than their straight friends to commit suicide. For someone like me, who has been so lucky and cherishes every day, it brings me incredible sadness to think that our LGBTQ youth are at such an elevated risk for suicide. I feel an immense responsibility to help in any way I can — and you can, too. Studies have shown that all it takes is one accepting adult to decrease the risk of an LGBTQ kid attempting suicide by 40%. Whether you’re a friend, a parent, a coach, or a teammate — you can be that person.
Yes, that is very sad, it's a great cause and very nice contribution by him. That's still not a reason why we need to care about his sexual preference.
Does anyone care about the people who have the highest rate of suicide(middle aged white men)? 70% of the suicides in 2019 were middle aged white males.. anyone care? Nope, it is never a topic of discussion anywhere. I know when kids are involved it is all the more sad but a life is a life. That rate is insanely high and overwhelmingly ignored.

A very valid question is, why is one life more important than the other?

Yes, that is very sad, it's a great cause and very nice contribution by him. That's still not a reason why we need to care about his sexual preference.
Does anyone care about the people who have the highest rate of suicide(middle aged white men)? 70% of the suicides in 2019 were middle aged white males.. anyone care? Nope, it is never a topic of discussion anywhere. I know when kids are involved it is all the more sad but a life is a life. That rate is insanely high and overwhelmingly ignored.

A very valid question is, why is one life more important than the other?
I don't think you should care about his preference. I think you should care that one of the many gay players has finally come out to help end the stigma. On your other point, I happily announce that I am coming out as a middle aged white male.

I don't think you should care about his preference. I think you should care that one of the many gay players has finally come out to help end the stigma. On your other point, I happily announce that I am coming out as a middle aged white male.
a gay middle aged white male? Announce it loud and proud!

There are many gay players? Based on what evidence?

I don't need to care about that, sorry. I can acknowledge it and accept their choices as humans. Nothing more than that.

I think it's funny that he is considered so "brave" for coming out. I think it's braver now to proclaim you are straight.

Can't someone contribute to a cause they believe in without announcing anything or making it about themself?

No problem with it at all. Not sure why he had to announce he has anal sex with other men though. Should be a personal thing.

There was a guy in my bowling league who was gay he quit because some would make comments to him.

Was it related to the guy not paying a bet he lost, being a welcher? Because if you're a welcher, people should feel free to make comments about that fact, and the welcher should suck it up and enjoy the comments.

But better if the welcher stops being a welcher and pays the bet. Right, jitter$50?

I wouldn’t want to shower with him.

Reactions: MTC
I think it is more about him being himself and living his life openly moving forward and showing other LGBT members they aren't alone. I honestly don't think this has to do with anyone here on a message board or any fans whether they care if he is gay or not. And him being the first openly gay active player.....well that alone says something in itself about the entire situation.

When did you all become so progressive?
They didn’t. They’re too cowardly to resort to their homophobic jokes and insults when they realize they’re in the minority opinion.

They didn’t. They’re too cowardly to resort to their homophobic jokes and insults when they realize they’re in the minority opinion.
So jokes can't be said without being labeled something?

It's funny how that's the case for everything except when people are joking about straight white people then it becomes "just a joke" all a sudden.. strange how that works, isn't it?

It's funny how that's the case for everything except when people are joking about straight white people then it becomes "just a joke" all a sudden.. strange how that works, isn't it?
you can't joke about anything anymore and still have no problem with their decisions or life choices, but someone still will get their panties in a bunch because they are offended. It must be tough being a comedian in 2021.

So jokes about straight white people that are meant as an insult? Give an example.

Reactions: Vis
I think it is more about him being himself and living his life openly moving forward and showing other LGBT members they aren't alone. I honestly don't think this has to do with anyone here on a message board or any fans whether they care if he is gay or not. And him being the first openly gay active player.....well that alone says something in itself about the entire situation.
That's fair but why not just live openly and let people just see how you're living like everyone else does. That's how you let it become more normal, not by making a video and posting it on social media. The more people that keep posting videos and making statements, it is normalizing that way and people feel the need to keep following that method.

So jokes about straight white people that are meant as an insult? Give an example.
White people can't dance, white people dress a certain way, white people talk like this, white guys can't jump. Those things are "joked" about on a daily basis in media, sports, movies. I mean couldn't care less but why is that alright but making a joke about another race or someone's sexual preference is off limits?

This isn't the forum for this, but your comment really show what a jackass you are. I don't believe anyone on this site ( I know I don't) gives a rats *** about most social issues. The problem occurs when people expect others to pay for their personal decisions.

There are many gay players? Based on what evidence?
Mathematical evidence?

There's nearly 1700 players on active NFL rosters. If 10% of the general population is homosexual (that number is generally accepted as an estimate), you're talking about 170 guys. If you don't believe that percentage is correct, or if you think that big bad football players are "straighter" than average, take a fourth of it, and it's still over 40 players.

White people can't dance, white people dress a certain way, white people talk like this, white guys can't jump. Those things are "joked" about on a daily basis in media, sports, movies. I mean couldn't care less but why is that alright but making a joke about another race or someone's sexual preference is off limits?
The difference is that people don’t feel the need to live in secrecy of the fact that they can’t dance or aren’t good athletes and don’t fear what might happen if people were to find out. It’s not at all the same thing.

This isn't the forum for this, but your comment really show what a jackass you are. I don't believe anyone on this site ( I know I don't) gives a rats *** about most social issues. The problem occurs when people expect others to pay for their personal decisions.
Pay for personal decisions? WTF?