• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Way to NOT put your rookie QB in a position to succeed

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Hearing the announcers state Pickett didn’t get reps last week and then bringing him in in the 3rd quarter is just an asinine thing to do. Any coach considering a QB change would have at least given your rookie a percentage of reps. Expecting him to come in cold and light it up is bad coaching.

The good news is the interceptions didn’t seem to phase KP. And he’s going to have to have a short memory. I think he instantly found chemistry with fellow rookie George Pickens. That’s good. I think when Calvin Austin 3 comes back we should start to phase out Claypool. He’s regressed considerably and at this point is a liability. I don’t think DJ will ever be AB but I think he’s a top 15 WR and paired up with the young guys could easily be a top 10 guy.
O-line played better. And Harris played better but watching him he’s not an elite back. He’s a solid back but I feel we need more Warren. He seems to find the hole a little better or maybe his size allows him to sneak through. Either way we need more Warren.
Freiermuth is a stud.
Heyward took too much of a beating last year. He’s not what he was. Still good but just not great. Imo we need to rotate more. Keep everyone fresh. We are weak at ILB. Jack is decent but not great. Bush is still garbage. Spillane needs to come in early and on short yardage not passing downs.
Edmunds imo is having a very under appreciated season. I hope he’s ok because he’s played admirably. He’s never going to be TP or Fitzpatrick but he I think could be Ryan Clark.
Maulet really has stepped up. I dare to say solid and above average. Sutton needs to be resigned.

I'm glad Pickett entered the game, but they handled it poorly. Either start him this week or wait another week or two and give him the full week of practice. I also agree about Claypool, he offers very little for this offense. His biggest mismatch opportunity is his size and he doesn't know how to use it.

It's almost as if....Mikey Shades caved.

Tomlin had no plans to play him this week. Game was not out of hand, but clearly we weren't moving the ball and the O sucked. Then the fans chanted Kenny Kenny again. As they have most games. And it's as if Tomlin listened to them. I can't think of another reason, because giving the kid no reps at all is just idiotic.

That said, for having NO reps in practice...Kenny impressed. Kid played well. None of the INTs were truly on him. Two tipped passes picked (granted one was high, but certainly catchable) and a hail mary. Kid played like a smaller Josh Allen. Took hits, got up smiling. He won me over today.

Tomlin was under pressure from the Front office, Fans, and players… last year tgere were rumors he was under simular pressure to replace Green at Center and refused until late… perhaps he is learning

Tomlin had no plans to play him this week. Game was not out of hand, but clearly we weren't moving the ball and the O sucked. Then the fans chanted Kenny Kenny again. As they have most games. And it's as if Tomlin listened to them. I can't think of another reason, because giving the kid no reps at all is just idiotic.

That said, for having NO reps in practice...Kenny impressed. Kid played well. None of the INTs were truly on him. Two tipped passes picked (granted one was high, but certainly catchable) and a hail mary. Kid played like a smaller Josh Allen. Took hits, got up smiling. He won me over today.
He made three outstanding throws today.

Back shoulder throw to Pickens along the sideline.
Stood in the pocket and took a shot throwing over the middle to Freiermuth.
Deep ball to Pickens late in the game for a huge gain.

All three were big-time throws.

Tomlin was under pressure from the Front office, Fans, and players… last year tgere were rumors he was under simular pressure to replace Green at Center and refused until late… perhaps he is learning
If he were in his first few years, cool. As it is, he is a lousy coach.

Kenny will be fine if he can survive the rest of the season with Canada.

I agree it's almost time to cut ties with Claypool one way or another. Diontae is no where near a top 10 or 15 WR. He makes several plays that could put him in that stratosphere, but then he makes way too many mistakes that drop him out.

The defense just leaves me shaking my head. Yes we're missing the DPOY but besides Minkah and a 32 year old DL, who's quickly wearing down, why the hell are the rest even collecting a check?

If they ran something smart on first down instead of toss on the crucial on him interception the whole sequence changes. It was just a stupid *** play in that situation.

10 days between games and the dumbass HC finally realizes who his better QB is, but gives him no reps

Dude is getting stupider year by year

And it looks like he started the process in 1917.

Hearing the announcers state Pickett didn’t get reps last week and then bringing him in in the 3rd quarter is just an asinine thing to do. Any coach considering a QB change would have at least given your rookie a percentage of reps. Expecting him to come in cold and light it up is bad coaching.
Against the ****** odds given to him by his head coach, Pickett came in and sparked the team, showing mobility and toughness. There is no reason on God's green earth that Tomlin should have wasted those ten days with Trubisky taking all of reps, especially if he was entertaining the thought of potentially pulling Mitch at any point in the game.

The three picks sucked, but...
a) Claypool has no idea how to high-point a football.
b) Why are they running 5-yard toss sweeps with 4 minutes left in the game in field-goal range? It was a bad pitch by Kenny, but that play would have been blown up anyway. It led to them being forced to throw on 2nd-and-long, and his worst mistake of the day (although Freiermuth did get his hands on it).
c) At least, unlike Trubisky, Pickett showed that he has the arm to reach the end zone on a deep Hail Mary.
The good news is the interceptions didn’t seem to phase KP. And he’s going to have to have a short memory. I think he instantly found chemistry with fellow rookie George Pickens. That’s good. I think when Calvin Austin 3 comes back we should start to phase out Claypool. He’s regressed considerably and at this point is a liability. I don’t think DJ will ever be AB but I think he’s a top 15 WR and paired up with the young guys could easily be a top 10 guy.
Agree about Claypool, but DJ is nowhere close to a top-15 receiver. As evidenced by his 2 catches for 11 yards today, with yet another pass going right through his hands and resulting in an interception.

I thought DJ was going to be the next AB, but I was completely wrong. AB makes that catch on the fastball from Mitch through traffic, and there's no INT. AB gets both feet down on that nice throw from Mitch in the end zone, and it's a TD. If either or both of those plays are made, like a #1 receiver should, we're looking at an entirely different game.

Kenny impressed me today coming in cold. I never expected it since he has not taken any first team reps and shades never have any indication of making such a move.
His overall field awareness, pocket presence, ability to see the field, quick processing, and NO HESITATION were clear upgrades over Trubisky. Different presence and feeling when Kenny comes in.
On the interceptions the first one to Claypool needs to be caught. He’s 6’4 and couldn’t win a contest with a 5’8 DB? Pitiful!
The second one was on Kenny. He knows he shouldn’t have thrown it or at least get lower for Muth to make the catch. The last one to me was just a Hail Mary to the end zone.
I’m going with Kenny the rest of the way and letting him grow with the team.Don’t **** this up shades!

b) Why are they running 5-yard toss sweeps with 4 minutes left in the game in field-goal range? It was a bad pitch by Kenny, but that play would have been blown up anyway. It led to them being forced to throw on 2nd-and-long, and his worst mistake of the day (although Freiermuth did get his hands on it).
This play was rushed as well. They had over 20 seconds on the play clock when it was snapped. Was there a risk of a replay? I thought it was a clean catch by Pickens and no fumble.

This play was rushed as well. They had over 20 seconds on the play clock when it was snapped. Was there a risk of a replay? I thought it was a clean catch by Pickens and no fumble.
All the more reason that they should have simply run it up the middle, like they usually do. Without the complication, and without losing five yards.

I'm thinking Shades got a call from Deuce at halftime.

I have never seen a wide receiver as tall and as big and fast as Claypool squander those physical attributes as well as he does.
Claypool 'jumping' for contested balls is starting to look like Shaq shooting foul shots.
Martavius Bryant v2.0.