• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What Needs to Happen to avoid another winning, whining season in 24

TimesHaveChanged

Registered
Reaction score
What needs to happen so next season isn't another whining season:

Culture must improve. Things stay in locker room. Players stop giving quotes to media regarding their roster preferences. This is all on the Coach

QB position must improve dramatically via KP, draft or trade.

PUNTER. hello? (Borat voice)

The Draft. I could go on and on here because we need solid young talent pretty much everywhere so I'll just say The Draft.

Cut the big salaries and dead weight. Baltimore follows the 80/20 rule and G-d knows they copy us enough so copy them for once. Is Heyward worth it? Minkah?

Trades. We have six picks and the 4th rounder I think from the Rams. Do your magic and make things happen.

I vote for a rebuild season because I fear another 2, 3, 4 seasons of 9 wins and drafting in the 20s. People don't like to hear that but I'd trade Watt for picks and draft linemen. He's wasting away here with no ring in sight.

Shades scoffs at your idea of rebuilding.
We’re always only a play or two or a player or two from a championship. :ROFLMAO:

If they can run at the beginning of the year like they did the back part of this year and find a legit 3rd WR (still could be Austin), it will help KP (or whoever the QB is) tremendously but the OL still needs to learn to block for the pass much better than they have been. A good run, pass mix and use the middle of the field. On the D side, they need another legit DL to go with Cam (if he's back for a final year) and Benton. I'm still not sold they will keep Ogunjobi at his cap hit. He was invisible most of this past season. They also need to somehow keep the ILB's and S's healthy.

Item A. The team has to be more aggressive in the Red Zone passing game. For like five years now we have been stupidly conservative in there.

Item B. The team has to quit allowing teams to convert 2nd and 3rd and extremely long downs with passive plays..

Item C. We need to use the TEs in the passing game way more. Its chronically underutilized because we want them to be safety valves in the blocking game... that is really hurting the passing game.

Item D. The center position needs to be more stable. Either they need to simplify Coles blocks and not ask him to make super athletic two gap stuff or tgey need to bring in a guy who can...

You're talking about coaching and schemes but we don't have the talent. The draft and the cap need to be aced. QB needs to be locked down by someone.

There are holes everywhere in the roster and a few players who aren't worth 5 or 10 percent of the cap. They have to take less or move on.

I'd love to see a bunch of big guys drafted in anticipation of either KP or the guy who is going to come in and take us back to the AFCCG.

Corners. Big guys. A QB. A punter, for the love of all things unholy.

Item A. The team has to be more aggressive in the Red Zone passing game. For like five years now we have been stupidly conservative in there.

I think that goes to the whole field. Mason had open play calling (due to Tomlin’s *** on the line), then Tomlin turtle ball for the playoff game. Shows what happens when Tomlin gets invovled.

Item B. The team has to quit allowing teams to convert 2nd and 3rd and extremely long downs with passive plays..

2 down DL have been a problem for even back to the last of Dick L., about the time Coach Tomlin was getting his fingers involved on D

Item C. We need to use the TEs in the passing game way more. Its chronically underutilized because we want them to be safety valves in the blocking game... that is really hurting the passing game.

ERIC GREEN, say Hello. I want the rest of the TEs to replicate ate that fact. To get this, I think the OL coach needs to be better and along with the new OC’s scheme…….. it could very well happen

Item D. The center position needs to be more stable. Either they need to simplify Coles blocks and not ask him to make super athletic two gap stuff or tgey need to bring in a guy who can...

I’m so desperate for a BONAFIDE center (to bad we missed on Creed). That I’m willing to get the best and if it takes a #1 pick, so be it.

GREAT post madinsomniac, thanks for all the great ones along the way.

Salute the nation

Last edited:
You're talking about coaching and schemes but we don't have the talent. The draft and the cap need to be aced. QB needs to be locked down by someone.

There are holes everywhere in the roster and a few players who aren't worth 5 or 10 percent of the cap. They have to take less or move on.

I'd love to see a bunch of big guys drafted in anticipation of either KP or the guy who is going to come in and take us back to the AFCCG.

Corners. Big guys. A QB. A punter, for the love of all things unholy.

They can sign a FA punter can’t remember his name but he was innocent of the accusations that got him canned from buffalo.
He’d be very reasonable cost as well.

Salute the nation

What needs to happen is to be able to play most of your division opponents without their starting QBs again.
Well, except for Lamar. We need to keep him healthy.

I hate to tell you this. There is nothing that could be done. They will be relevant but not really contend. They are caught in the perpetual middle till someone in the organization says enough. And there may be some lean times but ladies and gentlemen of this great nation it is better than Groundhog Day.

I hate to tell you this. There is nothing that could be done. They will be relevant but not really contend. They are caught in the perpetual middle till someone in the organization says enough. And there may be some lean times but ladies and gentlemen of this great nation it is better than Groundhog Day.
Well put.
Like I’ve said elsewhere, there are 6 or 7 teams in the AFC that are so far ahead of us in talent and coaching that it isn’t funny.
Didn’t have to be this way but Shades and his ego always thought he was pretty close. Maybe this year he learned he has a ways to go.

but ladies and gentlemen of this great nation it is better than Groundhog Day.

Is it? I offer that it isn't better than Groundhog Day that it IS Groundhog day. Every morning SteelerNation wakes up at that same time same bat channel only to see the same results spread out before us. No not Mike and the Mechanics but Mike and the Mediocres with that hit song on repeat, "over and over again".

Yes will see Bill Murray go through trying to change it up but the next morning the clock strikes 559 AM,

no worries I got you babe.

Well put.
Like I’ve said elsewhere, there are 6 or 7 teams in the AFC that are so far ahead of us in talent and coaching that it isn’t funny.
Didn’t have to be this way but Shades and his ego always thought he was pretty close. Maybe this year he learned he has a ways to go.
Don’t bet on it.He went right back to his old ways as soon as they qualified for the Playoffs, with the same results. For that reason alone he should be allowed to go somewhere else. He will NEVER change his ways, and nobody is man enough to show him the door.

What I'm hearing all of you say is that the Tomlin coached Steelers are a second tier team.
As Cowher’s players and staff retired or moved on,the team’s playoff performance got undeniably worse. Also in his last few years I think Colbert lost his draft mojo.

As Cowher’s players and staff retired or moved on,the team’s playoff performance got undeniably worse. Also in his last few years I think Colbert lost his draft mojo.

They need to make upgrades. Whatever that may result in. If that means moving on from Cam and upgrading in free agency do it. If that means targeting the best QB option in free agency or the draft do it. If that means bringing in a defensive assistant as they clearly aren't canning the DC do it. Can Peterson and Robinson. Bring in a reliable CB... Cut the dead weight. At least give yourself a fighting chance to be competitive where it counts, where it matters...

They need to make upgrades. Whatever that may result in. If that means moving on from Cam and upgrading in free agency do it. If that means targeting the best QB option in free agency or the draft do it. If that means bringing in a defensive assistant as they clearly aren't canning the DC do it. Can Peterson and Robinson. Bring in a reliable CB... Cut the dead weight. At least give yourself a fighting chance to be competitive where it counts, where it matters...
Agree, but I don’t that Shades’ ego will allow him to do things much differently or admit to bad decisions. There was somewhat of an admission that what we’ve been doing isn’t working in his end of season presser and they did hire a new OC from outside who is not a Friend Of Mike’s but I don’t see wholesale changes until he’s gone, which should happen in three years at the end of his next extension when he still hasn’t won a playoff game.

Drafts are hit or miss and we all know this

Bungles went from complete mismanagement and irrelevance to complete mismanagement and competitive based on 3 years of successful drafting. If the Mike Brown bungles can get better simply by drafting well... Well

Referring to the time of AJ Green 2011. Guys like Green make FO and Coaches look really good

Beef up the lines and draft/trade properly and a little good fortune and be One of those teams that goes from not making the playoffs one year to the championship game the next. KP can make this very easy on us