• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 8

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football Week 8

7 Penn State at 3 Ohio State 12:00 FOX OSU-4.5 O/U 45.5
Game of the year thus far. Both teams look similar so far. Elite defenses and offenses that have been good but not great. Both are breaking in new QBs. It looks to be a defensive game.

last year that game was decided by the OL. Ohio State had a good OL and Penn State's was bad after injuries had their 3rd string RT getting destroyed. DE J.T. Tuimoloa pretty much won the game himself.

This year, it's the Ohio State OL that has struggled. Penn State's has been much better. Penn State defense is #1 in sacks per game (4.5). Ohio State is 95th (1.6). Penn State has 4 really good pass rushers they can rotate. Can they make QB Kyle McCord uncomfortable?

Penn State's offense is not flashy but it is one of the most efficient in the nation, meaning they score on a high % of drives. They have lacked big plays. It's a bit of a concern but could be a positive. OSU has been playing a bend don't break defense where an offense has to stay patient and take the short stuff. That's what they've been doing all year.

The X Factor is Marvin Harrison. Penn State could do everything right and McCord could just chuck one up to Harrison and he makes a big play.

I wish this game was at PSU. It's Allar's first big road game and a few mistakes could be all that decides this game.

Wash State at 9 Oregon 3:30 ABC Ore-20
Oregon coming off the last second loss to Washington. They need to win out to get the rematch vs Wash in the Pac 12 Title game for a possible playoff berth. Can't afford a letdown here.

17 Tennessee at 11 Alabama 3:30 CBS ALA-9.5
Tennessee's defense is better this year but the offense is not as good. Perfect example of how important timing is to college sports. If you had this year's defense with last year's offense, Tenn would be a contender. The QB's Milton and Milroe remind me of each other. Bama's home. I don't think Tenn can pull off this road upset.

Minnesota at 24 Iowa 3:30 NBC Iowa-3.5
Iowa was written off for dead after their loss to Penn State but they are quietly 5-1 and coming of a big win vs Wisconsin. They look like a safe bet to win the West and play in the Big 10 title game.

Oklahoma State at West Virginia 3:30 ESPN WVU-3
WVU's only losses are week 1 to Penn State and last week to Houston on a Hail Mary. WVU was picked to be last in the Big 12. If they can win this game, they have a real shot to get in the Big 12 championship.

8 Texas at Houston 4:00 FOX Tex-23.5
coming off the loss to Oklahoma in the red River Shootout, Texas better not let down. They can still get a rematch against Ok in the Big 12 Title game if they win out. Houston is coming off a Hail Mary win vs West Virginia last week.

13 Ole Miss at Auburn 7:00 ESPN Miss-6.5
Miss is still alive for the SEC West spot in the champ game. Auburn coming off 3 straight losses to TAM, Georgia, and LSU. Auburn needs a big win to save the season.

2 Michigan at Michigan State 7:30 NBC Mich-24
Mich State coach was fired in a he said she said situation. Maybe Harbaugh has some surveillance footage that can help his case.

16 Duke at 4 Florida State 7:30 FSU-14.5
Duke should have beaten Notre Dame 2 weeks ago. They rebounded with a big win against NC State with their backup QB. They will need starter Riley Leonard back and healthy if they want to beat FSU. FSU does not play UNC in the regular season. Duke is FSU's last ranked opponent on the schedule although they do play Jeckyl and Hyde Miami.

14 Utah at 18 USC 8:00 FOX USC-7
USC has no defense and Caleb Williams might be a diva. If they lose this game, maybe Caleb starts thinking about sitting out games to prepare for the draft. Utah has no offense without QB Cam Rising. But they are tough. They may be able to push around a soft USC defense.

I haven't seen enough from Penn State to think they will win this but that is why they play the games. If they can pull out the win, oh boy! They would easily move into the top 5 for their big showdown with Michigan in a couple of weeks. If they can even win one of the 2 games, it keeps them solidly in the top 10 and still a potential for the playoffs. Win both and they are definitely in the playoffs. Let's see what Franklin has as a game coach or is he just another Tomlin.

I haven't seen enough from Penn State to think they will win this but that is why they play the games. If they can pull out the win, oh boy! They would easily move into the top 5 for their big showdown with Michigan in a couple of weeks. If they can even win one of the 2 games, it keeps them solidly in the top 10 and still a potential for the playoffs. Win both and they are definitely in the playoffs. Let's see what Franklin has as a game coach or is he just another Tomlin.
James Franklin = Mike Tomlin, both are choke artists but are loyal to their players and the players love them

I think the big plays down the field the will be the difference in the game. OSU way better. PSU doesn't have a legitimate deep threat.

I think the big plays down the field the will be the difference in the game. OSU way better. PSU doesn't have a legitimate deep threat.
I'm still shocked that after their week off, they didn't at least try a few during their cake walk game last week. It was a perfect opportunity since they haven't done it all year yet but Franklin said he is happy with the style of offense they are playing. I hope he is right.

I'm still shocked that after their week off, they didn't at least try a few during their cake walk game last week. It was a perfect opportunity since they haven't done it all year yet but Franklin said he is happy with the style of offense they are playing. I hope he is right.
They tried several. Didn't connect, but they tried. Allar was overthrowing guys that were wide open.

I'll take a 2 teamer with PSU +4.5 & Iowa -3.5.

Penn State is slightly better than Ohio St this year and Minnesota will be lucky to score 6 points against that Hawkeye defense.

I’m going to the Penn State - Ohio State game. The last time I was in attendance to watch these two teams play was on October 7th, 1995, Eddie George, Orlando Pace and Jeff Hartings were on the field.

This is a bigger game for Penn State than it is for Ohio State. Over the years, Penn State has had Ohio State on the ropes multiple times, only to see Franklin turtle up his defense and allow Ohio State to come back and win. Based on talent alone, Penn State should squeak this one out. I just don't have confidence that they will.

Seen this movie too many times where Penn State is the better team, but they lose to a better coached OSU team. Right now, Ryan Day owns James Franklin. Hoping they break that trend Saturday.

This is a bigger game for Penn State than it is for Ohio State. Over the years, Penn State has had Ohio State on the ropes multiple times, only to see Franklin turtle up his defense and allow Ohio State to come back and win. Based on talent alone, Penn State should squeak this one out. I just don't have confidence that they will.

Seen this movie too many times where Penn State is the better team, but they lose to a better coached OSU team. Right now, Ryan Day owns James Franklin. Hoping they break that trend Saturday.
Agreed...But I dont believe Day is head & shoulders above Franklin.

OSU by 10 or more.

OSU at home = 12th man.
Allar on road for first time in a big stakes game.
Day > Franklin
Franklin's record vs. top 10 teams stinks.
PSU has no big playmakers.
PSU's vaunted run game has not emerged....they've not impressed at all.....haven't run worth a damn since Barkley and Sanders.
PSU DL is kinda small...expect them to wilt over time.

OSU by 10 or more.

OSU at home = 12th man.
Allar on road for first time in a big stakes game.
Day > Franklin
Franklin's record vs. top 10 teams stinks.
PSU has no big playmakers.
PSU's vaunted run game has not emerged....they've not impressed at all.....haven't run worth a damn since Barkley and Sanders.
PSU DL is kinda small...expect them to wilt over time.
I'll give you props on most of the things you mentioned but the last three points are laughable. PSU's running game is 15th in the nation ahead of Michigan (40th) and Ohio State (91st) and Michigan played an extra game. WTF are you talking about? This defense is #1 in the nation and #1 in Sacks, #5 for Tackle for loss, they aren't wilting at all. And don't forget, Ryan Day is already making excuses that his team is banged up because he knows Penn State has depth, they're healthy, and they're fresh having the ability to rotate guys throughout the season thus far.

Oh yeah, about their lack of play makers...I get the feeling OSU is going to get doses of Beau Pribula in packages during the game. Who? You might ask...you'll know it after the game if my hunch is correct.

WE ARE!!

I highly recommend watching this video. It’s a great discussion on why so many QBs are struggling now in college football. Gets into discussing a few specific QBs. It’s a combination of several highly touted recruits not panning out, QBs transferring at the drop of a hat and having to learn new systems, and the fact that RPO is not as effective as it used to be which means QBs actually have to learn to play QB again instead of just play faking and throwing to a wide open guy.

Yep, OSU is Franklin's kryptonite. But as OSU is favorited I did use the money line on my Parlay.

Penn State has running numbers because they run a lot and have had more success at the end of their blowout games. I don't think the top 2 RB's have broken a single long run all year whereas last year (with a terrible OL) they broke at least one in almost every game. For them to even get a 20 yard run is very few and far between.

The Defense is going to have to carry the day. They should be able to get after the OSU QB so maybe that will even the odds a little.

I worry about the first big test on the road for Allar too. He didn't look good at Ill earlier in the year and this makes that game look like a High School scrimmage.
Penn State has running numbers because they run a lot and have had more success at the end of their blowout games. I don't think the top 2 RB's have broken a single long run all year whereas last year (with a terrible OL) they broke at least one in almost every game. For them to even get a 20 yard run is very few and far between.

They don't have any legitimate down field threat aside of the TE's and teams can focus on stopping the run.

Sean Clifford and Drew Allar are two completely different QB's and defenses don't have to worry so much about Allar running like they did Clifford. Defenses are playing the run and keying the backs now, so running the ball isn't as "open" as it was in the past with the read option.

the top 2 RBs Allen and Singleton have a total of 14 carries in the 4th quarter this year. Penn State has played backups almost exclusively in 4th quarter this year. That also cuts off some of their stats.

Sean Clifford and Drew Allar are two completely different QB's and defenses don't have to worry so much about Allar running like they did Clifford. Defenses are playing the run and keying the backs now, so running the ball isn't as "open" as it was in the past with the read option.

They can put Pribula in on some plays. He can run. I hope they do some of that tomorrow.

True but Clifford really wasn't a great runner. He was better than Allar and they ran QB keeper plays more than Allar does. I still think they should be able to throw downfield more and the running game should have been much better against the lesser teams they have played so far this year. It doesn't really seem like the O has improved as this season has gone along but the D has. We will see what they have in the tank tomorrow.

Ryan Day wouldn't win 5 games at Vanderbilt. Franklin built them into a bowl team. That's a near impossible task. Ryan Day is a pretty good playcaller who inherited a loaded team. Is he a great coach? Not sure.

Agreed...But I dont believe Day is head & shoulders above Franklin.
I don’t either. Day has his struggles, but James Franklin isn’t one of them.

Penn State has the better QB, they should win this game. Also, the game of the year so far was last week between Washington and Oregon. Ohio State-Penn State will get more hype because they're in the Big 10, but last week's had some serious juice heading into the game and the two teams delivered on the field as well.