• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 1

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football Week 1

The season officially started last week but it was a weak appetizer, the action really starts this week with a full schedule. It's not a great schedule. Most teams start with cupcakes but it's nice to have a full day of games that count.

Game of the Week

Sat 9/2
West Virginia at 7 Penn State Sat 9/2 at 7:30 NBC PSU -20.5
NBC finally has a deal to televise major college football. I think they used to play some Catholic league games or something. Old rivals meet at night in a Stripe Out.

Some bad news for PSU as their starting OG Landon Tengwell announced he is quitting football due to chronic injuries. The good news is that he has been injured so they are used to being without him. The OL finally has real depth and should still be one of the best. LT Ola Fashanu is seen as the top OL prospect for the 24 draft.

Penn State's defense should be very good again. Chop Robinson is back at DE and fellow pass rusher Dani Denis-Sutton is expected to have a breakout season. LB Abdul Carter had a great freshman season and is getting Micah Parsons buzz. The secondary has Kalen King regarded as a possible 1st rounder at CB. Johnny Dixon and Daquan Hardy also have tons of experience. The name to watch is freshman S King Mack who has supposedly looked like a star in camp.

PSU's run game should be great again with gamebreaker Nick Singleton and workhorse Kaytron Allen. They added WR transfer Dante Cephas to a WR group that has depth but needs somebody to step up as WR1. KeAndre Lambert-SMith has shown flashes. Sean Clifford's brother Liam looks to get a lot of play in the slot. They have some potential big play guys that have not yet delivered.

It may be all about QB Drew Allar. He was a 5 star recruit that was ranked QB1 on some scout services coming out of High School. He got in seveeral games last year in mop up duty and when Clifford was dinged. If Allar plays up to his 5 star ranking then that will iift up the whole offense and make PSU a real playoff contender this year.

Now on to the less important games

Thursday Aug 31

Florida at 14 Utah 8:00 ESPN Utah -4.5

Unfortunately Utah QB Cam Rising is not expected to play. Florida has ne starting QB Graham Mertz who transferred from Wisconsin where ha had 32 starts. This is the first non-conference road opened for FLorida since 1987. Utah will have to lean on the run game without their starting QB.

Nebraska at Minnesota 8:00 FOX Minn -7
It's the first game for new Nebraska HC Matt Rhule. It didn't work out for him in the NFL, although he's got to be thinking why they drafted a QB after he left and stuck him wioth tryiong to win with Sam Darnold. Rhule, the former Penn State walkon, was a great college coach at both Temple and Baylor. He did an amazing job bringing Baylor back from the dumpster fire left by Art Briles. Rhules prved he could recruit Texas which is absolutely necessary for Nebraska to succeed.

Saturday Sept 2

Colorado at 17 TCU 12:00 FOX TCU -20.5

It's shameless self promoter Deon Sanders first game coaching in FBS. He broght in over 50 transfer players while kicking most of the team to the curb. What does he care, he only took the job because he needed a crap team where he could start his kid at QB and then get credit for a great coaching job by winning about 6 games. One win Colorado was perfect.

Deon is already working on the important stuff, redesigning the uniforms and getting the players a sunglasses deal.

Here's hoping TCU hangs 100 on them then goes for 2

3 Ohio State at Indiana 3:30 CBS OSU -30
starting with a conference game can be tough with a new QB. OSU has a hug talent edge but it may be a slow start with a neq QB. Kyle McCord has been named starter but Devin Brown will also play, so it seems they are not completely settled on a started yet.

Wofford at Pitt 3:30 ACC Network
This game is happening

21 North Carolina at South Carolina 7:30 ABC UNC -2.5
It's the Duke's Mayo Classic. Get you some Tater Salad and enjoy the border battle. Could be a QB battle with UNC's Drake Maye-o vs SC's Spencer Rattler who flamed out at Oklahoma. Maye needs a big game if he wants to win a Heisman and be a top 10 pick in the draft

Sunday 9/3

5 LSU vs Florida State in Orlando 7:30 ABC LSU -2.5

The only ranked matchup of the week. Both teams have a lot riding on this especially FSU. Florida State likely needs this win if they want to make the playoff.

Great write up, thanks for the laughs!

We ARE!!!!

PS

Great rite up Tape, thank you for you dedication to these post(s)

They get me more interested in the college ball game.

Salute the nation

Did the moron PSU coach even name Allar as the starter and QB1 yet? Even if he did, he'll probably do something stupid and play both QB's and not just in garbage time.

Did the moron PSU coach even name Allar as the starter and QB1 yet? Even if he did, he'll probably do something stupid and play both QB's and not just in garbage time.
Yes, Allar is QB1. But, you have a point about possibly rotating them if he struggles. I'm getting Christian Hackenberg vibes from him...hope I'm wrong. I'm not confortable with their WR core. With their bolstered offensive line, there should be more TE involvement in the passing game as well as the outstanding RB's in Singleton and Allen,

Allar was apparently easily the best QB in practices and played well when put in games last year. I don't get Hackenberg vibes at all. I think he can lead them to the playoffs if Franklin has learned how to coach a top-caliber team. He has a good OL which has been their weakness the past couple of years. They have a very good D, 2 top RB's, a good TE, and good WR's. They are primed to make a run for the next 2 or 3 years. If Allar is as good as advertised, they will be top 5.

Heading up to State College for the game on Saturday. My son has been invited to be on the sidelines prior to kickoff, and they are providing us with three tickets. He's a wide receiver in high school, but at 6'4.5 and 205, Penn State is interested in him at tight end.

Pretty exciting stuff for him, and an amazing time for me as his dad.

College Football Week 1

3 Ohio State at Indiana 3:30 CBS OSU -30
starting with a conference game can be tough with a new QB. OSU has a hug talent edge but it may be a slow start with a neq QB. Kyle McCord has been named starter but Devin Brown will also play, so it seems they are not completely settled on a started yet.
That's the nicest thing I've ever seen you write about tOSU. :peep:

Yes, Allar is QB1. But, you have a point about possibly rotating them if he struggles. I'm getting Christian Hackenberg vibes from him...hope I'm wrong. I'm not confortable with their WR core. With their bolstered offensive line, there should be more TE involvement in the passing game as well as the outstanding RB's in Singleton and Allen,

it doesn't concern me that Allar is technically not named the starter. If I recall, he never officially named Clifford starter either. Franklin just tries to give out as little info as possible.

The #2 QB appears to be Beau Pribula who is more mobile. It's possible that Pribula will have a package of plays with read option. Allar isn't a lead foot. He moves well for his size like Big Ben but he's no runner.

The OC Mike Yurcich will be calling plays from the booth this year. Maybe he's adding more to the passing game with a better OL and more depth at WR.

Utes defense may have to put the nail in the coffin on this game

Florida got a lucky call. They’re still breathing in this game