• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 10

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
First playoff rankings are out with Tenn #1 despite being #2 in the polls. I'm rooting for chaos and controversy so this playoff gets expanded quickly.

15 Penn State at Indiana 3:30 ABC PSU -14
PSU is coming off a disappointing loss against Ohio State where about 12 bad minutes negated one of the best games they had played in years. The good news is they may be able to finish 10-2 with a New Year's 6 bowl. That's a far better season than most predicted.

Like the Steelers, PSU has been trying to improve the OL and it has been improved until injuries set in. Listening to some beat writers, it's possible that 4 of 5 starters, including LT Olu Fashanu may not play vs Indiana.

Fashanu has had a breakout season. He has gone from unknown to potential top 10 pick in 1 year. A recent CBS mock has the steelers picking Fashanu at #5 overall. The bad news is it seems he will leave after this season now. 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

PSU fans all want to see freshman Qb Drew Allar start the rest of the year. People are assuming Allar knows enough of the offense. Again, listening to some of the beat writers, Allar has not been great in practice. HIs talent is there, but he's a true freshman and makes a lot of mistakes. They offense would have to be scaled back. Also, due to injuries, the OL may be sketchy now. Not a great recipe to throw in a young QB.

I expect them to try to get Allar in each remaining game but you still have to start Clifford. Some fans just dismiss the prospect of 10-2 and a NY 6 game, but that's a pretty big deal come recruiting time.

As for this game, Indiana's OL is terrible and their QB is one of the most sacked in the nation. Their best WR is hurt and they have few weapons. Penn State's offense may struggle some with their OL issues, but at least they have some playmakers where IU has almost none.

1 Tennessee at 3 Georgia 3:30 CBS UGA -8
I mentioned last week that Tenn could actually be better off losing this game. It would mean they get to skip the rematch with Bama in the SEC champ game, likely finish with 1 loss and have a high probability of getting in the playoff as the 2nd SEC team that is dame near a requirement. If Tenn goes to the SEC Champ game and loses to Bama, then the committe might take Georgia over them.

Actually, i should amend my statement to say that the LOSER of this game may be in the best shape to make the playoff, provided it's a close loss.

This one is offense vs defense. Georgia lost LB Nolan Smith for the season. Will that hurt the defense just enough?

Michigan State at 16 Illinois 3:30 BTN ILL -17
Illinois keeps their magic season going. Mich State will be without several players after a fight in the tunnel after last week's game vs Michigan. The MSU players deserve the suspensions. I think Harbaugh had a hand in it as well.

Yeah, i hate the guy, and some may see this as sour grapes, but Harbaugh's out there being holier than thou about the incident when he played a part. With under 3 minutes left and the game well decided, he ran a flea flicker. Then a few plays later, threw another long bomb, with his starters still in the game. Then as MSU left the field, the whole Michigan team lined up and taunted them as they headed to the tunnel. Does that excuse the MSU players? Of course not. But Harbaugh intentionally embarrassing kids shoud also be called out.

18 Oklahoma State at Kansas 3:30 FS1 KU -1
OK St dropped 9 spots in the polls. That tends to happen when you lose 48-0 to Kansas State.

20 Syracuse at Pitt 3:30 ACCN Pitt -4
syracuse coming off 2 straight losses to Clemson and Notre Dame. Pitt lost 2 straight to Luoisville and UNC. At 4-4 record, Pitt needs this game or their bowl hopes could start slipping away. Syracus has not won in Pittsburgh in 21 years

6 Alabama at 10 LSU 7:00 ESPN ALA -13.5
Bama's defense has been suspect this year, but as long as Bryce Young is healthy, the offense is good enough to pick up the slack. Brian Kelly has done a great job in his first year at LSU. I've seen some picking LSU and with something not quite clicking with Bama, i can see why. But I can't see LSU's offense scoring enough to keep pace in this one.
I'll take a closer look at Will Anderson in this one since it appears the steelers may actually be in position to get him.

24 Texas at 13 Kansas State 7:00 Tex -2.5
Texas is a roller coaster of a team. They are coming off a bye and a tough loss to Oklahoma State. K State destroyed Ok State 48-0. KSU QB Adrian Martinez was tossed aside by Nebraska, he's played well but is not much of a passer. he only has 4 passing TDs on the season. last week while he was injured, backup QB Will Howard threw 2 TDs. It's not announced who will start for K State.

4 Clemson at Notre Dame 7:30 NBC Clem -3.5
Clemson is unbeaten and unimpressive. Notre Dame seems to be playing better but how did they lose to Stanford? This is probably Clemson's last hurdle before an ACC Champ game vs UNC. Could they sleepwalk into the playoffs?

Most fans will root against Clemson to keep them from taking up a playoffs slot. I want the playoff to expand ASAP so I'm actually rooting for Clemson to take up a spot and shut out a second SEC and Big 10 team. That will speed up the process.

21 Wake Forest at 22 NC State 8:00 ACCN Wake -4
If a Wolfpack plays against a Forest, does it make a sound? Not on my TV. I'll probably be watching the Phillies and hoping they beat the cheater Astros.

Great write up Tape!

I like the insight of the ******* Hairball. Gives us something to think about in that regards.

Thank You

Salute the nation

First playoff rankings are out with Tenn #1 despite being #2 in the polls. I'm rooting for chaos and controversy so this playoff gets expanded quickly.

15 Penn State at Indiana 3:30 ABC PSU -14
PSU is coming off a disappointing loss against Ohio State where about 12 bad minutes negated one of the best games they had played in years. The good news is they may be able to finish 10-2 with a New Year's 6 bowl. That's a far better season than most predicted.

Like the Steelers, PSU has been trying to improve the OL and it has been improved until injuries set in. Listening to some beat writers, it's possible that 4 of 5 starters, including LT Olu Fashanu may not play vs Indiana.

Fashanu has had a breakout season. He has gone from unknown to potential top 10 pick in 1 year. A recent CBS mock has the steelers picking Fashanu at #5 overall. The bad news is it seems he will leave after this season now. 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

PSU fans all want to see freshman Qb Drew Allar start the rest of the year. People are assuming Allar knows enough of the offense. Again, listening to some of the beat writers, Allar has not been great in practice. HIs talent is there, but he's a true freshman and makes a lot of mistakes. They offense would have to be scaled back. Also, due to injuries, the OL may be sketchy now. Not a great recipe to throw in a young QB.

I expect them to try to get Allar in each remaining game but you still have to start Clifford. Some fans just dismiss the prospect of 10-2 and a NY 6 game, but that's a pretty big deal come recruiting time.

As for this game, Indiana's OL is terrible and their QB is one of the most sacked in the nation. Their best WR is hurt and they have few weapons. Penn State's offense may struggle some with their OL issues, but at least they have some playmakers where IU has almost none.

1 Tennessee at 3 Georgia 3:30 CBS UGA -8
I mentioned last week that Tenn could actually be better off losing this game. It would mean they get to skip the rematch with Bama in the SEC champ game, likely finish with 1 loss and have a high probability of getting in the playoff as the 2nd SEC team that is dame near a requirement. If Tenn goes to the SEC Champ game and loses to Bama, then the committe might take Georgia over them.

Actually, i should amend my statement to say that the LOSER of this game may be in the best shape to make the playoff, provided it's a close loss.

This one is offense vs defense. Georgia lost LB Nolan Smith for the season. Will that hurt the defense just enough?

Michigan State at 16 Illinois 3:30 BTN ILL -17
Illinois keeps their magic season going. Mich State will be without several players after a fight in the tunnel after last week's game vs Michigan. The MSU players deserve the suspensions. I think Harbaugh had a hand in it as well.

Yeah, i hate the guy, and some may see this as sour grapes, but Harbaugh's out there being holier than thou about the incident when he played a part. With under 3 minutes left and the game well decided, he ran a flea flicker. Then a few plays later, threw another long bomb, with his starters still in the game. Then as MSU left the field, the whole Michigan team lined up and taunted them as they headed to the tunnel. Does that excuse the MSU players? Of course not. But Harbaugh intentionally embarrassing kids shoud also be called out.

18 Oklahoma State at Kansas 3:30 FS1 KU -1
OK St dropped 9 spots in the polls. That tends to happen when you lose 48-0 to Kansas State.

20 Syracuse at Pitt 3:30 ACCN Pitt -4
syracuse coming off 2 straight losses to Clemson and Notre Dame. Pitt lost 2 straight to Luoisville and UNC. At 4-4 record, Pitt needs this game or their bowl hopes could start slipping away. Syracus has not won in Pittsburgh in 21 years

6 Alabama at 10 LSU 7:00 ESPN ALA -13.5
Bama's defense has been suspect this year, but as long as Bryce Young is healthy, the offense is good enough to pick up the slack. Brian Kelly has done a great job in his first year at LSU. I've seen some picking LSU and with something not quite clicking with Bama, i can see why. But I can't see LSU's offense scoring enough to keep pace in this one.
I'll take a closer look at Will Anderson in this one since it appears the steelers may actually be in position to get him.

24 Texas at 13 Kansas State 7:00 Tex -2.5
Texas is a roller coaster of a team. They are coming off a bye and a tough loss to Oklahoma State. K State destroyed Ok State 48-0. KSU QB Adrian Martinez was tossed aside by Nebraska, he's played well but is not much of a passer. he only has 4 passing TDs on the season. last week while he was injured, backup QB Will Howard threw 2 TDs. It's not announced who will start for K State.

4 Clemson at Notre Dame 7:30 NBC Clem -3.5
Clemson is unbeaten and unimpressive. Notre Dame seems to be playing better but how did they lose to Stanford? This is probably Clemson's last hurdle before an ACC Champ game vs UNC. Could they sleepwalk into the playoffs?

Most fans will root against Clemson to keep them from taking up a playoffs slot. I want the playoff to expand ASAP so I'm actually rooting for Clemson to take up a spot and shut out a second SEC and Big 10 team. That will speed up the process.

21 Wake Forest at 22 NC State 8:00 ACCN Wake -4
If a Wolfpack plays against a Forest, does it make a sound? Not on my TV. I'll probably be watching the Phillies and hoping they beat the cheater Astros.
So Clemson and TCU don’t remain undefeated? Or a one loss SEC team makes the playoff vs an undefeated TCU team? That’d be bullshit.

Air Force / Army game is pretty good to point. Just catching some while eating lunch. 1/2 time

Salute the nation

Northwestern & OSU is shaping up to be pretty interesting.

Funny thing is that every year in recent years, we beat Penn. And every year that we do, Penn's fans spend the rest of the season trying to find some reason to talk "ish" on tOSU. Makes no sense unless you throw in factors like envy or sour grapes.

Funny thing is that every year in recent years, we beat Penn. And every year that we do, Penn's fans spend the rest of the season trying to find some reason to talk "ish" on tOSU. Makes no sense unless you throw in factors like envy or sour grapes.
I have a ton of respect for Ohio State. They run a great program. It's Michigan that I can't stand. F them pricks.

I have a ton of respect for Ohio State. They run a great program. It's Michigan that I can't stand. F them pricks.
Considering ttun beat us last year, I don't talk smack on them (pending results of this year's game ... lol)

Say what you want about Stetson Bennett, but he's a gritty little ****
He is the dollar store version of Drew Brees. I thank the guy for getting us a natty. I don’t think he’ll have an nfl career. Hopefully I’m wrong cause he has a nice deep ball

Edwards is struggling today. Granted his line didn’t help there

Thought Manny Diaz was supposed to be some sorta defensive genius....not seein it

Penn State getting handled so far by Indiana. They can’t turn the ball over the way they have been and keep winning.

PSU, IMHO, needs to start fresh. Franklin sucks. OL coach sucks. (yeah, I know guys are hurt, but even the starters suck in big games and can't run or pass protect), strength coach needs to go...the O gets shoved around alot and has been, going back to Hackenberg. Why not start Allar today? You already lost your 2 biggest games....you're now playing for some bowl game. Get the kid some experience. It's not like Clifford needs some exposure...he ain't going nowhere after this year. Hope they don't lose the promising freshman rbs to the portal cuz of Franklin's stupidity.

Was really looking forward to Tenn-UGA, looks like it might be a big letdown.