• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 2

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Got a few big games this week. Florida State had the statement win vs LSU last week and jumped up to #4. Clemson got rolled by Duke and fell all the way to 25.

Delaware at 7 Penn State 12:00 Peacock Streaming App
Drew Allar had a very impressive debut olast week vs WVU. He made a lot of tough throws, moving in the pocket and making the right read. This game will probably be more of a practice. Likely lots of reps for backup QB Beau Pribula and other second and 3rd stringers.

To stream you can watch on a brownser at Peacock.com or download that Peacock app for devices or smart TVs. You do not have to pay for the peacock+ subscription. The App will make you register for an account with email that will allow you to watch games as part of the free Peacock content.

10 Notre Dame at NC State 12:00 ABC ND -7.5

Notre Dame has looked good so far, bullying teams with their OL. NC State probably can't hold up either

12 Utah at Baylor 12:00 ESPN Utah -8
Utah dominated Florida last week. Florida may not be great but they are still a talented team and Utah pounded them with their backup QB.

Nebraska at 22 Colorado 12:00 FOX Colo -3
Surprised Colorado isn't favored by 50 after all of the hype from beating TCU. Nebraska lost another close one last week to Minnesota. Colorado has better skill athletes. Nebraska is bigger and more physical. Seems this game can go 2 ways. Nebraska just runs the ball, hold it for like 40 minutes and wears Colorado down. OR, Colorado hits some big plays, goes up big, nebraska has to throw to keep pace and the wheels come off.

20 Ole Miss at 24 Tulane 3:30 ESPN2 Miss -7.5
This could be a pretty good game.

23 Texas A&M at Miami 3:30 ABC TAM -4
both beat up on a cupcake last week. A&M has had some great recruiting classes but hasn't broken through yet. Jimbo Fisher's seat could get warm if they lose this one.

SMU at 18 Oklahoma 6:00 OU -15.5
SMU already won this week when they got invited to join the ACC. Huge win for their program to not be left out in the cold. Brent Venables second year at OK after spending years as DC at Clemson. His complex defenses were a huge part of their success. Last year it was dicey but maybe OK has the defense down better in year 2 of the scheme.

11 Texas at 3 Alabama 7:00 ESPN ALa -7
The gamne of the week. Texas should have won this matchup last year but they choked it away. Texas matches up well vs what Bama likes to do. After throwing a bunch with Mac Jones and Bryce Young, Bama is trying to get back to running the ball. New QB Jalen Milroe was fine last week vs Middle Tenn but how much do you take away from that?
Quinn Ewers had a hot start vs Bama last year but got injured. Texas is looking for that breakthrough game to get back in playoff consideration

13 Oregon at Texas Tech 7:00 FOX Ore -6.5

19 Wisconsin at Wash State 7:30 ABC Wis -6

New Wisc coach Luke Fickell is trying to install air raid offense at Wisky with SMU transfer QB Tanner Mordecai. They had a rough start vs Buffalo last week so it may take time to come together.

Stanford at 6 USC 10:30 FOX USC -29.5
Likely a blowout but if you want to get a look at Caleb Williams, this is for you. Williams' father said that Caleb may actually stay in school in 24 if they don't like the team with the #1 pick. NIL money has changed things. He is already making millions playing at USC so that may not be an empty threat.

Should also mention Friday night game

Illinois at Kansas 7:30 ESPN2 KU -3.5
Illinois had a great season last year but lost a lot top the NFL. Illinois plays Penn State next week so a chance to get a look at next week's opponent for PSU fans

Game Day is here in Tuscaloosa and it's getting crazy..
With UT-UA tomorrow and Steelers on Sunday it's a big weekend at the speedicut household!

Likely a blowout but if you want to get a look at Caleb Williams, this is for you. Williams' father said that Caleb may actually stay in school in 24 if they don't like the team with the #1 pick. NIL money has changed things. He is already making millions playing at USC so that may not be an empty threat.
And be one more year away from that second contract, which will pay him $60+ million per year if he lives up to the hype. I don't see it, players need to get to that second contract as soon as possible.

NIL aside, this week has a much better slate of games compared to last week. Hopefully we get a lot of close, exciting games.

Also, what does everyone think of the new clock rule in college?

I'm looking towards the UCF v Boise tilt. Should be a fun game.

Because QBs have such long careers, it's not as important they get to that second contract so quickly. QBs can still get paid in their 40s.

RBs are different. They have a short career and do want that second contract which is usually the only big one they get. If you're a stud RB that will go Rd 1 then you want to enter the draft ASAP. What about if you're a great college RB but likely not a 1st rounder? For a guy like that, it might make financial sense to stay 4 years and get paid each year. They can actually make more money in college from NIL than the rookie contract of a Rd 2 or later RB.

Also, if you are a 1st rounder, you can be signed for 4 years plus a 5th year option. So again, if you look to be a 3rd round RB, maybe it makes financial sense to stay in college.

Same could hold for other players. Cash is king. We may see more players stay for 4 years and take that instant cash from NIL. If you are not a 1st rounder it could make sense.

Let's look at Bijan Robinson and Tank Bigsby. Both were stars on their teams

Bijan Robinson Round 1 contract 4 years $21.9 Million - $12.9M signing bonus - Guaranteed $21.9 M
Tank Bigsby Round 3 contract 4 years $5.3 Million - $922K signing bonus - Guaranteed just the signing bonus $922K

Looking at those numbers, Bijan's decision to go to the draft is obvious. Tank, not so much. He could possibly make over $922K from Auburn boosters and NIL. Plus, if you are a 3rd rounder, and you have a great first 2 years, it may be easier for you to hold out to get that big second contract.

And be one more year away from that second contract, which will pay him $60+ million per year if he lives up to the hype. I don't see it, players need to get to that second contract as soon as possible.

NIL aside, this week has a much better slate of games compared to last week. Hopefully we get a lot of close, exciting games.

Also, what does everyone think of the new clock rule in college?
Do these college payments get reported/consolidated anywhere?
Or is there no way to tell how much $$ is going to a player, or a school team?
TIA

Ahhhh... the weekly write up from Tape has my juices flowing and I'm ready to enjoy football all day today and watch the Tide, like our Steelers, prove the talking heads wrong!!!

Playing in Tuscaloosa is not to the advantage of Texas. They are a good team but something about this year's team in Bama is very different - in a good way.

RTR

Ahhhh... the weekly write up from Tape has my juices flowing and I'm ready to enjoy football all day today and watch the Tide, like our Steelers, prove the talking heads wrong!!!

Playing in Tuscaloosa is not to the advantage of Texas. They are a good team but something about this year's team in Bama is very different - in a good way.

RTR
Texas by 17

Love college football Saturdays!

My early games 3 teamer is in..
Wake -10.5 vs Vandy
Virginia +6.5 vs Coach T's alma mater
Colorado -3.5 vs Nebraska

I like what I'm seeing out of Colorado as a team. Nebraska does play man-to-man defense pretty good so this game will be pretty good. Deion's son, at QB, is gonna be someone to watch for the rest of his collegiate career...

Got a few big games this week. Florida State had the statement win vs LSU last week and jumped up to #4. Clemson got rolled by Duke and fell all the way to 25.

Delaware at 7 Penn State 12:00 Peacock Streaming App
Drew Allar had a very impressive debut olast week vs WVU. He made a lot of tough throws, moving in the pocket and making the right read. This game will probably be more of a practice. Likely lots of reps for backup QB Beau Pribula and other second and 3rd stringers.

To stream you can watch on a brownser at Peacock.com or download that Peacock app for devices or smart TVs. You do not have to pay for the peacock+ subscription. The App will make you register for an account with email that will allow you to watch games as part of the free Peacock content.

10 Notre Dame at NC State 12:00 ABC ND -7.5

Notre Dame has looked good so far, bullying teams with their OL. NC State probably can't hold up either

12 Utah at Baylor 12:00 ESPN Utah -8
Utah dominated Florida last week. Florida may not be great but they are still a talented team and Utah pounded them with their backup QB.

Nebraska at 22 Colorado 12:00 FOX Colo -3
Surprised Colorado isn't favored by 50 after all of the hype from beating TCU. Nebraska lost another close one last week to Minnesota. Colorado has better skill athletes. Nebraska is bigger and more physical. Seems this game can go 2 ways. Nebraska just runs the ball, hold it for like 40 minutes and wears Colorado down. OR, Colorado hits some big plays, goes up big, nebraska has to throw to keep pace and the wheels come off.

20 Ole Miss at 24 Tulane 3:30 ESPN2 Miss -7.5
This could be a pretty good game.

23 Texas A&M at Miami 3:30 ABC TAM -4
both beat up on a cupcake last week. A&M has had some great recruiting classes but hasn't broken through yet. Jimbo Fisher's seat could get warm if they lose this one.

SMU at 18 Oklahoma 6:00 OU -15.5
SMU already won this week when they got invited to join the ACC. Huge win for their program to not be left out in the cold. Brent Venables second year at OK after spending years as DC at Clemson. His complex defenses were a huge part of their success. Last year it was dicey but maybe OK has the defense down better in year 2 of the scheme.

11 Texas at 3 Alabama 7:00 ESPN ALa -7
The gamne of the week. Texas should have won this matchup last year but they choked it away. Texas matches up well vs what Bama likes to do. After throwing a bunch with Mac Jones and Bryce Young, Bama is trying to get back to running the ball. New QB Jalen Milroe was fine last week vs Middle Tenn but how much do you take away from that?
Quinn Ewers had a hot start vs Bama last year but got injured. Texas is looking for that breakthrough game to get back in playoff consideration

13 Oregon at Texas Tech 7:00 FOX Ore -6.5

19 Wisconsin at Wash State 7:30 ABC Wis -6

New Wisc coach Luke Fickell is trying to install air raid offense at Wisky with SMU transfer QB Tanner Mordecai. They had a rough start vs Buffalo last week so it may take time to come together.

OK, tape - how do you watch for free at Peacock.com? The only option I see is a monthly $5.99 but cancel anytime. No free streaming that I can see.

Have not watched college ball in 30 years up till last year. Watching UGA. 31-0. It could be 50-0 in 2nd half. you just dont see this in the NFL

OK, tape - how do you watch for free at Peacock.com? The only option I see is a monthly $5.99 but cancel anytime. No free streaming that I can see.

i was wrong about that. I thought it would be in the free section but it's not. I do think you will be able to watch the replay for free later but to watch live, apparently you have to subscribe. Money grubbers everywhere.

You're not missing much. It's like watching the Blue White game. Delaware is playing 5 DBs and taking away big plays. Penn State could probably run every play and win but they're mixing run pass. Allar is having to take the checkdowns a lot to keep chains moving. Good that he's stayed disciplined and making the right reads and not trying to force plays