• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 3

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football week 3

Last week ended up with a bunch of upsets as 3 top 10 teams lost and a total of 7 ranked teams lost. Plus the close call for Bama. Apparently Saban has a voodoo doll to knock out the Texas QB whenever they play.

Nebraska fired Scott Frost. He was 5-22 in one score games. How badly did they want to get rid of Frost? They had top pay him a $15 Million buyout. If they waited until Oct 1 that would have been reduce by 50%. So they paid an extra 7.5 Million to get rid of him now. Maybe they just didn't want the blowut vs Oklahoma. Personally, I think Nebraska AD Trev Alberts was doing his buddy Scott Frost a favor. He had to be fired. He did it early to give his friend a pile of cash. Nebraska should fire Alberts next.

Looks like a mostly cupcake weekend but here's the best

22 Penn State at Auburn 3:30 CBS PSU -3
Penn State thumped Ohio as they should. The OL was much improved and freshman RB Nick Singleton went off, against Ohio. It will be tougher vs Auburn but the improvement of the OL and more young WRs getting involved is a good sign. Penn State's secondary is great. Auburn's passing game sucks. Bo Nix moved on to Oregon and Auburn is rotating QBs. Auburn struggled to beat San Jose State at home last week. I watched most of that game and it was like going to the dentist.

This game will be about Penn State's run defense vs Auburn's RBs. New DC Manny Diaz has been very aggressive so far for PSU. With Auburn's almost non existant passing game, will Diaz just single up his DBs and send everybody else to stuff the run?

Auburn had a great secondary last year but lost some guys to the NFL. Transfer WR Mitchell Tinsley has been great so far. PSU has a lot of weapons and can attack a lot of ways. If Penn State can hit a few plays and get up double digits, Auburn could be in big trouble if they have to throw.

The big question is whether PSU plays Drew Allar some at QB. He hit some big throws last week but Auburn's defense is a big step up from Ohio. I assumed Allar would just play in blowout situations, but now it looks like Franklin may be planning on Allar starting by the end of the year.

I do see a scenario where PSU can win big. As i said, if AUburn has to throw, bad things could happen for them vs a Penn State secondary that has playmakers. But it is a road game and Auburn has a knack for dragging teams into muddy battles. I have a feeling Penn State wins a close one.

6 Oklahoma at Nebraska 12:00 FOX Oklahoma -11
used to be one of the games of the year almost every year. Seems anti-climactic now. Nebraska is in complete turmoil. Could firing Frost be a wake up call that gets the players to pick up their games? Could Oklahoma overlook Nebraska now? I guess that could be possible if Oklahoma had somebody like Texas next week, but i have a feeling they won't look past Nebraska for next week's big game vs Kansas State. This one could get ugly. Surprised the line is only 11. If Nebraska gets blown out, the wheels could come off their recruiting.

Cal at Notre Dame 2:30 NBC ND -11
Notre Dame is 0-2 and desperate after the loss to Marshal. New coach Marcus Freeman is the first ND coach to start his career 0-3 (he coached the bowl last year). ND doesn't just have to win, they have to look good and get the offense going. Next 3 games are North Carolina, BYU and Stanford. If ND's offemnse doesn't get going, they could drop a few of those. Getting things on the right track starts with pummelling Cal.

12 BYU at 25 Oregon 3:30 FOX Ore -3.5
BYU is coming of a tough 2OT win vs Baylor last week. Oregon bet up on a cupcake last week but is still probably stunned from the beatdown vs Georgia week 1. It's a bit surprising Oregon is favored by more than 3. I guess they are putting a lot on homefield advantage. BYU has become a good run team and is not the old throw a bunch teams most think of with BYU.

20 Ole Miss at Georgia Tech 3:30 ABC MS -16.5
may not be much of a game but you never know. The ratings of this game will probably depend on how often both the Penn State and BYU games are on commercial at the same time

11 Michigan State at Washington 7:30 ABC Wash -3
this line is puzzling. MSU has a good bit of hype around them and yet they are a dog vs a pac 12 team? I get it that Wash can be a tough place to play but this still seems like a lot of respect for Wash. Wash will start Indiana transfer Michael Penix at QB, so this will be his 3rd game vs Sparty. Last time he threw for 320 and won 24-0. MSU DE/LB Jacoby Windmon leads the nation in sacks with 5.5. Wash has only given up 2 sacks so far. Mich state hasn't won a game on the west coast since the 50s.

13 Miami at 24 Texas A&M 9:00 ESPN TAM -6
This may be the most interesting game of the day. Other than Penn State obviously. TAM is coming off the big upset by App State. Miami has been untested. Miami's run game has been strong vs 2 cupcakes. You would think TAM would be much tougher but App State racked up 180 yds rushing against them last week. Early in the season, sometimes bad games like that are just miscommunication that can be fixed. Or sometimes it's a fundamental flaw. Miami has supposedly been "back" for years but they have constantly fizzled. TAM will be pissed after their loss. This is Miami's first road game and sometimes that can be an issue. I hope this is a good game to end the night and not a 14-10 punt fest.

Last edited:
I was encouraged to see Allar get as much playing time as he did against Ohio. The kid is a stud -- he needs to become the starter sooner than later, I don't care that it's Clifford's 10th year in college.

I think Penn State beats Auburn rather easily. Looks like they have a really strong freshman class.

I will take a one point victory at this point :(

Go Irish!

I think the 9pm game might be the best of the bunch this week..

Ahhh - Bryce throws an ill-advised INT but...

Bama picks the ball off for a TD. All is well in the world.

14-0