• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Championship Week

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football Championship Week

It's Championship week which means we should jump right in with the most important issue

Penn State has hired a new OC. Kansas OC Andy Kotelnicki. He was OC for Kansas HC Lance Leipold at Wisconsin WHitewater, then Buffalo, then Kansas. It means something when a HC takes you with him to multiple stops. Makes me wonder if Leipold is on the move somewhere too.

Kansas has had a very good offense with far less talent than PSU. Playing Big 12 defense does help, but his main strength is his emphasis bending his scheme to players rather than forcing players into a scheme. Mike Yurcich's failing was he was trying do do a lot all at once.

Great timing for the hire because the portal opens on Dec 4.

On to the less important non-PSU news

Friday 12/1

Conference USA Championship
New Mexico State at 24 Liberty 7:00 CBSSN Lib-11

This game is relevant because Liberty is unbeaten. Win this game and they may find themselves in a New Year 6 bowl.

Pac 12 Championship - Las Vegas
5 Oregon vs 3 Washington ABC 8:00 ABC Ore-10

This game is huge for playoff implications. Wash won the first matchup. They are obviously in if they win. By ranking Oregon 5, they have already told us that they are in the playoff with a win. The question is, could Washington also get in with a loss?

Bo Nix can win the Heisman with a big game.

Saturday 12/2

Big 12 Championship - Cowboys Stadium
18 Oklahoma State vs 7 Texas 12:00 ABC Tex-15.5

Texas is on the outside looking in. They need this win to bump up the resume and hope for Florida State to lose. With a win over a ranked team, they probalu jump 6 Ohio State (idle) and the loser of Wash/Oregon. Then they just need that Florida State loss and they can get in. If Bama beats Georgia, they wouldn't possibly put them in over a Texas team that beat them would they? Texas has been a bit shaky.

SEC Championship - Atlanta
1 Georgia at 8 Alabama 4:00 CBS UGA-5.5

If Georgia wins then they are 1 seed and Bama is out. But what if Bama pulls the upset? Just like Texas, they'd jump idle OSU and need that Florida State loss. Then i'd bet money that the committee would put Bama in over Texas, as absurd as that would be.

The Auburn game struggles means nothing. It's a heated rivalry and Auburn gave them their best for about 59:28 until they gave up a Tecmo Bowl pass to lose at the end.

Can bama win? Yes. Georgia may be the best team this year but they are not the unbeatable team they were last year. It's been mostly easy this year. Bama has been in more fights. Milroe's scrambling ability is the wildcard that gives them a shot.

I do think Georgia will win though because they've been so steady. They won't find the bananna peel like Auburn did.

American Athletic Championship - New Orleans
SMU at 22 Tulane 4:00 ABC Tul-3.5

Just like Liberty, Tulane is fighting for a possible NY6 bowl with a win.

Big 10 Championship - Indianapolis
2 Michigan vs 16 Iowa 8:00 FOX Mich-22

This is the last year of the Big Ten East and West divisions. No more divisions going forward. The East is 9-0 vs the West in the B10 Championship. It will soon be 10-0. I'll be surprised if Iowa scores more than 6. Harbaugh will be back for this one. The only question with this game is whether Harbaugh will try to make a petty statement by running up the score.

ACC Championship - Charlotte
14 Louisville vs 4 Florida State 8:00 ABC FSU-1.5

Nobody but FSU fans want them to win this game. If FSU wins, then the playoff is likely all set. FSU has been shaky since they lost their QB for the season. Bama, Texas need them to lose or they have no path. If Wash loses, then they need the FSU loss too. Basically everyone ranked out of the top 4 needs an FSU loss. And most of the nation probably wants a FSU loss just so we don't have to watch them get blown out.

I don't think FSU with a backup QB is better than Bama, Texas, Ohio State. But you can't just toss out an undefeated Power 5 Champion. The actual results have to count for something or else we should just go by the recruiting rankings every year to identify the "best" teams.

Can the committee snub an undefeated FSU? I guess it's possible but a win vs Louisville would be a quality win with their backup QB. It would essentially say that the regular season results are meaningless and the committee just does whatever they want.

Playoff Rankings likely final seeding with FSU win
1 Georgia - probably in even with a loss to Bama
2 Michigan - would have to implode vs Iowa not to get in
3 Pac 12 Champ - near certainty the Ore vs Wash winner goes here
4 Florida State

What if FSU loses?

AND

Only one of Texas and Bama win, then that winner is 4 seed.

8 Bama and 7 Texas both win
Seems a no brainer. Texas is ranked higher, will have another ranked win vs Louisville and beat Bama by 10 in Tuscaloosa. But i just think this committe will do their favorite thing and jam 2 SEC teams in there.

What if Georgia wins, FSU loses, and Oregon wins a last second classic vs Washington leaving them with 1 loss each? I think this scenario would see both Oregon and Washington in the playoff.

How can Ohio State get in? Almost impossible.
FSU loss, Bama Loss, Texas Loss, Washington vs Oregon is a crap game where they both look awful.

The only other way is a Michigan loss but I just can't see that.

Here's one final what if. What if Bama beats Georgia and sneaks in. They meet Oregon in the Championship game where they are beaten by former Auburn QB Bo Nix.

Oh yeah, Jim harbaugh is still a cheater.

Nice breakdown, Tape!

Georgia is in with a win or loss. They just aren't going to get penalized as defending champs with a loss to Bama.

Michigan and the Pac-12 winner is guaranteed in with a win.

I'm not sure if FSU makes it if it's a close win. Undefeated P5 champ should get in, but the committee will consider the QB play.

Ohio State is out. You can't get rewarded sitting at home.

Texas will need a win and a help. FSU and Alabama would have to lose.

Alabama is in with a win. I'm not worried about them beating Texas. Alabama over Georgia is a better resume builder than Texas over Alabama. Both Georgia and Alabama are playing much better than earlier this season.

Hoping Louisville upsets Florida St....only because without their stating QB, I dont feel they should be in the Final 4.

Rather see the Big Ten champ in that final spot.

Thanks tapeANaspirin2it, I enjoy these weekly write ups. It really does draw me a little towards college football.

Salute the nation

I'm gonna get drunk before I respond to this thread...

berm,

"Fat and Drunk is no way to go through life" (Animal House)

Salute the nation

I think it’s absurd to call any scenario regarding which team gets in “absurd”. What’s absurd is a four team playoff representing 133 teams and ten conferences. That being said, as much as I think Bama and Ohio State may very well be among the top 4 teams in college football, its absurd to include two teams from any one conference given the format.

Oregon is playing better than Washington right now and wins.
Alabama knows it's a win or out where Georgia is in no matter what.
Louisville beats Flordia St.
Michigan wins.
Texas wins.

Michigan
Georgia
Alabama
Oregon

Not saying it's fair or not, just my opinion on how the voting goes.

Forgot Stupid. Not that Berm is stupid… he may be fat… he’s definitely drunk.

I didn’t forget, I‘m just not insulting my Steeler friend………………

Salute the nation

There is one more unlikely scenario for Ohio State aside from a Michigan loss that already seems impossible.

FSU loss, Texas loss. Washington loss. Bama beats Georgia in a blowout. I mean like a 20 point blowout where Georgia looks terrible. In this unlikely scenario, I do think they’d pick Ohio State and their only loss vs Michigan over a Georgia team that got blown out.

There is one more unlikely scenario for Ohio State aside from a Michigan loss that already seems impossible.

FSU loss, Texas loss. Washington loss. Bama beats Georgia in a blowout. I mean like a 20 point blowout where Georgia looks terrible. In this unlikely scenario, I do think they’d pick Ohio State and their only loss vs Michigan over a Georgia team that got blown out.
Or the obvious one... excuse me if it's already been stated.... simply a Florida St loss and the top 3 win. OSU is number 6, and that would mean 4 and 5 lost. A Texas loss would seal the deal, just in case someone thinks Texas should jump Ohio St.

I think it would be fun if somehow it ends up Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama. That would piss off a whole lot of people.

We won't blowout GA but I'm praying for a 10 point win...

It's December 1st and I really 'don't feel like drinking' but I'm sipping on some Western Son Vodka...

Let' s back to my first post, in this thread, I don't need to be drunk to respond and I really thank my brother, Tape, for his efforts every week to put this thread together.

Tonight...

It's OREGON vs. WASHINGTON. Personally, methinks Oregon will run away with this one and run away fast. Washington has won way too may close games this season and 'tonight is the night'...

Go Ducks!!! Move Bama up!!!

Wash playing with a chip on their shoulder. Guess they don’t like being 9.5 point underdogs to a team they already beat.