• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 1

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football Week 1

Last week was the appetizer with a few games but it didn't take long for the season's first upset as Northwestern took out Nebraska in Ireland.

It's week 1 so mostly cupcakes but there are a few good matchups starting with some big Thursday night games. Let's get right into it

Penn State at Purdue Thursday 9/1 8:00 FOX PSU -3.5
Did you know that most PSU fans HATE the Big Ten? Penn State is Rodney Dangerfield in the Judge Smails conference and they never miss an opportunity to give PSU No Respect. Case in point. This is 7 years in a row that Penn State opens conference play on the road. And to make it worse, 2023 and 2024 schedules are already set and guess what. PSU will open on the road for 9 years in a row. That makes it 18 road openers in 21 years. Yeah, nothing shady there. I hate these d-bags. The implosion of conferences and ultimate formation of a 30-40 team league can't come fast enough. On to the game

This will be the first ever (i think) matchup of 6th year Senior QBs with PSU's Sean Clifford vs Purdue's Aidan O'Connell. Clifford has had a rocky tenure but he's had 3 different OCs plus a covid year. This is Clifford's first time having the same OC for 2 years in a row.

Lots of PSU fans hate on clifford, but experience and system and surrounding talent counts for QBs. Where was Kenny Pickett last year at this time? You scoff but here's the numbers

Sean Clifford Career stats
601 of 1005 60.4% 7839 yds 62 TD 24 INT

Kenny Pickett excluding his last season
700 of 1177 60.4% 7984 yds 39 TD 25 INT

Clifford's stats are actually significantly better when you look at the TDs. Not saying Clifford will have a breakout season, just pointing out that QBs often get better with experience. That will not stop PSU fans calling for backup QB 5 star freshman Drew Allar as soon as Clifford throws 2 incompletions in a row.

PSU loses Jahan Dotson at WR but they could be better overall. Last year's #2 Parker Washington had a strong season and they added transfer WR Mitchell Tinsley who has 1400 yds receiving last year at Western Kentucky. The offense also welcomes the top RB recruit in the nation Nick Singleton.

On defense PSU lost key starters at pass rush and S. Jaquan Brisker was in impact player at S but they bring back ther other Safet Ja'ir Brown who lead the nation in INTs with 6 last year. Joey Porter Jr at CB is being looked at as a possible 1st rounder. Last year was about pass rush. This defense is about the secondary that could be one of the top groups in the country

Aidan O'Connel is very experienced and aggressive QB. He led the Big Ten in INTs with 11 so he can be baited into mistakes. Purdue had guys like Rondale Moore and David Bell at WR but right now they seem to lack that playmaker. Purdue's defense could miss DE George Karlaftis.

Purdue should be a good team and anytime you open on the road against a good conference opponent, it can be dicey

This is a huge game for Purdue. They don't play Ohio State of Michigan. A win vs Penn State could set them up for a spot in the Big Ten Championship even if they lose to Wisconsin later.

Oh yeah, the backyard browl is happening again

West Virginia at 17 Pitt Thursday 9/1 7:00 ESPN Pitt -7.5
They haven't played since 2011 but will now play 8 times in the next 11 seasons. Pitt has a lot to replace in Picket and Addison who was purchased by USC in the offseason. USC transfer Kedon Slovis takes over for Pickett in an offense that will likely feature the run more. WVU brought in a bunch of transfers so they may take time to come together. WVU new OC Graham Harrell worked with SLovis at USC so maybe he can tell his defense a few weaknesses to exploit?

WVU has had a good defense in recent years but they only return 4 starters. WVU will start JT Daniels who transfered from both USC and Georgia

Saturday Games

11 Oregon at 3 Georgia 3:30 ABC Georgia -17
Technically a neutral site game in Atlanta but only an idiot would claim this is not a home game for Georgia. Could Georgia have a bit of a hangover from last year? They lose an awful lot of players to the draft but they have tons of talent to replace them. Oregon has a new coach Dan Lanning, who was Georgia's DC last year, taking over for Mario Cristobol who went to Miami. Cristobol had built Oregon into a tough team on defense. Oregon also brings in familiar SEC face Bo Nix at QB. Could Oregon surprise with Lanning knowing some inside info and Nix also having experience vs Georgia? Probably not, but taking that 17 points is tempting.

23 Cincinnati va 19 Arkansas 3:30 ESPN Ark -6.5
can Cincy keep things going without QB Desmond Ridder on offense and Cb Sauce Gardner on defense? Arkansas has been slowly building up the program. This might end up being a tight defensive battle

7 Utah at Florida 7:00 ESPN Utah -3
This is a huge game for Utah if they want a spot in the playoffs. If they were to lose this game, it would probably be used against them to bar them from the playoffs even if they win the Pac 12. The PAC is generally seen as weak and if they have a loss to what may be a middle of the pack SEC team that will haunt them all year. If Utah does lose, the only bright side will be that most people will only watch 30 minutes of this game.

5 Notre Dame at 2 Ohio State 7:30 ABC Ohio State -17
ND has a new coach, promoting DC Marcus Freeman to the head job after Brian Kelly bolted for more money and the recruiting advantages of LSU's bagman network. Quite the game to make a debut. Notre Dame had a great OL 2 years ago and had to rebuild. That takes time and this year that OL should be much improved. Ohio State has tons of athletes but if they have a weakness, it's that they can be outmuscled. The trick is keeping the game close enough to wear them down. I don't think ND can pull this one off but 17 points could be a good bet as Ohio State's offense doesn't always fully click early in the season.

Looking forward to the weekend games!

Especially the Saturday at 730 one!

17 point underdog! Yeah right...

Go Irish!

...at least when Clifford goes down again, PSU has a competent and hopefully well prepared QB to back him up. Last year was a **** show, Franklin hung that poor kid out to dry on National Television.

...at least when Clifford goes down again, PSU has a competent and hopefully well prepared QB to back him up. Last year was a **** show, Franklin hung that poor kid out to dry on National Television.

That backup QB Robinson has transferred out. After that debacle at Iowa, they bumped up the 3rd stringer Christian Veilleux and looked decent. That's why it's a bit of a story that they have freshman Allar as the 2nd stringer ahead of him. He must have looked good in practice. Then again, they thought Robinson was ahead of Veilleux as well.

like the steelers, Penn State has had major OL troubles the last few years. They have been recruiting much better and are now building depth. Also, they switched systems last year and that takes time to learn. Like the steelers, I'm cautiously optimistic about the OL. PSU has had no run game since Miles Sanders left. The OL was bad and they didn't have a stud RB to overcome it. Now they may have that stud RB in Singleton.

I hope Penn State has some blowout games this year so they can get Allar some snaps.

The Big Ten just signed a new TV contract. They are no longer with Disney/ABC/ESPN after the current deal expires. They now have deals with FOX, CBS and NBC. The NBC deal could be what finally gets Notre Dame to join the Big 10. It may allow for a carve out where ND gets to still have most of their games on NBC.

We'll see if Freeman is the right hire. I think he definitely was short term. He was able to hold the team together and keep up recruiting. In this age of transfers, when a coach leaves, a bunch of players can leave too. Is he the long term answer? We'll see.

Notre Dame vs Ohio State will be a hard game to watch for me. Wish they could both lose. If you are a SEC or Big Ten fan and you want 2 teams in the playoff then rooting against ND is a must. A non conference loss for Ohio State won't help PSU either so i suppose i have to root for OSU after the fact, but in the moment I'll probably be pulling for Notre Dame.

The Big Ten just signed a new TV contract. They are no longer with Disney/ABC/ESPN after the current deal expires. They now have deals with FOX, CBS and NBC. The NBC deal could be what finally gets Notre Dame to join the Big 10. It may allow for a carve out where ND gets to still have most of their games on NBC.

We'll see if Freeman is the right hire. I think he definitely was short term. He was able to hold the team together and keep up recruiting. In this age of transfers, when a coach leaves, a bunch of players can leave too. Is he the long term answer? We'll see.

Notre Dame vs Ohio State will be a hard game to watch for me. Wish they could both lose. If you are a SEC or Big Ten fan and you want 2 teams in the playoff then rooting against ND is a must. A non conference loss for Ohio State won't help PSU either so i suppose i have to root for OSU after the fact, but in the moment I'll probably be pulling for Notre Dame.
the-hate-is-strong-in-this-one.jpg

Pitt needs to find a way to defend the tall WVU receivers, it basically loft the ball and jump.

If PSU can't beat Purdue Franklin needs to be fired before he gets on the bus. F--- his 10 year contract...
Buy him out - PSU can afford it.
This is embarrassing. The only time they could run the ball since Franklin's been there was with Barkley and Sanders and those guys did most of the work on their own. Pathetic OL as usual, pathetic play calling..
Damn!

They might have just tied it up, but If pitt loses to West Virginia, it literally will be because Addison transferred… i mean they have had some bad bounces and some dumb brainfarts for sure, but those wiseouts have consistently run bad routes and dropped balls

College Football Week 1

Last week was the appetizer with a few games but it didn't take long for the season's first upset as Northwestern took out Nebraska in Ireland.

It's week 1 so mostly cupcakes but there are a few good matchups starting with some big Thursday night games. Let's get right into it

Penn State at Purdue Thursday 9/1 8:00 FOX PSU -3.5
Did you know that most PSU fans HATE the Big Ten? Penn State is Rodney Dangerfield in the Judge Smails conference and they never miss an opportunity to give PSU No Respect. Case in point. This is 7 years in a row that Penn State opens conference play on the road. And to make it worse, 2023 and 2024 schedules are already set and guess what. PSU will open on the road for 9 years in a row. That makes it 18 road openers in 21 years. Yeah, nothing shady there. I hate these d-bags. The implosion of conferences and ultimate formation of a 30-40 team league can't come fast enough. On to the game

This will be the first ever (i think) matchup of 6th year Senior QBs with PSU's Sean Clifford vs Purdue's Aidan O'Connell. Clifford has had a rocky tenure but he's had 3 different OCs plus a covid year. This is Clifford's first time having the same OC for 2 years in a row.

Lots of PSU fans hate on clifford, but experience and system and surrounding talent counts for QBs. Where was Kenny Pickett last year at this time? You scoff but here's the numbers

Sean Clifford Career stats
601 of 1005 60.4% 7839 yds 62 TD 24 INT

Kenny Pickett excluding his last season
700 of 1177 60.4% 7984 yds 39 TD 25 INT

Clifford's stats are actually significantly better when you look at the TDs. Not saying Clifford will have a breakout season, just pointing out that QBs often get better with experience. That will not stop PSU fans calling for backup QB 5 star freshman Drew Allar as soon as Clifford throws 2 incompletions in a row.

PSU loses Jahan Dotson at WR but they could be better overall. Last year's #2 Parker Washington had a strong season and they added transfer WR Mitchell Tinsley who has 1400 yds receiving last year at Western Kentucky. The offense also welcomes the top RB recruit in the nation Nick Singleton.

On defense PSU lost key starters at pass rush and S. Jaquan Brisker was in impact player at S but they bring back ther other Safet Ja'ir Brown who lead the nation in INTs with 6 last year. Joey Porter Jr at CB is being looked at as a possible 1st rounder. Last year was about pass rush. This defense is about the secondary that could be one of the top groups in the country

Aidan O'Connel is very experienced and aggressive QB. He led the Big Ten in INTs with 11 so he can be baited into mistakes. Purdue had guys like Rondale Moore and David Bell at WR but right now they seem to lack that playmaker. Purdue's defense could miss DE George Karlaftis.

Purdue should be a good team and anytime you open on the road against a good conference opponent, it can be dicey

This is a huge game for Purdue. They don't play Ohio State of Michigan. A win vs Penn State could set them up for a spot in the Big Ten Championship even if they lose to Wisconsin later.

Oh yeah, the backyard browl is happening again

West Virginia at 17 Pitt Thursday 9/1 7:00 ESPN Pitt -7.5
They haven't played since 2011 but will now play 8 times in the next 11 seasons. Pitt has a lot to replace in Picket and Addison who was purchased by USC in the offseason. USC transfer Kedon Slovis takes over for Pickett in an offense that will likely feature the run more. WVU brought in a bunch of transfers so they may take time to come together. WVU new OC Graham Harrell worked with SLovis at USC so maybe he can tell his defense a few weaknesses to exploit?

WVU has had a good defense in recent years but they only return 4 starters. WVU will start JT Daniels who transfered from both USC and Georgia

Saturday Games

11 Oregon at 3 Georgia 3:30 ABC Georgia -17
Technically a neutral site game in Atlanta but only an idiot would claim this is not a home game for Georgia. Could Georgia have a bit of a hangover from last year? They lose an awful lot of players to the draft but they have tons of talent to replace them. Oregon has a new coach Dan Lanning, who was Georgia's DC last year, taking over for Mario Cristobol who went to Miami. Cristobol had built Oregon into a tough team on defense. Oregon also brings in familiar SEC face Bo Nix at QB. Could Oregon surprise with Lanning knowing some inside info and Nix also having experience vs Georgia? Probably not, but taking that 17 points is tempting.

23 Cincinnati va 19 Arkansas 3:30 ESPN Ark -6.5
can Cincy keep things going without QB Desmond Ridder on offense and Cb Sauce Gardner on defense? Arkansas has been slowly building up the program. This might end up being a tight defensive battle

7 Utah at Florida 7:00 ESPN Utah -3
This is a huge game for Utah if they want a spot in the playoffs. If they were to lose this game, it would probably be used against them to bar them from the playoffs even if they win the Pac 12. The PAC is generally seen as weak and if they have a loss to what may be a middle of the pack SEC team that will haunt them all year. If Utah does lose, the only bright side will be that most people will only watch 30 minutes of this game.

5 Notre Dame at 2 Ohio State 7:30 ABC Ohio State -17
ND has a new coach, promoting DC Marcus Freeman to the head job after Brian Kelly bolted for more money and the recruiting advantages of LSU's bagman network. Quite the game to make a debut. Notre Dame had a great OL 2 years ago and had to rebuild. That takes time and this year that OL should be much improved. Ohio State has tons of athletes but if they have a weakness, it's that they can be outmuscled. The trick is keeping the game close enough to wear them down. I don't think ND can pull this one off but 17 points could be a good bet as Ohio State's offense doesn't always fully click early in the season.

Tape, THANK YOU, I always look forward to reading these. Love the write up as I don't get to watch much college football although what I do watch I really enjoy. You help make me better informed and I appreciate that.

Salute the nation