• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 8

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football Week 8

Bye Week for Penn State. Both Army and Navy are ranked together for the first time since the 60s.

There is a possibility that Army and Navy could play 2 weeks in a row this year. They are both in the American conference and unbeaten. Army/Navy is now played the week after Championship week. It's possible they could meet for the American Conference championship, and then the next week, they would play their regular season rivalry game for the Commander in Chief trophy. That would be crazy.

I don't think it's coincidence that Army and navy are unbeaten. NIL has caused havoc with rosters because of all the transfers. There are no transfers for Army or Navy. They are cohesive teams where so many other teams are plugging in new transfers to start.

Friday

2 Oregon at Purdue 8:00 FOX Ore -28.5

Oregon probably rolls but this is a classic letdown scenario after their big win vs Ohio State.

Oklahoma State at 13 BYU ESPN 10:15 BYU -10
BYU is having a great year and looks to be in line for the Big 12 championship and a spot in the playoffs

Saturday

6 Miami at Louisville 12:00 ABC Mia -5

This is actually a trophy game, the Schnellenberger trophy. He coached both schools and is the one who built Miami into a power that Jimmy Johnson took over. Miami is still unbeaten but they are coming off back to back close wins where they had some help from the refs. Miami QB Cam Ward is a Heisman candidate, putting up huge stats. He's so relaxed out there he almost looks bored. Miami needs too keep pace with Clemson and Pitt for a spot in the ACC Championship.

Nebraska at 16 Indiana 12:00 FOX Ind -6.5
Indiana is 6-0 for the first time since 1967. They haven't played a tough schedule thus far. Nebraska is a big step up in opponent. Nebraska's freshman QB gets most of the credit but it's the defense that has Nebraska at 5-1. If Indiana wins this, they are in the mix for the Big 10.

7 Alabama at 11 Tennessee 3:30 ABC Ala -3
Tenn will be without their best defensive player Keenan Pili who tore an ACL. Normally, you would think this was a matchup of the tough Bama defense vs the explosive Tenn offense. This year it's reversed. Bama's defense is suspect and Tenn's defense is saving their struggling offense. 2 weeks ago they both lost to Vandy and Arkansas. Then as a follow up they both barely survived against unranked South Carolina and Florida. Lots of questions with both teams but whoever wins this one is in good shape to go to SEC Championship. The loser will then likely have to run the table to get in the playoff.

12 Notre Dame at Georgia tech 3:30 ND -9.5
same story every week for ND. They just have to keep winning to stay in the playoff hunt. They lost their best DB Benjamin Morrison to an ACL. Ga Tech's starting QB may be a game time decision due to injury. Notre Dame looks to benefit from Army and Navy being ranked. They need to root for them to keep winning because their strength of schedule could use the boost.

24 Michigan at 22 Illinois 3:30 CBS Mich -3.5

Michigan is struggling. Their offense is terrible. When they go with Alex Orji at QB, they are essentially doing wildcat. They appear to be going with 7th year QB Jack Tuttle who can at least throw. Michigan's defense is still tough. This game likely comes down to Illinois QB Luke Altmeyer. MIchigan still has slim playoff hopes that are likely done if they lose this one.

8 LSU at Arkansas 7:00 ESPN LSU -2.5
Arkansas beat Tex A&M and then nearly upset Tennessee last week. Arkansas isn't great but you have to play a good game to beat them. This could be a trap game for LSU. They are coming off the big win over Ole Miss in OT and next up they have ranked games vs Texas A&M and Alabama. LSU better not come out flat.

17 Kansas State at West Virginia 7:30 FOX KSU -2.5
WVU only has 1 conference loss so they are still alive for a spot in the Big 12 Championship. Same with KSU. This is a must win for each and likely a playoff elimination game.

5 Georgia at 1 Texas 7:30 ABC Tex -5
This feels like a playoff game. Texas is rolling but their schedule hasn't been tough so far. Their big wins are Michigan and Oklahoma and neither of those teams are looking good. Georgia's defense has not been good. They were gouged vs Bama and last week gave up 31 to Miss State. But Georgia has been in some battles and their back is against the wall now. Texas hasn't had to stop a good offense yet. This could be a shootout.

I feel a lot better about the game this week. Coach DeBoer better have it game plan together because the rumblings have already started...

#buyout

I feel a lot better about the game this week. Coach DeBoer better have it game plan together because the rumblings have already started...

#buyout
lol….that’s hilarious! What are they 5-1? Including a huge win over Georgia? Nick’s team lost games last season,and the season before,and the season before. 🙂🙂 Always tough going in and replacing a legend.
By the way…..you seem to have quite a bit more patience with the coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. 😁
Just giving you the gears……..Cheers

#buyout

Saban bailed because he knew big money middling programs were going to start draining top tier depth. Coaches that built solid pipelines and have good development systems dont want to be virtual farm systems for other teams...

Saban absolutely left because of NIL. He was smart enough to see that it was about to become near impossible to keep up the old standards. He wanted no part of having to recruit the same DB 4 times in his career.

There's talk that the Big 10 and SEC are negotiating a "challenge" series, like they do in basketball with Big 10 vs ACC etc. This is what TV wants. They want more top matchups and fewer cupcakes. They are also setting up Big 10 and SEC to control things. Soon they are likely to have 6 of the 12 spots guaranteed to go to BIg 10 SEC.

The result is much tougher schedules which will mean champs that may have 2 losses. Nobody expects NFL teams to win all their games. You go 13-4 and it's a great season. That will start to happen in college. Ultimately it will be a good thing but until then, fanbases will still freak out when they lose a game.

lol….that’s hilarious! What are they 5-1? Including a huge win over Georgia? Nick’s team lost games last season,and the season before,and the season before. 🙂🙂 Always tough going in and replacing a legend.
By the way…..you seem to have quite a bit more patience with the coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. 😁
Just giving you the gears……..Cheers

DeBoers team looks bewildered and unprepared at times, like at Vandy.
There doesn't seem to be any needed adjustments at halftime along with some poor play calling at times.
The Vandy loss was probably the worse loss in Bama's modern history. Hard to hold your head up after that cluster.
I'm not ready to throw DeBoer on the Pile Of Mikes yet (Dubose, Price, and Shula), but I am dusting off my pitchfork. :D

DeBoers team looks bewildered and unprepared at times, like at Vandy.
There doesn't seem to be any needed adjustments at halftime along with some poor play calling at times.
The Vandy loss was probably the worse loss in Bama's modern history. Hard to hold your head up after that cluster.
I'm not ready to throw DeBoer on the Pile Of Mikes yet (Dubose, Price, and Shula), but I am dusting off my pitchfork. :D
He has a 2 link chain around his neck.

And I'm certain that the powers that be will be watching very closely because you're absolutely right, the team is not one that can take multiple shots to the mouth and come back and they also don't have the old killer instinct to put teams away by halftime...

Lee Corso is a legend but they need to get him off TV. He can barely speak. I feel uncomfortable whenever he’s on.

Miami and Louisville is a crazy good game. although they gave Miami a TD, refs missed a stupid easy holding call on Miami. this should be 38-31 Louisville right now not 38-38.

Illinois wearing throwbacks. The helmets are painted to look like leather helmets. The uniform looks like Pitt.

Man this place is quite today. some really good games going on.

If I’m an Illinois player, I’m keeping this helmet even if they charged me for it. Especially if they beat Michigan in them. Center of your man cave forever. One of the coolest helmets I’ve ever seen.