• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 4

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football Week 4
Last week was light on key matchups but not this week. This week has several huge matchups that will have playoff implications.

24 Iowa at 7 Penn State 7:30 CBS PSU -14.5

it's the Whiteout that may become a gray-out due to weather. Iowa has a very tough defense. Penn State has scored 30 points in 10 straight games which is the longest streak in the nation.

Iowa struggles on offense. They need their defense to create turnovers to stay in games and they are very good at that. If Penn State doesn't turn the ball over, it's tough to see PSU losing this one. It wasn't pretty for Allar vs Illinois but he was still good and did not turn the ball over.

Iowa is the first 4 man front that PSU has faced this year. Could this lead to some better blocking?

Weather could be a factor as it's supposed to rain all day and the field could be slick. That could help Iowa some since PSU has the speed advantage.

Iowa's defense is almost all zone. They do not have a great pass rush. All zones eventually break if there's no pass rush. The Penn State WRs need to find the holes in the zone and Allar has to be ready to take off running if he has empty space in front of him.

Penn State hasn't had many sacks so far but they've faced some pretty mobile QBs, and the Illinois QB thought it a better idea to throw a quick INT rather than take a sack. PSU could get some sacks this week against a pocket passer.

Auburn at Texas A&M 12:00 ESPN TAM -8
TAM has been written off after the beatdown they took from Miami a few weeks ago. They need this win or things could get ugly for TAM.

4 Florida State at Clemson 12:00 ABC FSU -2
This looked like a game of the year a few weeks ago but then Clemson got blown out by Duke. If Clemson gets blown out at home, Dabo's seat may start to get a bit heated. Some big time recruits may start to have a wandering eye to that transfer portal.

19 Colorado at 10 Oregon 3:30 ABC Ore -21

Apparently you must root for Colorado or you are some sort of ist. Deion is the greatest coach in college football history, maybe the greatest coach in the history of sport. Not just anybody could defeat TCU, Nebraska, and Colorado State in consecutive weeks.

Colorado will be without their 2 way star Travis Hunter after what was reported as a dirty hit. I didn't see it so i don't know. Their defense was bad with him and it may be a trainwreck without him.

The shot that CO has is this is Oregon's first real game after starting with Portland St, Texas Tech and Hawaii. Oregon did have to come from behind to beat Tech so that may have toughened them up a bit.

22 UCLA at 11 Utah 3:30 FOX Utah -6
Utah started the year with a big win vs Florida and followed it up with a tough win at Baylor. ULCA hasn't played anybody yet. Utah will still likely be without starting QB Cam Rising.

15 Ole Miss at 13 Alabama 3:30 CBS Ala -6.5
Bama fell out of the top 10 for the first time in years. Bama is still looking to get over the loss to Texas. They beat USF last week but it wasn't a thing of beauthy, scoring just 17 points with their backup QBs. Now they are going back to starter Jalen Milroe. Bama's usually great defense has had issues too. Will Ole Miss finally get their big win vs Bama?

Arkansas at 12 LSU 7:00 ESPN LSU -17.5
LSU got smoked by FSU in week 1 but they looked strong in their last 2 games. Arkansas is coming off a tough loss at home vs BYU, adding to the SEC's struggles in non-conference power 5 matchups this year.

14 Oregon State at 21 Wash State 7:00 FOX OrSt -3
Beavers and Cougars. Giggidy. These 2 teams could be called the leftovers as they are the 2 best teams not joining another conference in the near future. Fox should have made this one a 10:00 start. It could be a great game but going up against. OSU vs Iowa and OSU vs ND, likely few will see this one.

1 Georgia at UAB 7:30 ESPN2 GA -42.5

Did you know Trent Dilfer is HC at UAB? You do now.

6 Ohio State at 9 Notre Dame 7:30 NBC OSU -3
Huge game for each team. Ohio State still has Mich and Penn State on their schedule so a loss in this game would put their season on thin ice. For years, ND has had a solid defense and a great OL and run game. This year they actually have a QB. Wake Forest transfer Sam Hartman has been great for ND.

Ohio State's offense has not been as explosive as most years. They put up 63 on Western Kentucky but how much stock can be placed in that? Similarly, ND hasn't played a good team yet either. This game is a huge step up in competition for both.

UGA will keep the streak alive. Lol

Great read TapeANaspirin2it, thanks for doing these.

14.5 is a big spread in that PSU game, I think they cover. (I’m no expert)

42.5 is a HUGE spread in the Georgia game, why even play these games? (I already know why). It’s a wait and see if they cover that spread, my gut feeling is they do.

That Ohio State and ND seems to be a good match-up with so much on the line, these days it’s HUGE $$$$$.

Again thank you Tape.

Salute the nation

PSU is getting their No. 2 WR back. He missed last week. But, they have to figure out how to get their 2 headed monster at RB rolling this year. I have no idea how they can go from being so good last year with a terrible OL to being so so this year with a supposedly improved OL. They really need to find that as it will help in games like this and against Ohio State and Michigan, and it will help Allar and the passing game.

Allar's receivers need to catch the ball.

PSU running game has been a disappointment. Not sure if it's the scheme or the OL is overrated or what. May be time for a new OL coach.

Not nearly as dominating as advertised. Now throw in Franklin and some of his boneheaded decisions....don't be surprised if Iowa wins today.

Allar's receivers need to catch the ball.

PSU running game has been a disappointment. Not sure if it's the scheme or the OL is overrated or what. May be time for a new OL coach.

Not nearly as dominating as advertised. Now throw in Franklin and some of his boneheaded decisions....don't be surprised if Iowa wins today.

Eh I am nervous but since its in HV and Iowa's offense is not the greatest, worse than Illinois even, I think they might still eek out a win. The D should keep Iowa's offense in check. An I think teams are focused on stopping the PSU running attack, and making Allar beat them, and that is why the running game has been stagnant. Allar needs to play better tonight.

PSU is getting their No. 2 WR back. He missed last week. But, they have to figure out how to get their 2 headed monster at RB rolling this year. I have no idea how they can go from being so good last year with a terrible OL to being so so this year with a supposedly improved OL. They really need to find that as it will help in games like this and against Ohio State and Michigan, and it will help Allar and the passing game.

big runs are almost always due to downfield blocks by TE and WR. Brenton Strange was a good blocker at TE and the WRs Parker Washington and Mitchell Tinsley were physical and also made blocks. That’s what’s missing. Downfield blocks from WRs.

Wait a minute. How did Dabo Sweeney pick up a kicker THIS week. Didn’t the semester start a month ago? Student athlete?

Has anybody followed the Mel Tucker at Michigan State situation? Here's the quick version of what happened.

MSU hired a woman to do a seminar on sexual harassment. Mel Tucker struck up a friendship with this woman. Over the next several months, they had regular calls of 30+ minutes, sometimes after midnight. The woman now claims that on one of the calls, it turned into sex chat and Tucker was jacking it.

Weeks later, Tucker ended the relationship. The woman then alleged harassment over that call. Tucker admits that but says it was consensual. When asked why she didn't just hang up the phone, the woman said it did not occur to her. Weeks after that phone sex incident, she texted Tucker to wish him happy father's day.

Sounds fishy to me. I find it hard to believe that she would not have just hung up if she was so upset.

Mich State gave Tucker a HUGE contract, $95 million i believe, after he had 1 good season. I think MSU is using this to void that contract. They don't have to pay him a cent if they fire him for cause. MSU knew about these charges months ago and allowed Tucker to still coach the team. They only took action after it became public.

Tucker says he will sue them.

I wonder what a female perspective would be for this.

I'm digging Oregon's uniforms today.

Bama seems to have accepted that Milroe is a RB that throws and not a QB. You can win a lot of college games with that formula.

Colorado looking very outmatched up front early

Colorado getting completely blowed out.

Colorado getting completely blowed out.
I read an interesting article about Colorado. They said only Sanders (QB) would be a sure fire early 2024 draft pick. Travis Hunter and one or 2 other guys were mentioned for early 2025 picks, but they dont have a lot of elite talent. The team has been playing much better than the individual parts. Oregon has much more talent and so far this game it is showing. Colorado is getting run over at the moment.

Oregon opening holes for their running backs.