• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Where DO we stand on the biggest factor on the team?

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Yes, I'm talking QB here. After all of what we heard, where do you think we actually stand on the QB position? I'm taking the simple route.

1.) We heard about the "upcoming QB competition," and how that "competition is good for any position." Hmmmm, yes. Sure it is. But at the same time we are hearing that assertion from Rooney, Kahn and Tomlin, we hear the new OC "only" talk about Pickett when talking QBs and no one else. It seems obvious to me, that Smith had a meeting with Rooney and in that meeting it was obvious the team was leaning heavily to Kenny "winning" the "QB competition." Because, let's not forget, that Rooney happened to "mention" that he "still believes in Kenny." The guy who writes the checks. Think that might be a tad significant?

2.) So who is the QB "competition" they are so found of mentioning? I'd say it's safe to say it is some combination of the re-signing of Mason, another mid-tier vet and/or a rookie. I'd say the QB unit will be Kenny, Mason and say a Tannehill or a Joe Milton III or Rourke. If Mason does leave the QB room will still include some vet and a rookie. But, surprise, surprise, Kenny will "win" the QB "competition." As Cowher pointed out in 2022, there really is no such thing as a 3-way QB competition, and there wasn't then, even though the Steelers tried to "pretend" there was. It was always Trubisky's job. And this time it's Kenny's, unless his complete FAIL in productivity remains, with 1/2 a TD a game and in the 30's at QBR. If KP remains a 50-50 TD-int QB, it's gonna be hard to keep him as the starter. (He currently has 13 TDs and 13 ints for his career, not so good.)

If the trio (Rooney, Kahn, Tomlin) are wrong about Kenny, we could be in for a long 2024. We could "limp into" the playoffs like 2023, but it will be another quick exit and another year without a playoff win (8).

Do you "think" Kenny" was the only "one" mentioned because he is the "only" "QB" on the "roster" at the moment?

"We" should probably at least get "closer" to the new "season" before we start "bitching" about the "new" season.

Do you "think" Kenny" was the only "one" mentioned because he is the "only" "QB" on the "roster" at the moment?

"We" should probably at least get "closer" to the new "season" before we start "bitching" about the "new" season.
Bingo. Mason isn't signed. It would be premature to mention him in the competition until/unless he eventually is. Any other NFL QB is still on another team's roster until the beginning of FA. Can't talk about them without possibly losing a draft pick. Wanna do that?
Why talk about QBs you might be interested in the draft? What good does that do?

Bingo. Mason isn't signed. It would be premature to mention him in the competition until/unless he eventually is. Any other NFL QB is still on another team's roster until the beginning of FA. Can't talk about them without possibly losing a draft pick. Wanna do that?
Why talk about QBs you might be interested in the draft? What good does that do?
No, it's far more than that. Not asking for anyone to name the other QBs but to speak how they do on Kenny, you know damn well there ain't gonna be a real competition. You want to bet?

I happen to agree with the team management not giving up on KP. After all he is only going into his 3rd year, and a huge investment was made. I fully expect that he gets the chance to show if he can get better with a real OC. If he shows any progress, I expect him to get his 4th year also. If at the end of 3, he still looks bad, then look for the search to start again. If he looks better, then after 4 is where you decide.

I do expect to see a vet, over the hill QB to be brought in as a b/u. They give you 1-2 years, just like KP’s timeframe.

I also expect them to take a flyer on a young QB, either late or udfa.

I do NOT agree with a one year reclamation project RENTAL in Fields. Now if for some reason they could get him in a trade AFTER he agreed to a 4 year 30M deal, then I might be interested. I would also include incentives to pay him more if he turns it around. Under no circumstances would I trade for him if it only meant a single year under contract. They already have a reclamation project on the roster, you don’t need two with only a year to decide.

Last edited:
No, it's far more than that. Not asking for anyone to name the other QBs but to speak how they do on Kenny, you know damn well there ain't gonna be a real competition. You want to bet?
I dunno. How much would you have bet that they would hand the job to Kenny as soon as he was healthy at the end of last year? How much that he would start the playoff game. I think that some of the "new toy" shine has worn off for some within the organization. It's up to him to rekindle that love affair by improving.

I happen to agree with the team management not giving up on KP. After all he is only going into his 3rd year, and a huge investment was made. I fully expect that he gets the chance to show if he can get better with a real OC. If he shows any progress, I expect him to get his 4th year also. If at the end of 3, he still looks bad, then look for the search to start again. If he looks better, then after 4 is where you decide.

I do expect to see a vet, over the hill QB to be brought in as a b/u. They give you 1-2 years, just like KP’s timeframe.

I also expect them to take a flyer on a young QB, either late or udfa.

I do NOT agree with a one year reclamation project RENTAL in Fields. Now if for some reason they could get him in a trade AFTER he agreed to a 4 year 30M deal, then I might be interested. I would also include incentives to pay him more if he turns it around. Under no circumstances would I trade for him if it only meant a single year under contract. They already have a reclamation project on the roster, you don’t need two with only a year to decide.
I think he gets this year (on a short leash). Remember, they have to decide whether to pick up his 5th year option before his 4th year. If they determine that they're not picking up his option, what good does giving him a 4th year do? Plus, they've all but said that this year is "make or break" for him.

I think he gets this year (on a short leash). Remember, they have to decide whether to pick up his 5th year option before his 4th year. If they determine that they're not picking up his option, what good does giving him a 4th year do? Plus, they've all but said that this year is "make or break" for him.
Pickett has to start or at least be given the first look at starting this year for sure. Third years are ultra key for draft picks and a great many never really break out until year 3 . You absolutely have to make that fifth year decision about the guy after the season.
If he doesnt break out, he still likely is on the team next season, maybe even as the starter, but tgey likely draft a guy to replace him next draft...

The plan never is to hand the job to a draft pick, so they probably would sit a guy drafted next year behind 4 th year pickett or whomever they sign as backup...

Rarely, such as with Drew Brees, a guy who faltered in year 3 breaks out in year 4... but his replacement is already onboard and you cant really commit ufa qb money to a guy with one good season ( see Daniel jones) so Pickett would be gone after the season in that case

They won’t give up on Kenny yet.
Goes into season QB1A.
Sign Mason who really gets his best chance to start here and he goes into season as QB1B.
Kenny’s job to lose and if he wins it will be on short leash.
Probably draft someone like Spencer Rattler in the fifth round or sign the 35 year old Tannehill.
That’s who the Steelers are!
Can’t see them trading for Fields, or signing Wilson, and Cousins ain’t happening at 35 million a year.

Unless they are signing Cousins or Mayfield, I'm no sure there is an upgrade out there. Wilson is interesting, but that dude doesn't seem to vibe with his teammates. Fields has had three bad seasons, I don't quite get why so many are high on him (not on this board). I'd like to think Pickett is poised for a breakout season, he's just been so bad in terms of playmaking and throwing TDs, I have little reason to believe. Pocket presence can't be coached, he needs to figure that one out on his own.

I dunno. How much would you have bet that they would hand the job to Kenny as soon as he was healthy at the end of last year? How much that he would start the playoff game. I think that some of the "new toy" shine has worn off for some within the organization. It's up to him to rekindle that love affair by improving.

AGREE.

So far Kenny hasn’t shown much. Give the new OC / scheme time to kick in. By game 5-7-ish, we should know if KP8 has turned it up or not. If it’s the not, you set him and put #2 in, provided #2 can be a step up.

If they draft 1st round QB, if he isn’t starting outright season, you insert him because he would be ready by that time frame, Kenny was inserted about in that time range as well.

Salute the nation

They won’t give up on Kenny yet.
Goes into season QB1A.
Sign Mason who really gets his best chance to start here and he goes into season as QB1B.
Kenny’s job to lose and if he wins it will be on short leash.
Probably draft someone like Spencer Rattler in the fifth round or sign the 35 year old Tannehill.
That’s who the Steelers are!
Can’t see them trading for Fields, or signing Wilson, and Cousins ain’t happening at 35 million a year.

I’d take Rattler in the 5th as well.

Salute the nation

I agree with that part about rekindling the love affair by improving, and if he does - by a lot - then coolio. But if they hold out HOPE that just because they USED to love him and that THAT factor makes them overrate him even though he doesn't deserve it, then, no bueno.

we have been hearing daily on ESPN Twitter, vegas odds and Instagram that Pitt that we interested in Fields, but with Pickett heading into a crucial year 3 why do bring in a wild card QB like Fields who has had a bad sup par career some glimpses when you have just brought in a new O staff, it doesn't look like the right move it shows, lost faith in Kenny, here is the guy now believe in winner stays, Loser next year gone.
the smart vets to bring or keep to push Kenny are Mason, Minshew, Tannahill
Fa Big needs some names
MLB Devon White Leonard
C Biadez Williams James (vegas), if the shift fo may have, has interested a CB from the combine or fa or via Trade like KC Sneed Jackson
Kelce said he is retiring but unless a contender makes a big pitch I think he chills at home with his kids
CB Sneed Jackson Okudah Ya-sin
RT Jonah williams

we have been hearing daily on ESPN Twitter, vegas odds and Instagram that Pitt that we interested in Fields, but with Pickett heading into a crucial year 3 why do bring in a wild card QB like Fields who has had a bad sup par career some glimpses when you have just brought in a new O staff, it doesn't look like the right move it shows, lost faith in Kenny, here is the guy now believe in winner stays, Loser next year gone.
the smart vets to bring or keep to push Kenny are Mason, Minshew, Tannahill
Fa Big needs some names
MLB Devon White Leonard
C Biadez Williams James (vegas), if the shift fo may have, has interested a CB from the combine or fa or via Trade like KC Sneed Jackson
Kelce said he is retiring but unless a contender makes a big pitch I think he chills at home with his kids
CB Sneed Jackson Okudah Ya-sin
RT Jonah williams
Not really big on Ya-sin. Sneed sure.

I tell you regardless what they do in the draft in free agency I would snag a CB, QB, and a C.

For me these are must signings...

For me they can debate the who but not the positions....

So they don’t pick up the 5th year option, it still gives you year 4 to decide if you move on or not. You can always sign him to an extension or new contract before he hits RFA if he shows enough improvement to warrant the contract. The 5th year option really only comes into play with top picks who are excelling, and you want to get another year at slightly better rates than a new contract will require in year 6.

Hell…
I’m still trying to figure out why our coaching staff thought trubisky was better than Rudolph?
Because of the Draft position MT was chosen. Everyone knows Mediocre Mike is sure that a first rounder is always better than a 3rd rounder.

So they don’t pick up the 5th year option, it still gives you year 4 to decide if you move on or not. You can always sign him to an extension or new contract before he hits RFA if he shows enough improvement to warrant the contract. The 5th year option really only comes into play with top picks who are excelling, and you want to get another year at slightly better rates than a new contract will require in year 6.
OH, I understand their options if they don't pick up the 5th year. I'm looking at it from a Steelers historical sense in that when they haven't picked up the 5th, that guy's days in Pittsburgh are numbered. Also, not picking up the 5th year on a QB seems a little different.
1. You play them and they improve in year 4. Now you have to scramble to get a contract done to extend them if you truly believe they've turned the corner. And maybe they decide they want to test the FA market. That means you have to tag and overpay them.
2. See Jones (NYG). You pay them and find out year 4 was fool's gold.

Fowler: Even as they sort out their quarterback outlook, the Steelers have started the process of rebuilding third-year passer Kenny Pickett. I’m told new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith recently spent time with Pickett in South Florida and that the two had a “great” meeting. The sentiment among many here in Indy — including some with the team — was that Pickett could get another chance after a disastrous 2023 season due in part to the offense’s overall struggles under then-OC Matt Canada. Smith should help maximize Pickett’s skill set.

Fowler: Even as they sort out their quarterback outlook, the Steelers have started the process of rebuilding third-year passer Kenny Pickett. I’m told new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith recently spent time with Pickett in South Florida and that the two had a “great” meeting. The sentiment among many here in Indy — including some with the team — was that Pickett could get another chance after a disastrous 2023 season due in part to the offense’s overall struggles under then-OC Matt Canada. Smith should help maximize Pickett’s skill set.
I would disagree that 2023 was a disastrous season for KP. Not great one by any mean not even good. but not disastrous